Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

dhex
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by dhex » 22 Nov 2019, 12:05

Hardwood is very expensive even the engineered stuff.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Nov 2019, 13:35

Further research indicates that while there are some wood planks that are cheaper per square foot than peel n stick vinyl, y'all are correct that most of them cost more. So rather than being cheap and ugly, hardwood flooring is actually expensive and ugly while still being extremely basic, like a purebred dog or a Rolex.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 22 Nov 2019, 13:45

So...are you actually proposing peel'n'stick vinyl as a preferable choice overall? I mean, chacun son goût, but you do realize you're very much in the minority on this one, right?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Nov 2019, 13:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 13:35
So rather than being cheap and ugly, hardwood flooring is actually expensive and ugly while still being extremely basic
I just don't know what to say to that, Jadahugh.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 22 Nov 2019, 14:04

You can have my hardwood floors when you pry it from my cold, dead toes.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Nov 2019, 14:45

Hugh is fcking with us.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 22 Nov 2019, 15:23

Hardwood is great. You can dance on it properly.

Also, I had not previously heard that Rolexes were basic.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Nov 2019, 16:32

JasonL wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 14:45
Hugh is fcking with us.
I don’t approve of jadahugh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Nov 2019, 18:02

Just got back from grocery shopping (much larger haul than usual, because we also laid in most of our Thanksgiving stuff), and in the produce section of the international market, there was a Jamaican lady and a Hungarian lady exchanging eggplant recipes.

THAT is what America is supposed to be, none of this bigoted Trumpster bullshit.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Nov 2019, 19:14

Burn it all to the ground, Jadahugh!

I mean I don't really have super big opinions on hardwood vs alternatives, although my current home's shitty tile that becomes psychotically slippery when wet and is uneven and cracked and has huge grout seams that collect trash have learned me that fuck tile from a practical point of view. I'm sure that there are tiles available with far better grip dynamics, but these suck.

I'm thinking bamboo or other engineered wood floors or goddamned lino/vinyl for kitchens/bathrooms, but whatevs.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Nov 2019, 22:03

Real hardwood floors are near essential in your typical East Coast center-hall Colonial. They look great with rugs (note: not "carpeting") and are both warm and durable. Yeah, every once in a long while they need to be sanded and restained, but they'll eventually outlive the rest of the structure with minimal care. There are other architectural styles in which perhaps it's not a big deal, but they're a big selling point in most of the markets and with most of the people I know.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Nov 2019, 02:00

If I had my way I would have hardwood floors even upstairs in the bedrooms.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Nov 2019, 06:49

I have blonde oak throughout the main floor including the master. Took a while to get used to it in the bedroom. Wife is still not sure. You become slippers guy if you weren’t before.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Nov 2019, 06:59

An acquaintance of mine here in the city bought a detached house last year that was new construction (which I thought was pretty weird to begin with) and when I went to see it I thought it was soooo weird that it had carpeting upstairs and hardwood on the main floor. Like some kind of suburban hybrid. But I guess that’s just what the suburbs are like now (I grew up with wall to well carpeting not everywhere but bathrooms, kitchen, and basement).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Nov 2019, 17:20

I've been watching old Flintstones episodes (there's a big backlog of them on my DVR, since one of the cable companies airs multiple episodes per week), and one not-uncommon occurrence, which I've seen on countless other sitcoms and similar things from that era (though I can't recall any specifics) is: either Betty or Wilma will suddenly realize that whatever they've got cooking in their oven is burning or about to burn [cue mad dash to the kitchen]. Not that TV comedies or dramas (let alone the prehistoric Honeymooners) were ever intended as documentary slices of life, but I doubt the joke would be that common if there weren't some reality behind it.

And I realize: neither Jeff nor I have ever had that particular problem when making a recipe we'd made many times before -- not because we're time savants or genius cooks, but because we've always had plenty of timed noisemakers (sometimes built directly in to the oven) to remind us when a given recipe's recommended cooking or baking time had elapsed.

Were noisy kitchen timers actually, like, not a commonplace thing in the early 60s and before? Or was there something about ovens back then heating things more unevenly than nowadays, thus making burned/overcooked food more likely?

Or was this simply another pure-TV trope on par with "housewives back then often wore stockings, high heels and pearls while doing the housework?"

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Nov 2019, 17:56

I remember our oven had a timer that was purely mechanical. I think it could be set to control on/off, but I'm not sure. This was late 1950s - early 1960s.

The only time I remember food getting burned was on the barbeque - and that was dad's doing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Nov 2019, 18:36

As I recall, my mother had a mechanical timer she would use when baking. Otherwise, she'd just note the time and keep an eye on the clock in the kitchen. I can recall television ads for ovens with built-in clocks / timers as a child, so obviously they were, um, selling point prior to being standard features.

Ovens are still notoriously undependable as far as I'm concerned, especially as they get older. Ours runs cool by 10-20 degrees according to our oven thermometer. *shrug*

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Nov 2019, 19:36

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 19:14
I'm thinking bamboo or other engineered wood floors or goddamned lino/vinyl for kitchens/bathrooms, but whatevs.
We have bamboo everywhere except the bathrooms and the kitchen, and it's working pretty well. Definitely chilly to walk on until you get used to it, and failure to sweep a couple times a week will leave your feet feeling gritty when you walk on it, but if you've got tile, you're probably used to that.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Nov 2019, 23:21

JasonL wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 06:49
I have blonde oak throughout the main floor including the master. Took a while to get used to it in the bedroom. Wife is still not sure. You become slippers guy if you weren’t before.
My childhood home was hardwood throughout except the den, kitchen, laundry, and bathrooms. We had large non-fixed carpets in rooms where we wanted carpet. The den had awesome shag carpeting. Vinyl in kitchen/laundry and tiled floors in the bathrooms. Seemed to work out okay.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Nov 2019, 01:13

JD wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 13:45
So...are you actually proposing peel'n'stick vinyl as a preferable choice overall? I mean, chacun son goût, but you do realize you're very much in the minority on this one, right?
The reason I chose peel n stick vinyl as a comparison it and hardwood are equally tasteful.

But I'm not really in the minority on this. Nobody like hardwood floors. They just do them because they are a tradition, like religion or marriage or slavery. Hardwood floors are the idontgiveashit.gif of flooring options. If people really liked the look, feel, and sound of hardwood, they wouldn't spend the money to install it only to spend more money on area rugs to put over it.

And if you really need a reason to hate hardwood floors:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 22:03
Real hardwood floors are near essential in your typical East Coast center-hall Colonial.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Nov 2019, 02:04

Hugh Akston wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 01:13
JD wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 13:45
The reason I chose peel n stick vinyl as a comparison it and hardwood are equally tasteful.

But I'm not really in the minority on this. Nobody like hardwood floors. They just do them because they are a tradition, like religion or marriage or slavery. Hardwood floors are the idontgiveashit.gif of flooring options. If people really liked the look, feel, and sound of hardwood, they wouldn't spend the money to install it only to spend more money on area rugs to put over it.

And if you really need a reason to hate hardwood floors:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 22:03
Real hardwood floors are near essential in your typical East Coast center-hall Colonial.
So what's the thing that we all like deep in our hearts-of-hearts while we go all false-consciousness with hardwoods? I mostly hate the kind of large-format tile that you can use in a main room. Some of the newest tiles aren't as awful in terms of feel or traction, but I don't know how long that wears. Vinyl/Linoleum are okay I guess for rooms where you're likely to spill things. Wall to wall carpeting is okay if you don't have allergies or pets or tend to spill food or beverages. But if you do... ew. I kind of hate wall-to-wall carpeting, but it was better when I didn't have pets. Sealed concrete is fine for certain applications but your second floor bedroom isn't one of them.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Nov 2019, 09:51

Hugh Akston wrote:

This is jadagul level retarded Hugh.

Hardwood looks way better than vinyl. Peel n stick vinyl looks like ass. Most people are in sincere general agreement on this. Vinyl can be made to look like anything, so why are the only patterns they make trying to look like hardwood or stone?
You only have hardwood if you're willing to shell out the cash for hardwood. You put area rugs (not wall to wall) on it for the sake of walking on something softer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Nov 2019, 12:11

Warren wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 09:51
Hugh Akston wrote:

Hardwood looks way better than vinyl. Peel n stick vinyl looks like ass. Most people are in sincere general agreement on this. Vinyl can be made to look like anything, so why are the only patterns they make trying to look like hardwood or stone?
You only have hardwood if you're willing to shell out the cash for hardwood. You put area rugs (not wall to wall) on it for the sake of walking on something softer.
And showing off your even more costly oriental rugs hand-knotted by children. It's like expensive designer sneakers, but for people with good taste.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Nov 2019, 12:17

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 12:11
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

And showing off your even more costly oriental rugs hand-knotted by children. It's like expensive designer sneakers, but for people with good taste.
For certain values of 'good'.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Nov 2019, 12:33

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 12:17
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 12:11
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

For certain values of 'good'.
The good values
THIS SPACE FOR RENT