Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22655
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 18 Apr 2018, 21:02

Mo wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:21
David French has quite possibly the dumbest take on the Starbucks thing. Because IAT tests are bullshit (true), subconscious bias is fake (wat?). The dude has black daughters, I’m sure when they get older they’ll tell him about how they get followed around stores and treated suspiciously and suddenly become woke.
That's the best-case scenario; there's no guarantee he'd even listen to them. Presumably the girls' mother is black and has experienced racism; did she never mention this to her husband, or did he not pay attention?

For some people, nothing is real unless it happens to them personally. I don't know if David French is one of them.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1498
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kwix » 19 Apr 2018, 03:57

Mo wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:49
Painboy wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:44
Highway wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 19:14
It's even more energy efficient, as far as the washer goes, if you hand dry it. But the amount of energy for the bottles and the rinse agent is probably a lot cheaper than more energy spent on heating and wasting it. A bottle of rinse agent lasts a pretty long time.
Even taking into account the energy used for transportation, stocking, branding, bottle and fluid manufacture? Less than just cranking the heat up in the washer 15 minutes more? Yes the rinse aid can be used a number of times versus the heat used each time but that still doesn't seem like a good trade.
On a per bottle basis? Definitely. You can fit a lot of bottles on an 18-wheeler. You get a lot of washes out of a single bottle and electric heat ain't exactly super efficient.
What about nuclear?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6614
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Apr 2018, 09:50

Kwix wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 03:57
Mo wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:49
Painboy wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:44
Highway wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 19:14
It's even more energy efficient, as far as the washer goes, if you hand dry it. But the amount of energy for the bottles and the rinse agent is probably a lot cheaper than more energy spent on heating and wasting it. A bottle of rinse agent lasts a pretty long time.
Even taking into account the energy used for transportation, stocking, branding, bottle and fluid manufacture? Less than just cranking the heat up in the washer 15 minutes more? Yes the rinse aid can be used a number of times versus the heat used each time but that still doesn't seem like a good trade.
On a per bottle basis? Definitely. You can fit a lot of bottles on an 18-wheeler. You get a lot of washes out of a single bottle and electric heat ain't exactly super efficient.
What about nuclear?
This is among the most interesting of thread drift I've seen here lately.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13438
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kolohe » 19 Apr 2018, 10:22

Nuclear Dishwashers is a good band name.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11427
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Ellie » 19 Apr 2018, 11:10

It really is! Or maybe Nuclear Dishwasher, singular.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14514
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 19 Apr 2018, 11:29

Atomic Dishwasher would be better.

But that might infringe Jake's copyright.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2591
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jake » 19 Apr 2018, 11:52

Aresen wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:29
Atomic Dishwasher would be better.

But that might infringe Jake's copyright.
I'll allow it for a very reasonable percentage of the gross.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2857
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jasper » 19 Apr 2018, 14:47

I just get my Mr. Handy to wash, dry, and put away the dishes.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6614
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Apr 2018, 14:57

Nukulear Dishwasher.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Mo » 19 Apr 2018, 15:35

I think I heard P-Funk perform Atomic Dishwasher in Amsterdam last year.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8980
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by nicole » 19 Apr 2018, 16:29

I get really annoyed by guys who are super upset that "women only like tall men."
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22655
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 19 Apr 2018, 16:30

nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 16:29
I get really annoyed by guys who are super upset that "women only like tall men."
Just tell them "Dude, you're not alone because you're short; you're alone because you're an asshole."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by JasonL » 19 Apr 2018, 17:37

nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 16:29
I get really annoyed by guys who are super upset that "women only like tall men."
Short guy here - I only get annoyed when people complain about male to female lookism all the time but have no problem with this standard. Only minorly annoyed though.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22655
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 19 Apr 2018, 17:58

JasonL wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 17:37
nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 16:29
I get really annoyed by guys who are super upset that "women only like tall men."
Short guy here - I only get annoyed when people complain about male to female lookism all the time but have no problem with this standard. Only minorly annoyed though.
IIRC, you are not only married, but married to a gainfully employed American citizen (as opposed to someone in need of a meal ticket or green card)? And I'm pretty sure your spouse is a woman, too. I don't think you'd've been able to pull this off if it were true that "women only like tall men."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by JasonL » 19 Apr 2018, 18:16

Oh it’s a percentages thing that applies variously at various stages of life, not a universal. It’s a thing though. I forget the study exactly but something like “choose these dudes from a lineup” giving them various stories. Comedian, business dude, athlete, etc. estimated income. They changed variables in various ways. One finding is almost no cool job or amount of money could save you from the trash heap if you were 5’5” or under. Like they had the plague.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22655
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 19 Apr 2018, 18:24

I guess Peter Dinklage's wife (who is 5'6", according to Wikipedia) did not get that memo. She married her husband years before Game of Thrones made him famous.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11427
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Ellie » 19 Apr 2018, 18:29

Yeah, but Peter Dinklage is an outlier. Dude is amazing.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by JasonL » 19 Apr 2018, 18:32

Right. Point is not impossible but remarkably difficult compared to what you’d think if height preferences attenuated slowly.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8980
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by nicole » 19 Apr 2018, 18:34

It’s definitely a thing. And at first I feel bad for people. But then I realize they’re angry in an uncool way and I’m like...oh, another one of these. Why are there so many?

I blame online dating or something. They seem to have a lot of complaints about women’s profiles having height requirements but I don’t know if I even believe that. The only woman I know who use/d it certainly didn’t have one.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12937
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Highway » 19 Apr 2018, 18:40

nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:34
It’s definitely a thing. And at first I feel bad for people. But then I realize they’re angry in an uncool way and I’m like...oh, another one of these. Why are there so many?

I blame online dating or something. They seem to have a lot of complaints about women’s profiles having height requirements but I don’t know if I even believe that. The only woman I know who use/d it certainly didn’t have one.
Well, statements like that are pure confirmation bias. They find one in 10 that has a "prefers 5'10" or taller" and then "ALL THESE bitches have height requirements! The world is stacked against me, just like I KNEW it was!"

And they probably tried to hit on girls who were just trying to get rid of them, and did the "Well, what could I do to make you like me more?!?!?!" and got the answer "Sorry, I like guys that are taller" to get these creeps to leave them alone, since they can't actually try being taller.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Apr 2018, 19:09

The nice thing about being tall is that I know where I stand. I know it's because I'm an asshole.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Apr 2018, 19:16

Highway wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:40
nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:34
It’s definitely a thing. And at first I feel bad for people. But then I realize they’re angry in an uncool way and I’m like...oh, another one of these. Why are there so many?

I blame online dating or something. They seem to have a lot of complaints about women’s profiles having height requirements but I don’t know if I even believe that. The only woman I know who use/d it certainly didn’t have one.
Well, statements like that are pure confirmation bias. They find one in 10 that has a "prefers 5'10" or taller" and then "ALL THESE bitches have height requirements! The world is stacked against me, just like I KNEW it was!"

And they probably tried to hit on girls who were just trying to get rid of them, and did the "Well, what could I do to make you like me more?!?!?!" and got the answer "Sorry, I like guys that are taller" to get these creeps to leave them alone, since they can't actually try being taller.
I have heard women tell other women that they think it'd be weird to date a guy shorter than them. Often it's tall girls who're like "I can't find a man because I don't want to date a man shorter than me and all the good tall guys are taken!"

I realize that some of that is that there are apparently some guys who don't want to date a woman taller than they are, and so it's a defense mechanism, but it's definitely a thing.

But yeah, most people who are upset that the world is stacked against them are really invested in the world being stacked against them. If they were tall, they'd complain that bitches only want guys with money. If they had money they'd find some other superficial thing to blame it on. There are analog excuses for women but I don't know them as well.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24424
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Warren » 19 Apr 2018, 19:58

JasonL wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:16
One finding is almost no cool job or amount of money could save you from the trash heap if you were 5’5” or under. Like they had the plague.
Yep. I've read several studies that all confirmed that.
But height is about the only physical characteristic. That can make a man undateable. Women are mostly concerned with money/power/prestige.

Women OTOH are mercilessly judged on their appearance. More harshly by other women than by men I might add. Fat chicks get it the worst. The way society condones degrading and humiliating fat people, puts them on the top of the victim pyramid in my book. I don't what to hear about discrimination against noncis-nonhetero-nonwhites until we start treating fat people like human fucking beings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6756
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jadagul » 19 Apr 2018, 20:11

It's definitely a thing that a lot of women like taller men. And when I'm online dating there's some fraction of women who say things like "5'10" and up" or "6' and up" or whatever. (I'm personally 5'9" which is dead average).

But I can't really complain. First, because people can refuse to date people for whatever damn reason they like. And second, because I have a definite preference for much shorter women, so I really can't complain.

So yeah. I sympathize with the frustration. But I also sympathize a lot with Nicole's annoyance at dudes who take this super personally.

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Apr 2018, 21:03

Warren wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 19:58
JasonL wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:16
One finding is almost no cool job or amount of money could save you from the trash heap if you were 5’5” or under. Like they had the plague.
Yep. I've read several studies that all confirmed that.
But height is about the only physical characteristic. That can make a man undateable. Women are mostly concerned with money/power/prestige.

Women OTOH are mercilessly judged on their appearance. More harshly by other women than by men I might add. Fat chicks get it the worst. The way society condones degrading and humiliating fat people, puts them on the top of the victim pyramid in my book. I don't what to hear about discrimination against noncis-nonhetero-nonwhites until we start treating fat people like human fucking beings.
Well, I think we can pat our heads and rub our tummies at the same time. But totally agree. I always wished I could find it online somewhere but I recall seeing a tv segment where they did an experiment. Woman standing on a corner, holding a pile of books and a bag of groceries or something. She drops them. Chunky lady drops it, NO ONE HELPS. Thin statuesque woman does the same thing, guys are falling over themselves to help. Not that I hadn't noticed this myself over the years, but seeing it contrasted this starkly caused my view of mankind to drop immensely. (of course, now that we're all a little more media savvy I wonder about the quality of the "experiment", knowing that because it jibes with my experience it must be true).

Caught Drop the Mic a few nights ago. Struck me that now that everyone has to keet it classy regarding race and such the teasing insults have moved to height and weight.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest