Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Aresen

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 02 Jul 2018, 15:03

Painboy wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 13:02
JD wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:44
I'll be really interested to hear how the "Scandinavia is perfect" segment of the American left spins this:
COPENHAGEN — When Rokhaia Naassan gives birth in the coming days, she and her baby boy will enter a new category in the eyes of Danish law. Because she lives in a low-income immigrant neighborhood described by the government as a “ghetto,” Rokhaia will be what the Danish newspapers call a “ghetto parent” and he will be a “ghetto child.”

Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments. Other Danish citizens are free to choose whether to enroll children in preschool up to the age of six.
Some [proposals] are punitive: One measure under consideration would allow courts to double the punishment for certain crimes if they are committed in one of the 25 neighborhoods classified as ghettos, based on residents’ income, employment status, education levels, number of criminal convictions and “non-Western background.” Another would impose a four-year prison sentence on immigrant parents who force their children to make extended visits to their country of origin — described here as “re-education trips” —in that way damaging their “schooling, language and well-being.” Another would allow local authorities to increase their monitoring and surveillance of “ghetto” families.
The rationale from the Danes is pretty much what we've been warning of all along:
Critics would say “the state cannot force children away from their parents in the daytime, that’s disproportionate use of force,” said Rune Lykkeberg, the editor in chief of Dagbladet Information, a left-liberal daily newspaper. “But the Social Democrats say, ‘We give people money, and we want something for this money.’ This is a system of rights and obligations.”

Danes have a high level of trust in the state, including as a central shaper of children’s ideology and beliefs, he said. “The Anglo-Saxon conception is that man is free in nature, and then comes the state” constraining that freedom, he said. “Our conception of freedom is the opposite, that man is only free in society.”
Because nothing creates feelings of patriotism and inclusion for one's adopted country like involuntary indoctrination classes for one's kids.
It worked before.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Jul 2018, 15:12

So poor immigrant criminals get twice the penalties as rich native ones? That's evil. (In all seriousness: if you wanted to ignore the ideal "The law treats everyone the same" and instead have the law treat people differently in the ironic hope of achieving some elusive "fairness" goal, it would make more sense to do it the opposite way: give a break to the poor kid who presumably didn't know any better, and come down hard on the rich kid who should.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jul 2018, 16:11

Painboy wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 13:02
Because nothing creates feelings of patriotism and inclusion for one's adopted country like involuntary indoctrination classes for one's kids.
This round goes to Painboy
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jul 2018, 16:11

Every morning at our house. The scene: A human wakes up and gets out of bed.

Max: AAAAaaaAAAaaa! I'M LITERALLY STARVING! FEED ME!
Human: OK, OK...
Max: AAAAAAAAAAA!
Fury: Oh, are we yelling? I'll yell too. SQUEAK!
Max: AAAAaaaaaaaa!
Fury: Eek!
Human: SHUT UP! FOOD IS COMING!
Max: AAAAAAaaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAA!
Fury: Eep!
Human puts food in front of cats. Silence immediately falls. Cats eat two bites then walk away.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2018, 17:13

JD wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 16:11
Every morning at our house. The scene: A human wakes up and gets out of bed.

Max: AAAAaaaAAAaaa! I'M LITERALLY STARVING! FEED ME!
Human: OK, OK...
Max: AAAAAAAAAAA!
Fury: Oh, are we yelling? I'll yell too. SQUEAK!
Max: AAAAaaaaaaaa!
Fury: Eek!
Human: SHUT UP! FOOD IS COMING!
Max: AAAAAAaaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAA!
Fury: Eep!
Human puts food in front of cats. Silence immediately falls. Cats eat two bites then walk away.
Cats are not pets. There is no such thing as a cat owner, only a cat's bitch.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Jul 2018, 13:24

Granite just hops onto the bed and carefully pokes my forehead with one claw and murps at me. The murping is cute. The needling is horrific enough that I'll get out of bed at 5am to stop it.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2018, 14:34

A certain Maine Coon does that to mrs lunch.

Me she just stands on my arm and grooms my beard. WTF cat.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 00:40

You know what you never see much of? Someone stepping up and pounding the table saying "I want this company to double the size of our snack cakes, just to show 'em we still got the best country in the world!"

