Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Jennifer

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 13 Aug 2018, 17:34

Is "Story Feed" still publishing Alex Jones-style slanders, a la "The Sandy Hook parents are conspirators telling lies about their allegedly dead kids?"
Last edited by Jennifer on 13 Aug 2018, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Mo » 13 Aug 2018, 17:35

The problem is their algorithm rewards inflammatory stuff like Infowars and Trump rallies. At least when ABC goes crowd pleasing it goes saccharine.

Make it purely chronological and no one cares.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 13 Aug 2018, 18:51

I'm convinced that FB in its current form is a net negative. I can't speak to other social media outlets, but I suspect the same is true there. Unfortunately, I don't see a way out. Social media has become so ingrained that there's probably no way it's going away, or even lessening its presence anytime soon.
While I'm not in favor or government involvement, I have no problem saying social media dalenda est.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Aug 2018, 19:59

thoreau wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 16:05
Who said Shem was calling for coercive regulation? If CBS gave holocaust deniers an hour of prime time, businesses would pull ads so fast that there would be sonic booms.
Because he used what looked like the governmental pseudo-first-person "we" instead of "advertisers" or "stockholders" or whatever.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Aug 2018, 20:05

I took that to be "society we" rather than "government we", but I see the ambiguity.

We (English speakers) need a few different first-person-plural forms. We'll add that to gender-neutral pronouns and phonetic spelling on the list of linguistic reforms.

Plus the use of Shire Reckoning.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Aug 2018, 20:08

Shem wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 15:35
As someone with a dedication to maintaining the best possible connection to something approximating what actually happened in the past, some things shouldn't be up for debate. Where the line goes is a worry, certainly, but that fact alone doesn't mean there shouldn't be a line.
There should be a line, a line we won't agree on, a line we won't actually have any influence on setting in practice, a line that will in practice be set by assholes with marching Nazis on their side some portion of the time—but we gotta agree, there's gotta be a line!

There's a fuckton of people who think most of the shit people say on this board should be past the line. Fuck the line. I'm barely comfortable with our libel and slander laws, because I keep looking over at the UK as how they can be made to go wrong.
thoreau wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 20:05
I took that to be "society we" rather than "government we", but I see the ambiguity.
Fuck "society" setting the line, too. This is the society where nearly half the voting public actually wanted Donald Trump to be president. Where people freak out about how insufficiently Christian Starbucks' holiday coffee cups are.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Aug 2018, 20:42

Team Eric
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Aug 2018, 21:19

and me
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Aug 2018, 21:33

Wasn't there a story about some clerk grabbed a marker and wrote "Merry Christmas" on the cup when a customer complained.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Aug 2018, 21:39

Unrelated, there needs to be a term for the situation where someone points it that one side of an debate is doing something, someone on that side denies that thing is happening, and immediately, a pile of people on that side start justifying that exact thing that "isn't happening".

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Aug 2018, 21:41

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 20:08
Fuck "society" setting the line, too. This is the society where nearly half the voting public actually wanted Donald Trump to be president. Where people freak out about how insufficiently Christian Starbucks' holiday coffee cups are.
And yet, it's the society we live in. And the nature of the commons and our population level pretty much means we either hash out some expectations re: stuff that'll get you shunned by polite society, or we get used to the idea of people with compromised immune systems getting measles. Because "reasoned debate with people like Jenny McCarthy" doesn't seem to be working.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Aug 2018, 22:44

Shem wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 21:41
And yet, it's the society we live in.
Which should be your first fucking clue that doing anything to help society, where the likes of McCarthy are a Hell of a lot more influential than you or me, establish the kind of line you so wistfully talk about is incredibly stupid.

ETA: I mean, what is your thought process, here?

"We'll fix public discourse by excluding views that aren't sane and sensible."

"But sane and sensible have tiny and fragile backing to begin with. "

"That's OK, we'll..." ...do what, exactly?

How does this line of thought go anywhere plausibly good?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Aug 2018, 10:31

I'll just say that I understand the instinct to deplatform, but the who gets to decide thing is the whole thing and it is too scary to entertain, plus I do think that it is at a basic level healthy to have those voices in the open and responses to them constantly in the mix.

It is very much my sense that the most strident advocates of de-platforming would not blink about doing so to every trump supporter in america.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Aug 2018, 10:39

JasonL wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 10:31
I'll just say that I understand the instinct to deplatform, but the who gets to decide thing is the whole thing and it is too scary to entertain, plus I do think that it is at a basic level healthy to have those voices in the open and responses to them constantly in the mix.

It is very much my sense that the most strident advocates of de-platforming would not blink about doing so to every trump supporter in america.
They never imagine that it could happen to them. Though the near-similtaneous deplatforming off Alex Jones on virtually every social media site looks a lot like classic cartel behavior.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Aug 2018, 13:49

Meanwhile, Alex Jones is threatening to send Sandy Hook parents cease and desist letters is they don't quit talking about his conspiracy theories.
So I’m asking the families: In the memory of your children and the memory of the truth -- you say it’s super hurtful to hear these things, I agree. So I’m saying how do you continue to say that and say I said it if it’s so hurtful? I’m asking you to quit in my voice saying your children didn’t die. I’m asking in my voice and my name to quit saying I’m sending people to your house. I’m asking you through my name, like [late-night talk show host] Conan O’Brien with a cut-out of somebody saying things, to stop saying that I’m doing this because I’m not. I’ve apologized, I’ve done it all. So, at a certain point, do cease and desist letters have to go out? With a letter and videos and everything so it’s on record?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake » 14 Aug 2018, 14:56

I would like to sit down, privately, with Alex Jones, and have a Frank conversation with him about what is and is not appropriate for a television entertainer to say and do, and about the existence of ethical lines that one should never, ever cross.

"Frank", of course, is the name of my weedeater.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Aug 2018, 15:12

Jake wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 14:56
I would like to sit down, privately, with Alex Jones, and have a Frank conversation with him about what is and is not appropriate for a television entertainer to say and do, and about the existence of ethical lines that one should never, ever cross.

"Frank", of course, is the name of my weedeater.
The only ethic Jones has is, whatever is good for Jones. So, it's okay for him to spread lies about the parents of murdered children, but beyond the pale for said parents to mention those lies, and also beyond the pale for the likes of Facebook to decide "We no longer want to give you a free platform to spread your lies about these people."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Aug 2018, 15:23

Jake wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 14:56

"Frank", of course, is the name of my weedezater.
I thought "Frank" was your woodchipper.

Jake

Post by Jake » 14 Aug 2018, 15:41

Alex Jones, apparently, wrote:So I’m asking the families: In the memory of your children and the memory of the truth -- you say it’s super hurtful to hear these things, I agree. So I’m saying how do you continue to say that and say I said it if it’s so hurtful?
Those of us with a background in philosophy will, of course, recognize this as a somewhat muddled restatement of the highly respected "Why are you hitting yourself?" argument.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JD

Post by JD » 14 Aug 2018, 16:56

And what's up with the bizarre "in my voice" and "through my name" phrasings he uses? Is the guy actually fucking insane, or is this just another case of "how stupid people think smart people talk"?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Aug 2018, 17:04

JD wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 16:56
And what's up with the bizarre "in my voice" and "through my name" phrasings he uses? Is the guy actually fucking insane, or is this just another case of "how stupid people think smart people talk"?
The latter. The number of times I've had to hear "on my own behalf" in my line of work...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2018, 20:37

Andrew wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 17:04
JD wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 16:56
The latter. The number of times I've had to hear "on my own behalf" in my line of work...
That's how you know they're guilty :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Aug 2018, 20:48

JasonL wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 10:31

The fucked-up bit is that they aren't the SJWs so much as just the maddened and indignant Blues.

If the sports bar was war before, it's gone nuclear, now.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Aug 2018, 10:42

i hope he gets ebola on his dick.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Aug 2018, 14:16

JasonL wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 17:22
Ok if they kept the same system but called it Story Feed, is everyone happy?
No. Fuck Millennials and their 'stories'. You have a 'bio' like everyone else. You're not a goddamned princess. Harmph. </lawn>
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR