Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Jennifer

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 15:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
22 May 2018, 21:36
I thought you might come through, Jennifer. :) Thanks.
The lyrics in "Our Solemn Hour" hit pretty much every Goth trope except taking advantage of the English-language "life/strife" rhyme. Gratuitous Latin? Check. A spoken-words-in-the-background part where you can't quite make out what they're saying? Check. "Chains of never-ending agony," "the misery, the pain," "insanity is all around us," "all of the suffering" ... yep, yep, yep, yep.

Still a kickass song, though.

Now I kinda wanna go out and dye my hair black again, except I know better than to think I can pull off that look at my age. Also, given that I now live in Georgia there's only about three days per year when I could wear my black-velvet black-silk black-denim black-on-black all-is-blackness Goth clothes without passing out from heatstroke, which is VERY uncool and NOT Goth at all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2018, 15:31

Jennifer wrote:
23 May 2018, 15:15
Now I kinda wanna go out and dye my hair black again, except I know better than to think I can pull off that look at my age. Also, given that I now live in Georgia there's only about three days per year when I could wear my black-velvet black-silk black-denim black-on-black all-is-blackness Goth clothes without passing out from heatstroke, which is VERY uncool and NOT Goth at all.
Heh. Years ago when I was living in FL we had a friend visit from Philly. Emo as she was we all decided to go to New Orleans for a weekend, visit the cemeteries, etc. When the locals say, "you don't want to wear that full length black dress in August" you should listen. Hell, my best mate who always wore pants made the exception to show his pasty white legs in some shorts. She made it about 50 yards into the first cemetery, turned around and sat in the car the rest of the time.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 23 May 2018, 15:49

Jennifer wrote:
Now I kinda wanna go out and dye my hair black again, except I know better than to think I can pull off that look at my age.
There's a lady in our neighborhood who we call "Goth Granny". I do think one can continue to pull off elements of the look, but going all-out is tough. I've actually encouraged my wife to dye her hair black, but she says it's actually even more work than her current Coca-Cola red.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 May 2018, 17:07

Jennifer wrote:
The lyrics in "Our Solemn Hour" hit pretty much every Goth trope except taking advantage of the English-language "life/strife" rhyme. Gratuitous Latin? Check. A spoken-words-in-the-background part where you can't quite make out what they're saying? Check. "Chains of never-ending agony," "the misery, the pain," "insanity is all around us," "all of the suffering" ... yep, yep, yep, yep.

Still a kickass song, though.
Oh, yeah. Similarly, this twenty-year-old song. Smiles of sinless murder? Stormy dark remains? Skeletons of angels shot right through the heart? Still, I like it:

It's oddly hard for me to find modern gothy stuff. I tried a "nu goth" playlist someone on Google Play had posted and it had bands including St. Vincent, Grimes, and Florence + the Machine. I mean, I like Florence + the Machine, but they don't hit me as gothy. Another one pops up Mindless Self Indulgence. Of course, right after that, I found much worse; clearly someone was trolling.

Weirdly enough, a lot of the synthwave I sometimes listen to is gothier than what I find just poking around; Dance With the Dead in particular often evoke 80s horror movie scores (just more danceable).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 May 2018, 17:10

JD wrote:
23 May 2018, 15:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
22 May 2018, 18:47
It's World Goth Day.

Do any of us have gothic music recommendations less than 15 years old?
How are we defining "gothic" exactly? I've probably got some goth metal that qualifies for < 15 years old.
It probably counts. Hell, I threw some Ghoultown in, yesterday. :)
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 17:12

Kwix wrote:
23 May 2018, 15:31
Jennifer wrote:
Heh. Years ago when I was living in FL we had a friend visit from Philly. Emo as she was we all decided to go to New Orleans for a weekend, visit the cemeteries, etc. When the locals say, "you don't want to wear that full length black dress in August" you should listen. Hell, my best mate who always wore pants made the exception to show his pasty white legs in some shorts. She made it about 50 yards into the first cemetery, turned around and sat in the car the rest of the time.
My summer wardrobe nowadays is a COMPLETELY different "look" from my pre-Georgia life: not just lots of linen (which is the best, or least-worst, fabric to wear in sticky-humid heat), but lots of white or pale, pale colors which IMO don't really flatter me at all (when you yourself are pale you kind of need darker shades to contrast), but at least they're marginally cooler to wear.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 May 2018, 17:18

I have a terrible image of some woman walking around in some truly OTT victorian-meets-bondage-wear outfit, delicately dabbing away a bit of perspiration, and then hitting a discrete switch on her corset. Cue leaf-blower sound and a look of relief.

But then, in August, I want that anyway.

JD

Post by JD » 23 May 2018, 17:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 May 2018, 17:10
JD wrote:
23 May 2018, 15:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
22 May 2018, 18:47
It's World Goth Day.

Do any of us have gothic music recommendations less than 15 years old?
How are we defining "gothic" exactly? I've probably got some goth metal that qualifies for < 15 years old.
It probably counts. Hell, I threw some Ghoultown in, yesterday. :)
I was all set to throw something at you and it turned out to be 16 years old. *sigh* This one's a little metallic, but it features both pastis and gratuitous French.

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 May 2018, 20:44

Local Nola goths know to wear suitable clothing. Summer is no joke there.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 May 2018, 21:18

Nunes knows about "the implication".
But she couldn't just leave — she was on the water.
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/business/ ... 12434.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 24 May 2018, 14:26

dhex wrote:
23 May 2018, 20:44
Local Nola goths know to wear suitable clothing. Summer is no joke there.
95 degrees, 100% humidity and the sun will be shining with no breeze.
On the plus side you'll leave a well hydrated corpse!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 May 2018, 17:31

The breakfast place I like to go to started offering an avocado toast.

It's very tasty...but the people who sniff and say their mashed and mixed avotoast isn't guacamole are actively worse than those snobs who sniff that a martini with an onion garnish is a gibson. You might as well say your fancy two-pieces-of-bread-around-a-filling is a "layered wrap" and not a sandwich.

I'm also convinced that if it were just called "breakfast guacamole", entirely different groups of people would eat it (or no longer eat it).

ETA: And yes, I've had discussions with people who sniffed that "real" avocado-on-toast isn't just sliced and put on toast, but mashed up and mixed with various ingredients. That's what guacamole is!
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 24 May 2018, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 May 2018, 17:35

Eric the .5b wrote:
24 May 2018, 17:31
You might as well say your fancy two-pieces-of-bread-around-a-filling is a "layered wrap" and not a sandwich.
Somebody is about to do this, I'm sure. Maybe they already have.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 May 2018, 17:45

thoreau wrote:
24 May 2018, 17:35
Eric the .5b wrote:
You might as well say your fancy two-pieces-of-bread-around-a-filling is a "layered wrap" and not a sandwich.
Somebody is about to do this, I'm sure. Maybe they already have.
I don't immediately find examples, but that just puts us in the about-to-do scenario.

ETA: Seriously, this is prime "What White [upper-middle class, NPR-listening] People Like" material if that hadn't shut down back in the first Obama administration.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 May 2018, 18:00

Eric the .5b wrote:

ETA: And yes, I've had discussions with people who sniffed that "real" avocado-on-toast isn't just sliced and put on toast, but mashed up and mixed with various ingredients. That's what guacamole is!
No, no, dear, that is avocado butter. Or avocado paté. Or purée d'avocat avec de la merde ajoutée. "Guacamole" sounds too... Mexican.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 May 2018, 18:07

Jennifer wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:00
Eric the .5b wrote:

No, no, dear, that is avocado butter. Or avocado paté. Or purée d'avocat avec de la merde ajoutée. "Guacamole" sounds too... Mexican.
OK, that made me laugh aloud.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 May 2018, 18:10

Guacamole is something that you put on chips. Very unhealthy.

Avocado puree is a spread for bread. Much healthier. Because bread is something you eat with regular meals while chips are a snack food.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 May 2018, 22:53

Hot dog: sandwich or not?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 May 2018, 23:14

Mo wrote:
24 May 2018, 22:53
Of course. Corndog not though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 May 2018, 01:53

thoreau wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:10

Avocado puree is a spread for bread. Much healthier. Because bread is something you eat with regular meals while chips are a snack food.
Depends on the bread. This was a very nice, hearty whole-wheat toast. Reasonable-sized pieces. Above that, the mild, sweet, oily guac. Above that, fairly thick slices of tomato. Above that, two poached eggs with coarse salt and pepper. Fruit cup and, because I knew I wouldn't eat again until fairly late, a few little sausage links.

A nice, big breakfast to be sure, but lovely.

Oh, crap, I'm going to take a picture of it next time, aren't I?

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 May 2018, 07:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:10

A nice, big breakfast to be sure, but lovely.

Oh, crap, I'm going to take a picture of it next time, aren't I?
Don't forget the V sign in your slightly canted picture that you post on Instagram...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 May 2018, 08:02

Mo wrote:
sometime's its a slur, actually

http://www.polockjohnnys.com

this is real place i only just learned about three minutes ago. since when is polock ok?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 May 2018, 09:55

I always thought that slur was spelled with an a (in the second vowel), but then again, plenty of other slurs have varied spellings thanks to the schwa.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 25 May 2018, 10:39

...and it looks like a surprising number of companies are, at least temporarily, dealing with the GDPR via the route of "We're just not going to serve Europeans, then."
Tronc's high-profile sites include the New York Daily News, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, Orlando Sentinel and Baltimore Sun.

Its message read: "Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market."

Lee Enterprises publishes 46 daily newspapers across 21 states.

Its statement read: "We're sorry. This site is temporarily unavailable. We recognise you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore cannot grant you access at this time."
I don't really understand how jurisdiction works in this issue, though - the EU is acting like all countries anywhere are subject to their law - but I haven't really seen a detailed explanation of it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 May 2018, 11:19

dhex wrote:
25 May 2018, 08:02
Mo wrote:
sometime's its a slur, actually

http://www.polockjohnnys.com

this is real place i only just learned about three minutes ago. since when is polock ok?
As with all slurs, members of the group are allowed to use it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT