Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Masked Grylliader

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Masked Grylliader »

If we label the grid
1 2 3
4 5 6

then 1 is a facial massager, 2 is a facial roller, 3 is a body rolling massager, and 5 is a "face trainer beauty roller."

The amount to which any of these are euphemisms for something else can be left to the reader to decide.

-Ellie
Remember, remember

Mo

Post by Mo »

6 looks like an IUD
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 10:15
6 looks like an IUD
Psst... 3! I hope!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

Yes
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

There is such a thing as ruby chocolate. I'll have to see if I can come across an affordable way to try some.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Elizabeth Warren’s wealth tax is actually a good thing.

https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainme ... 48809.html

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

That incident was itself a wealth tax, no government coercion necessary.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I wonder if the unheated, unergonomic faucets in the train station men’s room are accidental bad design or deliberate bad design to prevent hobros from establishing a base camp.

The volume of clear design carelessness in this place makes either option a possibility.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 18:56
I wonder if the unheated, unergonomic faucets in the train station men’s room are accidental bad design or deliberate bad design to prevent hobros from establishing a base camp.

The volume of clear design carelessness in this place makes either option a possibility.
Is a hobro a hobo with a dobro or a frat brother selling sex in the men's room?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

No, just a homeless bro.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

There are probably not just papers, but bound volumes to be written about how comic artists draw themselves in autobiographical pieces. Probably women in particular, given the various pressures there that seem absent for male artists.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

https://president.tufts.edu/news/2019/1 ... ouncement/

Tufts will be giving back every cent they ever received from the Sacklers, right?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD »

Well, get ready for lukewarm coffee:
It might be harder to get hot coffee at 30,000 feet after the European Union’s top court said that airlines can be held responsible for injuries caused by spilled drinks, even if it isn’t clear how the cup got knocked over.

“An airline is liable for the harm caused by a spilled cup of hot coffee,” the EU Court of Justice in Luxembourg ruled Thursday. “It is not necessary for that accident to relate to a hazard typically associated with flight.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -eu-ruling

Honestly, if this is the standard now, the principle seems to be that airlines are responsible for providing an absolutely safe environment with no possibility of injury from any source for any reason.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 13:39
Well, get ready for lukewarm coffee:
It might be harder to get hot coffee at 30,000 feet after the European Union’s top court said that airlines can be held responsible for injuries caused by spilled drinks, even if it isn’t clear how the cup got knocked over.

“An airline is liable for the harm caused by a spilled cup of hot coffee,” the EU Court of Justice in Luxembourg ruled Thursday. “It is not necessary for that accident to relate to a hazard typically associated with flight.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -eu-ruling

Honestly, if this is the standard now, the principle seems to be that airlines are responsible for providing an absolutely safe environment with no possibility of injury from any source for any reason.
Who was that nutter who hung around UO, going on about how strict liability and the discovery process would revolutionize society?

JD

Post by JD »

There's a wikipedia page on responses to sneezing in various languages, because of course there is. Most of them are some variation on God blessing you or a wish for your health, but in some languages you say, "That one said it" or "Rice with salt" or "Go away, kitten."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

JD wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 13:45
There's a wikipedia page on responses to sneezing in various languages, because of course there is. Most of them are some variation on God blessing you or a wish for your health, but in some languages you say, "That one said it" or "Rice with salt" or "Go away, kitten."
Huh, none of them means "thanks for the flu, asshole"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 14:05
JD wrote:
If it was flu they'd be coughing.

Penn Jillette say's "That's funny".
Doesn't work for me. Allergies are too serious to be funny.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Baby Supply has noticed her father saying "Gesundheit" when she sneezes, but has interpreted this as an unbreakable social obligation, so now when she sneezes and I don't respond she starts hollering at me, "Mama! You have to say the sneeze word!!!"
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

If Dojito sneezes and no one says anything, he says, “Bless you, me,” to prompt a “Bless you.”

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

That's freaking adorable.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 15:18
dead_elvis wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 14:05
JD wrote:
If it was flu they'd be coughing.
Initially, the flu may seem like a common cold with a runny nose, sneezing and sore throat.

It doesn't drag on for weeks the way the cough does but I usually go through a phase where I get a stuffy head that results in sneezing.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Though I try to be thrifty and not-waste food, of course there have been countless times I've thrown away a partial loaf of bagged bread because it had started to go moldy. (I suspect some earlier-generation version of me, living 50 or more years ago, would never have had this problem; SHE would've eaten all of her bread long before it had a chance to go bad. But I have a far more varied diet, and will sometimes neglect to eat from my bread loaf because I instead get my daily bread in the form of a white-flour tortilla, or naan bread, or a pita, or some other flour-based product other than "sandwich bread.")

Anyway, when I ate various brands of white or Italian white bread, and mold started to appear, that mold was always some shade of green, regardless of whether the bread was in Connecticut, Virginia or Georgia, and regardless of the time of year or relative humidity levels or other variables.

But in the past few months I switched to a store-brand sourdough loaf for sandwich bread, and yesterday, for the second time, I threw some of that bread away after discovering it had gone moldy. But with the sourdough bread, both times, that mold was white rather than green.