I'm just saying that there's a niche to be filled in the Big Industrialist personality matrix, somewhere between Southern mega-sized car dealership commercials and that company where the CEO gave everyone his salary, a promise that they will never die, and a bj, and I hope it's snack cakes.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 10 Jul 2018, 03:56

BS. Snack size pecan pie is where Southern meets desert specialties. Also moon pies. Just sayin'.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Jul 2018, 04:10

Moon pies are more emergency rations. One of those out of the vending machine can sustain you through a midnight shift where the spin pack machine unbalances and explodes six times over. AMHIK

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 11:00

so what I'm hearing is "I hate a great value, and Stalin did nothing wrong".

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 10 Jul 2018, 12:59

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 04:10
Moon pies are more emergency rations. One of those out of the vending machine can sustain you through a midnight shift where the spin pack machine unbalances and explodes six times over. AMHIK
A) You are wrong. Moon pies when microwaved for 10 seconds are like Krispy Kreme doughnuts when the "hot now" sign is on*.
B) What's a spin pack machine?

*Best eaten once every 2-3 years so you forget the bad parts and only remember the lusciousness that is gooey marshmallow, crumbly graham cake (nee cracker) and runny "chocolaty" glaze. Why yes it has been over a decade since I had one, why do you ask?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Jul 2018, 13:33

Hmm. I feel that microwaving, frying, or freezing classic snack foods is adulteration. It is transformative in a way that makes them ingredients, rather than foods themselves. Fried Twinkies are not Twinkies. Frozen Snickers are not Snickers (but still neither is food). If you were to manage to get into the Moon Pie factory and eat them hot, that would be one thing, but microwaving them after the fact makes them something different.

Perhaps I am a Moon Pie purist.

Also I was more into vanilla moon pies than chocolate. This could be bad because they were almost the same shade as the truly foul banana-flavored Moon Pies, and sometimes in low light I would mistake one for the other, because a certain degenerate sibling caused them to be in my presence from time to time.

A spin pack machine is one that wraps something in plastic wrap of any kind that operates by spinning the object to be wrapped. In this case it was quarter-pallates of carpet fiber yarn on 8"-10" cardboard spools, arranged 3x2 and stacked four or five high (such that the stack was probably about four to five feet high). I had to deal with the ones that were seconds, where the yarn broke before the spool was full. So they're all irregular sizes. It was a really good night when at least one didn't unbalance and toss a couple dozen spools of yarn, up to 10lbs apiece, all through the internals of the machine.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Jul 2018, 14:05

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Jul 2018, 14:30

If I hook my laptop up to the enormovision TV, I don't need my reading glasses, even from across the room.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Jul 2018, 14:34

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Jul 2018, 14:40

Ellie wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:05
30 rock liz lemon doughnut in the microwave
I can't believe there are people who claim that show wasn't funny.

It could have been the weed, but I swear the most mind blowing desert I ever ate was microwaving an apple fritter and topping it with a glob of Caramel Cone ice cream.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jul 2018, 14:42

I associate moon pies with going camping or to a cabin somewhere. Like you have your cheap alcohol, some d&d stuff ready and you stop at the gas station and why not moon pie + Ale 8 One. You float around the lake, get out the d&d stuff and feel the excitement followed by immediate regret of the ale 8 and moon pie.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 10 Jul 2018, 14:48

Lunch:
Thanks for the explanation. Fair enough on the moon pie purity and I'd completely forgotten about banana ones.

Jason:
Ale 8 One is new to me, interesting.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Jul 2018, 17:44

To clarify, Moon Pies in the microwave are different than donuts. Donuts in the microwave are just getting them back to the Hot Now thing, which is legit the way donuts are meant to be eaten.

Also I want to make sure that the 2-3 years thing is only for the Moon Pie thing and not for Krispie Kreme Hot Now. Maybe it's because there was a 24-hour Krispie Kreme right next to campus and therefore many a late night sugar/caffeine run were made, but Krispie Kreme Hot Now is the prince of glazed donuts. If you want special donuts they aren't the place, but Dunkin and Winchel's can go fuck its glazed donuts.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Jul 2018, 19:19

Kwix wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:48
Jason:
Ale 8 One is new to me, interesting.
Same! It may not be any good, but the description in Wikipedia is up my alley.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Jul 2018, 19:22

I always found moon pies kind of disappointing. They always seemed like they should be more tasty than they were. Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies were more my jam.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jul 2018, 19:29

In Canada, Moon Pies are called Wagon Wheels.

They are disgusting. I agree with Kwix's assessment of how frequently they should be eaten.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jul 2018, 00:44

I've only ever liked Moon Pies when I've started to come down with a bug and develop a craving.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Jul 2018, 03:33

To clarify I meant the time frame is for both. That's because I have self control issues and have never eaten less than a half dozen fresh KK in a sitting. Better men may consume more frequently.