Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Kolohe

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kolohe » 12 May 2018, 14:44

Shem wrote:
12 May 2018, 14:13
Oahu is awful close to the leper island.
The lepers are close to the far side of the island, in their own version of Galt's Gulch.

The closer third of that island maybe still for sale.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2018, 15:49

Gina Haspel should be tried for war crimes, not considered for a high-ranking government position.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -happened/
...The second torture victim I met was while I was stationed in Iraq. The prison that had held him was under the control of shadowy U.S.-trained Iraqi security forces. Inside, masked men bound him at the wrists and ankles and hung him upside-down. He said they neither asked him questions nor demanded information. They did whip his testicles with a leather strap, then beat the bottoms of his feet and the area around his kidneys. They slapped him. They broke the bones in his right foot with a steel rod, a piece of rebar ordinarily used to reinforce concrete.

It was painful, he told me, but he had felt pain before. What destroyed him was the feeling of utter helplessness, the inability to control things around him as he once had. He showed me the caved-in portion of his foot, which still bore a rod-like indentation with faint signs of metal grooves.....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 May 2018, 16:24

Besides if you live where there are armadillos, you're in leprosy country.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 May 2018, 17:31

lunchstealer wrote:
12 May 2018, 16:24
Besides if you live where there are armadillos, you're in leprosy country.
It's a big country.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 May 2018, 09:50

I miss Maui...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JD

Post by JD » 14 May 2018, 22:28

You know how sometimes you can never hear of something your whole life, then run into it multiple times in quick succession, no matter how random it is? In the last day I have run into references to the Bamileke people twice: once in Billy Gibbons claiming he got his hat from a Bamileke tribal member, and once in a discussion of tenses in languages (one Bamileke dialect has no fewer than one present tense, four past tenses, and four future tenses).
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 17 May 2018, 12:57

"Why Is Everybody Getting Married in a Barn?"

Because it was raining and we didn't want to make everybody stand out in the open.

"The tarnished brass lamps and faded couches are generally hauled in from boutique vintage rental companies—another business booming with the barn-wedding industry—more akin to props than random, leftover farming accoutrements."

We didn't have any tarnished brass lamps or faded couches. The champagne was kept on ice in a wheelbarrow, but that was because the bartender found the wheelbarrow in the barnyard and decided to use it. Also, for extra barn cred, a small furry creature, probably a flying squirrel, fell out of the rafters.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 May 2018, 13:36

Nice. I've only seen a flying squirrel once, and it was just 'dark, flyingsquirrelsized object comes into my line of sight from top right and stops at a tree middle left and as I'm moving my head/eyes to try to follow it, the blob moves out of sight around the trunk at squirreltreescrabbling speed,' so not a POSITIVE positive ID but it really couldn't have been anything else.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2018, 18:42

I refilled a prescription for megadose vitamin D, and at my local CVS, the pharmacy pickup line goes through the aisle where one side sells very cheap, impulse-purchase toys, including miniature tea sets featuring a tiny teapot, sugar bowl, and cups and saucers. And it occurred to me: most non-game, non-electronic toys are basically ways for kids to either play-pretend or play-imagine things they see adults do, either in real life or in movies -- play with toy carpentry tools, play in a pretend kitchen with pretend cookware, push a little car and imagine yourself driving it, use a light saber to fight Darth Vader, and so forth -- but how many kids in America (as opposed to England) actually see adults having tea parties anymore? Coffee klatsches, sure -- but not tea parties. I don't think I've ever even known someone who went to an actual tea party. I don't recall seeing one on TV or in a movie either. Yet china or porcelain tea sets have been a toy-store staple longer than I've been alive.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2018, 20:50

Mystery solved! One of my Facebook friends informed me that many "American Girl" dolls have tea parties in their storybooks -- and apparently there are tea parties held in actual American Girl doll-stores too (source: she took her niece to one).

JD

Post by JD » 18 May 2018, 12:41

lunchstealer wrote:
17 May 2018, 13:36
Nice. I've only seen a flying squirrel once, and it was just 'dark, flyingsquirrelsized object comes into my line of sight from top right and stops at a tree middle left and as I'm moving my head/eyes to try to follow it, the blob moves out of sight around the trunk at squirreltreescrabbling speed,' so not a POSITIVE positive ID but it really couldn't have been anything else.
I didn't get a great look at this one either, and there was some debate over whether it was a flying squirrel or a chipmunk. It was quite small, but the coloring and overall appearance looked more flying-squirrel-ish to me, and it did fall out of rafters in a barn.

The whole story: it was during the first dance. My wife and I were on the dance floor. This critter suddenly fell out of the rafters, bounced off my mom's shoulder as she was seated at a table, ran down the length of the table and dropped to the floor near my feet, then ran off. The entire thing happened so fast most people weren't even really aware of it, and we had to piece it together afterwards, Rashomon-style.

JD

Post by JD » 22 May 2018, 14:21

______ man climbs on playground equipment to tell children where babies come from
According to the ______________ Times, a __________ man climbed on top a piece of equipment at a ___________ playground Sunday and yelled at a bunch of children in the area.

He was apparently screaming at the children about where babies come from.
You get ONE guess what state this was in.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 May 2018, 14:48

JD wrote:
22 May 2018, 14:21
______ man climbs on playground equipment to tell children where babies come from
According to the ______________ Times, a __________ man climbed on top a piece of equipment at a ___________ playground Sunday and yelled at a bunch of children in the area.

There's a thread for that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 May 2018, 16:12

JD wrote:

Of course it was Clearwater. Home to batshit crazy in all its forms, in-laws included.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 May 2018, 18:47

It's World Goth Day.

Do any of us have gothic music recommendations less than 15 years old?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 May 2018, 18:50

Kwix wrote:
22 May 2018, 16:12
JD wrote:

Of course it was Clearwater. Home to batshit crazy in all its forms, in-laws included.
I actually like the St. Pete area more than the rest of FL.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 May 2018, 19:35

Eric the .5b wrote:
22 May 2018, 18:47
It's World Goth Day.

"Dirt from a Holy Place" by OSI is ... [checks release date] .... only three months older than 15 years! And a really good song, if you skip through the slooooooow introductory part. The dark-n-sexy cool part starts at the 1:40 mark.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 May 2018, 19:38

Our Solemn Hour from Within Temptation is only 11 years old. By Goth standards, that's practically new music.

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 May 2018, 19:58

does chelsea wolfe count?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 May 2018, 21:36

I thought you might come through, Jennifer. :) Thanks.
dhex wrote:
22 May 2018, 19:58
does chelsea wolfe count?
Looks like it! Thanks.

Ericka Nockalls looks goth-adjacent more than anything, but I'll throw her in.

(ETA: And where would I be without some SIsters of Mercy, Bauhaus, and Ghoultown?)

(That's right, the long live version of "Bela Lugosi's Dead".)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 01:41

There's an old cartoon trope where a cat is yowling on a fence, and an exasperated human living nearby opens a window and throws a shoe at it.

In other news, it sounds like the feral cat colony in my apartment complex is having a loud, yowling orgy right now. I have no shoes I don't want, plus I wouldn't want to hurt the cats anyway -- but if I had a garden hose and outdoor faucet I'd spray the hell out of 'em.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 02:11

Jeff and I were trying to leave the gas station near us today (we have to make a left turn to get home, and were waiting for traffic to clear out enough to let us do so), and then, coming from our left, was a truck belching VERY thick clouds of brownish-black smoke. There was a cop car two vehicles behind him, and after Jeff commented "There's a guy with no muffler" I said "I'm amazed that cop isn't pulling him over."

The truck drove past us and then took the second entrance into the gas station, and followed by a little station-wagon-type vehicle and then the cop car, which turned on its lights as soon as it pulled in. "There he goes," Jeff said -- and then, also from our left, we saw three more cop cars turn on their lights and speed into the gas-station via the driveway we were waiting in. (Remember, we'd been inside that station barely a minute before.) "What the hell's going on?" I asked. "I doubt four cop cars came out for a truck with exhaust problems."

Any other city I've lived in, if four cop cars with flashing lights had to pull into a place of business it would make the front page of the paper next day. But since this is suburban Atlanta, I doubt I'll ever know what happened.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2018, 09:06

Having some bar friends who are just hitting 30 is weird because they were all emo kids and talk about the cure and bauhaus like something kinda old timey but classy thing your grandpa listened to.

lunchstealer

Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by lunchstealer » 23 May 2018, 14:49

Eric the .5b wrote:It's World Goth Day.

JD

Post by JD » 23 May 2018, 15:06

Eric the .5b wrote:
22 May 2018, 18:47
It's World Goth Day.

How are we defining "gothic" exactly? I've probably got some goth metal that qualifies for < 15 years old.