I wish I still had a microscope so I could inspect the differences between the molds.

I also wonder, regarding the pre-antibiotic old folk remedy "Certain fevers and infections can be treated if you eat moldy bread" -- do ALL forms of moldy bread work for this? Or was it something like "the green mold on yeast bread helps some sick people, but the white mold on sourdough does bupkis"?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I find it amusingly ironic that the Dolby Theater in L.A. has a hiss problem (the HVAC system was unusually loud, at least on the stage).

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Overheard waiting in the E.R. lobby today. Couple older gents and they get to gabbing about Vietnam and the war. After covering some of the usual points it wrapped up with "you know the *worst* part? How the veterans were treated when they came back".

I have a notion that in 200 years there is going to be an educational fairy tale about how whenever someone says "and you know the *worst* part?", the Norm Macdonald genie magically appears. Not to give you 3 wishes, but just to stop you before you say what you were going to say next, which was undoubtedly going to be wrong and probably cringey.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I remember watching an old historical documentary -- I want to say "Connections" -- which mentioned that a few centuries ago, when someone somewhere in Europe first figured out a relatively inexpensive way to print/paint colored pictures onto cheap metal surfaces (like for decorative tins) this was a HUGELY popular innovation, especially since those were the days when decorative or colorful items in general were far less common than they are now (and when pretty much ANYTHING you could possibly own -- including "a small container which simultaneously holds various small items and is pretty or interesting to look at, at least compared to the rough unfinished brick or wood walls of your home" -- was more expensive and valuable than it is today).

And I notice that, compared to Europe and Asia, America is FAR less likely to sell everyday items in tins (rather than cans, bags or boxes). Off the top of my head: if you buy Altoids mints or Sucrets lozenges, those are sold in printed-metal hinged-top tins, rather than something like a plastic or cardboard box. Some aspirins might still be sold in tiny travel-size tins, too. Those Danish "butter cookies" are sold in big round tins. A couple spices, like Colman's mustard, are sometimes sold in tins, but I think those are imports anyway. (There are still some brands of coffee sold in cans rather than cardboard, which can indeed be re-used to store things -- but those are not the same as tins, because those coffee cans have plastic lids, rather than a hinged top or fitted lid made of the same metal as the can.) And during the December holiday month, a lot of edibles-producers, especially dessert and candy manufacturers, sell special "gift versions" of their wares in decorative tins. I have a few of those which I either received from Secret Santas and such, or bought myself at a discount after Christmas: the tin container is fancy and elaborate, but it originally contained just the standard package of Oreos, or Whitman's chocolate candies, or a few rolls of Life Savers, etc.

For those items, it's understood that the tin is what makes it a "gift": it would be considered tacky/thoughtless to simply gift someone, even an office Secret Santa recipient, something like "a standard grocery-store package of Oreos" or "six rolls of Life Savers, two each in wild cherry, five-flavor and butter rum" or "a bag of Hershey's miniature bars" ... but getting those in a decorated, reusable tin container makes it "gift-worthy."

That said: while you could, as an American, make an acceptable Secret Santa gift out of mass-market supermarket cookies or candy, IF it's in a special decorative tin, you generally can NOT do this with something like Altoid mints which are sold in tins year-round. (And tins of Danish butter cookies straddle the "giftworthy / too mundane to be giftworthy" line, IMO.)

But other than that, American consumables generally aren't sold in reusable-tin packaging nearly as often as overseas. There are a LOT of immigrant-import food stores in the Atlanta area, and there's a couple which are pretty clearly "upscale" -- the immigrant's equivalent of Whole Foods -- but most are just "standard," for immigrants wanting to buy items from their home-country equivalents of Kroger or Target (or, want to buy the immigrant's equivalent of Kraft-brand mac and cheese, Skippy-brand peanut butter, Lipton's tea and Thomas's English muffins, instead of these weird-tasting foreign brands). And in the immigrant shops -- both European and Asian -- there are far more everyday items sold in reusable tins, especially candies, petits fours/fancy mini-cookies or cakes, loose teas, spices and a couple other things I can't recall. In America, such items are far more likely to be sold in plastic, cardboard or at most a can with a plastic lid.

I am mildly curious as to why this is. I am also wondering how the "Secret Santa giftworthy rules" apply in those countries. Like, here in America: if I have to give someone a Secret Santa gift, and all I know about that person is "They like tea" I am NOT going to give a cardboard box of tea from my local supermarket -- not even the most expensive brand, let alone a box of Lipton's bags. But I might very well go to one of the immigrant stores and buy an attractive tin full of loose tea or tea bags, or even one of those multi-packs with several small tins each of a different flavor. And this counts as gift-worthy because even if they don't like the teas all that much, they still have the lovely and potentially useful tins.

But if I were doing a secret Santa-equivalent gift exchange in the Asian or European country where those tea tins were imported from ... would those teas still be "gift-worthy," at least equivalent to "bog-standard Oreos or Life Savers rolls ... but in a fancy tin box"? Or is it more like giving someone a tin of Altoids -- even for someone who "likes mints," in America a tin of Altoids is too commonplace and mundane to be "giftworthy"?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b