Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Jennifer

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer »

This is bizarre, but I am seriously wondering if there is something weird about my eyelashes compared to everyone else -- like, most people's lashes poke out from their lids at an angle of X degrees, but mine are sub-X. I say this because I just extracted two errant lashes from an eyeball, a very commonplace occurrence because I literally cannot remember EVER in my adult life going a full day without having to remove a lash at least once (except for occasions like "I've been super-sick in bed for several days -- and also have not done ANY washing or grooming during that time, nothing but sleep or visit the bathroom." But even then, sometimes my misery is compounded by a lash in the eye.). As a teen and young adult I thought maybe it had something to do with my use of eyeliner, mascara and the like, but I haven't worn eye makeup regularly in YEARS (IIRC the last time it was an everyday thing for me was in my early days at the New Britain daily paper, before I stopped giving a shit about that job), and I still have lashes in my eye every day. (This is also a major reason I have never so much as CONSIDERED switching from glasses to contact lenses -- I have read that getting a lash under a contact is vastly more painful than standard lash-in-eye, and I don't need THAT problem.) Sometimes I get a lash completely in my eye, other times the lash is still "connected" to the lid (or, more precisely, loose from the lid but, like, "caught" in the other lashes) but goes straight down and pokes into my eye.

Serious question for the rest of y'all: approximately how often do YOU have to remove a lash from your eye -- daily? Weekly? Monthly? I will sometimes see Jeff with a loose lash on his cheek under his eye, but I can't recall the last time he had one in the eye itself.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Wife has lashes in eyeball at least once a day. She also complains that nobody else seems similarly cursed. Less than once a month for me. Find them on lenses sometimes.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

JasonL wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 22:10
Wife has lashes in eyeball at least once a day. She also complains that nobody else seems similarly cursed. Less than once a month for me. Find them on lenses sometimes.
Huh, so that's two people -- me and her.

When you say "on lenses," do you mean "between lens and eyelid" as opposed to eyeball? How annoying is that sensation? I've never noticed it, of course, because I only experience it simultaneous with the far worse sensation of something touching the eyeball itself. (Though thankfully, with me it usually is on the white, which is far less bad than getting it on the iris or pupil.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole »

I get eyelashes in my eye pretty much daily as well. Super annoying. It’s been remarked that my eyelashes are very “straight.”

I also get them stuck on the inside of my glasses lenses pretty regularly and they verge on touching the lenses if I really push my glasses way up my nose.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

When I wore contact lenses, occasionally I would get one between the contact lens and the cornea.

My god, that was painful.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Jennifer wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 22:44
JasonL wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 22:10
Huh, so that's two people -- me and her.

When you say "on lenses," do you mean "between lens and eyelid" as opposed to eyeball? How annoying is that sensation? I've never noticed it, of course, because I only experience it simultaneous with the far worse sensation of something touching the eyeball itself. (Though thankfully, with me it usually is on the white, which is far less bad than getting it on the iris or pupil.)
Sorry I mean on my glasses.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I think I've maybe found two eyelashes on my glasses lenses in the past five years, and never in my eyeball/eyes. Who knows where they are going? I never thought of that until this discussion.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ellie wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 09:59
I think I've maybe found two eyelashes on my glasses lenses in the past five years, and never in my eyeball/eyes. Who knows where they are going?
For people with normal eyelashes (which presumably excludes me, Nicole and Jason's wife), when a lash finishes growing to its genetically pre-determined length, it goes dormant for awhile (like every other strand of hair on the body), then falls out to make room for a new strand from the same follicle. And normally -- presumably due to either the angle the follicle is set in the eyelid, or the shape of the follicle itself -- when a lash falls it'll either land on your cheek, or fall off your face altogether. It's not that uncommon for me to see Jeff with a lash on his cheek -- this most recently happened at a restaurant just a couple weeks ago.

That's how it is SUPPOSED to work for everybody -- having your own lash fall IN your eye is SUPPOSED to be a rare once-in-awhile thing, usually because something went wrong -- like, at the moment your lash came loose you just happened to be holding your head at some weird angle. But I get lashes in my eye so frequently, I seriously think there is some inherent reason why they fall down at just the right angle to land in my eyeball far more frequently than most people.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I don't think I've found more than two on my cheeks in the past five years, either. Where are they disappearing to? *plays X-files music*
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

JD

Post by JD »

I'm on the Ellie end of the spectrum: I don't think I've had a lash in my eye for years.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Depending on your housekeeping standards, Ellie, there's probably a lot of them in either your carpeting, or in the vacuum-cleaner bags you've been emptying over the years.

Which brings me to another shedding-related observation: a typical non-balding human with a full head of hair sheds approximately 100 strands of scalp hair a day. (This number is the same regardless of whether, or how often, you cut your hair.) And each strand of my hair is over 2.5 feet long. So, unlike eyebrows, eyelashes, and whatever other short hairs I might leave wherever I go, there is NO mystery where my strands of scalp hair end up. Every time I sweep the floor, there's hair. When I sweep in out-of-the-way places, like behind furniture, the dust bunnies are supported by latticeworks of tangled hair. And it's not uncommon for me to, like, notice a strand of hair on the seat when I'm in the car, then toss it through the open window (I do not worry about anti-littering statutes in regard to such matters).

nicole

Post by nicole »

It never even occurred to me that other people didn't get eyelashes in their eyes every day.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I find a lash on the inside of my glasses a few times a month. One in my eye maybe once/month.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I get them in my eye at least once a week, it seems.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Can't remember ever getting a lash in my eye. Or finding one on my cheek/lens.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

THREE eyelashes today: felt an irritation in my eye while working on the computer, reached up and took away two lashes on my fingertip; then, when brushing my teeth just before Jeff and I went out, I happened to glance in the mirror, thought I saw something on the lower rim and there was a third (super-tiny) lash, no longer attached but kind of caught between the other lower lashes and just poking into the eyeball area.

Though at least there were no lashes yesterday, meaning I DID, finally, go a full day without getting a lash in my eye. But I more than made up for it today; on average, I still can't go a full day without one.

Jake

Post by Jake »

I don't get the eyelash in the eye thing hardly at all -- maybe three times per decade? But I'm also really tall, so much of my life is spent looking more or less downward, because that's where pretty much everything that isn't me is. So I'd assume that lost eyelashes fall harmlessly to the floor (or my beard, or my shirt, or whatever). Perhaps there's a "what's your normal head angle" factor to this?
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

nicole

Post by nicole »

Now, every time I get an eyelash in my eye, I think, "How the f does this not happen to everyone all the time?"