Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post Reply
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22463
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Mo » 28 Feb 2018, 21:40

Doing another restart.

Josh Barro's article on woke capitalism is far superior to Douthat's (shocking). Most companies don't care about olds or rurals, so companies are going to lean left. And when you looks at companies like Delta and Hertz, where their revenue is even more driven by UMC urbanites, you're going to get even more liberal. National politicians don't have to deal with it. In a world where the electorate is age 25-55 and 3/4 urban, Hillary is the right wing presidential candidate.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13881
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 28 Feb 2018, 22:01

IOW: Corporations are as much into corn pone politics as the average person. Who would have thought?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22463
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Mo » 28 Feb 2018, 22:04

Less that companies are into politics and more that it's a good strategy to align with your customers'/employees' views. Which is why non-consumer facing businesses, like mineral extraction, are solely about economic policies.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 02 Mar 2018, 17:53

I have a moderately sized cookbook collection, after the cullings I did when leaving Connecticut and then Virginia -- about five shelf-feet of books, and another shelf-foot plus a couple shelf-inches of recipe magazines and pamphlets -- and while certain favorite or oft-used household recipes are printed out and collected in a large three-ring binder I've dedicated to that specific purpose, that "binder of recipes" isn't even one percent of all recipes I've got. If I were rich, I would call a temp agency and hire someone to spend a few weeks (or however long it takes) typing/scanning ALL of my recipes into an easily cross-referenced computer database.

Today, Jeff told me he'd bought a boneless pork loin because it was on sale for a super-cheap price, so he suggested I find a recipe to use for it. So I've been going though my cookbook collection, first by taking my various slow-cooker cookbooks off the shelf then turning to the index of each book to peruse what they have under "pork." Next I plan to go through my "Taste of Home" yearbooks, then the recipe magazines. I've found one recipe that's a good candidate, because it calls for cooking the roast in apple juice, an idea I like solely so I can use up the apple-juice boxes I'd bought in preparation for a hurricane which fortunately didn't hit me too bad -- but it would be really awesome if I could instead, like, go to my recipe database search engine and look for "pork loin" recipes which also call for "apple juice" in their ingredient list, say. And then, not only would the recipe itself come up, but that database would also say that the original copy is on page 72 of the book "Betty Crocker's Gourmet Slow Cooker Recipes" or whatever.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 855
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Mar 2018, 18:19

Honeywell's gotcha covered (doesn't say whether you are stuck wth Helen Corbitt's (whoever she was) cookbooks or if there was an option to enter your own. Expensive but it makes up for it by using all the space in the kitchen.
f9a5317f1.jpg
f9a5317f1.jpg (176.26 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 02 Mar 2018, 18:35

dead_elvis wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:19
Honeywell's gotcha covered (doesn't say whether you are stuck with Helen Corbitt's (whoever she was) cookbooks
I Googled her name, and apparently she was a fancy-gourmet cook in the 1960s. Odd that for my decades of thrift-shopping I don't recall ever coming across her name (and I've seen and collected some very esoteric books, over the years), but a Google search shows that her employer was Neiman-Marcus so yeah -- while her stuff was mass-produced, it wasn't in the abundant and cheap quantities of something like Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens (nor is her name as recognizable as someone like Julia Child's to thrift shoppers of today.

That picture is the "Neiman Marcus Kitchen Computer" which cost $10,000 in 1969.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neiman_Ma ... n_Computer
The Honeywell Kitchen Computer, or H316 pedestal model, of 1969 was a short-lived product offered by Neiman Marcus as one of a continuing series of extravagant gift ideas.[10] It sold for $10,000 ($77,804 in 2016 dollars), weighed over 100 pounds (over 45 kg) and was advertised as useful for storing recipes. The imagined uses of the Honeywell Kitchen Computer also included assistance with meal planning and balancing the family checkbook – the marketing of which included highly traditional and patronizing representations of housewives.[11] Reading or entering these recipes would have been nearly impossible for the average housewife or cook, since the user interface required the user to complete a two-week course just to learn how to program the device, using only toggle-switch input and binary-light output. It had a built-in cutting board and had a few recipes built in. No evidence has been found that any Honeywell Kitchen Computers were ever sold.

The full text of the Neiman-Marcus Advertisement reads:

If she can only cook as well as Honeywell can compute.

Her souffles are supreme, her meal planning a challenge? She's what the Honeywell people had in mind when they devised our Kitchen Computer. She'll learn to program it with a cross-reference to her favorite recipes by N-M's own Helen Corbitt. Then by simply pushing a few buttons obtain a complete menu organized around the entree. And if she pales at reckoning her lunch tabs, she can program it to balance the family checkbook. 84A 10,600.00 complete with two week programming course. 84B Fed with Corbitt data: the original Helen Corbitt cookbook with over 1,000 recipes $100 (.75) 84C Her Potluck, 375 of our famed Zodiac restaurant's best kept secret recipes 3.95 (.75) Corbitt Epicure 84D Her Labaird Apron, one-size, ours alone by Clairdon House, multi-pastel provincial cotton 26.00 (.90) Trophy Room

Although a fantasy gift, the Kitchen Computer represented the first time a computer was offered as a consumer product. [13]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1353
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kwix » 02 Mar 2018, 18:57

Recently I've been tempted to code up a recipe storage system because every one I've looked at has (or does not have) some little thing I disagree with. Things like items can't be entered in weight measurements or there's no good way of representing "prep time", "rest time" and "cook time", particularly if the item is a multi-step process (overnight rest for bread plus hot box proofing). The biggest thing for me is a flexible ingredient search and a method search.

For example, right now I have jowl bacon, fresh sage, fresh rosemary and want to do something in a slow cooker. I want to require the slow cooker and the bacon, with the other two being optional and would like it to be of Southern European flair. I have yet to find anything other than a full text search that will let me do anything like that.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 02 Mar 2018, 19:13

Kwix wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:57
Recently I've been tempted to code up a recipe storage system because every one I've looked at has (or does not have) some little thing I disagree with. Things like items can't be entered in weight measurements or there's no good way of representing "prep time", "rest time" and "cook time", particularly if the item is a multi-step process (overnight rest for bread plus hot box proofing). The biggest thing for me is a flexible ingredient search and a method search.

For example, right now I have jowl bacon, fresh sage, fresh rosemary and want to do something in a slow cooker. I want to require the slow cooker and the bacon, with the other two being optional and would like it to be of Southern European flair. I have yet to find anything other than a full text search that will let me do anything like that.
I hadn't even thought of adding your first paragraph's listed requirements to my hypothetical database!

As for the second -- yeah, I wish I had something more streamlined than my current system, which is: First, look through my slow-cooker recipe books to see if anything is there for jowl bacon. Also, check through the various "Regional cuisines of the world" cookbooks to see what's there form Southern Europe. I should probably check my handful of various-edition "all-purpose" cookbooks, the tabbed Betty Crocker or BH&G cookbooks that used to be standard-issue wedding gifts, back in the day.

I might have something absolutely perfect in one of my recipe magazines or pamphlets, or one of the locally published Junior League or church ladies' club cookbooks ... but my chances of finding that recipe today, as I specifically look for a Southern European/Mediterranean style jowl-bacon recipe with the other specific requirements you laid out, is actually kinda small because I don't have that much time to spend looking.

As for my own pork loin recipe search, I found another possibility I Like even better, because it sounds tastier: slow-cooker pork roast in creamy mustard sauce. But that was after several minutes of going through the indexes of rather a few books. Would've been a lot easier, if I could've just typed "pork roast" or "pork loin" into a search, and been rewarded with a list of recipe titles.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 6935
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Shem » 02 Mar 2018, 19:17

I haven't used a cookbook in years. There's no real reason to when you have Google to check any of the websites that offer recipes.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15471
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Mar 2018, 19:49

BTW, I know I push this whenever anything ever is mentioned, but my favorite use for cheap pork loin is southwest green chili.

My general recipe is:

2-3lbs lean pork, cubed in ~1inch pieces
24-27oz canned or otherwise prepared diced roasted green chilis
6-8 medium-to-large tomatillos roughly chopped however you want, really or just thrown in whole
onions - cut into strips like one might use for fajitas
red/orange/yellow bell peppers - also a la fajita - Kroger sells this frozen as their 'three pepper and onion mix' which is a really easy way to do it.
1 can hominy (yellow, white, or Mexican-style) or one package dried posole if you can get your hands on it
2 tbsp to maybe 1/4 cup masa flour or harina (I go with harina de atole but that's probably not widely available outside the Four Corners states)
one can black beans maybe
Some chicken broth or stock or similar. Not much. Could also be beer.
a good amount of cumin, prolly at least 1 tbsp.
three good amounts of chili powder, prolly at least 3 tbsp or more.
maybe some ground chipotles for heat and a little smokiness.

Brown pork in a skillet - doesn't need to be cooked through, just a nice brown sear to get some flavor tastyness going on. Put it in the crock pot.

carmelize onions and peppers in the same skillet used for the pork. Deglaze with small amount of whatever liquid to get the brown tasty bits off the skillet. All of that goes in the crock pot.

Put everything else in the crock pot except the harina/masa.

Cook it good and long. At least 3 hours on high, or 5+ hours on low.

Add harina/masa (masa may need to be in a slurry, not necessary with the harina) about 15 minutes before it's 'done' to thicken.
Can also use one package frozen cut okra (added at the beginning) to add some thickening but that's way off script for southwestern cuisine so just know you're culturally appropriating both indigenous Pueblo culture and African culture if you do it and you're a racist and that's bad.

I use a potato masher to break up the pork some, and break up the tomatillos if necessary.

ETA: I suppose I should put a bit of cooking oil of your choice on the ingredients list for the browning phase, but that's kind of part and parcel of browning meat in a skillet.
Last edited by lunchstealer on 02 Mar 2018, 20:01, edited 2 times in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15471
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Mar 2018, 19:50

Prep time is maybe half an hour max. Cook time is as long as you can afford. but seriously not less than three hours or the pork will be tough-ish.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Mar 2018, 20:14

DUPE
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 02 Mar 2018, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Mar 2018, 20:21

Kwix wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:57
Recently I've been tempted to code up a recipe storage system because every one I've looked at has (or does not have) some little thing I disagree with. Things like items can't be entered in weight measurements or there's no good way of representing "prep time", "rest time" and "cook time", particularly if the item is a multi-step process (overnight rest for bread plus hot box proofing). The biggest thing for me is a flexible ingredient search and a method search.
I've actually been looking into this (especially as part of a family cookbook project with my mom), and my solution so far is an org-mode document. It's basically a plain-text document outliner hopped up on enough drugs that it is a self-transforming machine elf. So, you can structure your data as you need to and search it (or do calculations on it—I use it to track the calories of what I eat) as you need.

But, that requires becoming an Emacs user. As a more general idea, you might look at storing recipes as searchable documents in a database (or files in a directory), perhaps with tags. Then, add more metadata for the things you can't search, like total-time-to-prepare and the like.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Mar 2018, 20:30

Unrelated, I've come across more and more people in the web geek community who wax nostalgic about the days people built their own web sites instead of posting on teh korporit blogs.

Myself, I remember how many of those pages were ugly-ass things with nothing to actually read or look at. At least with blogs, more people actually wrote something, good or not.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13881
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 02 Mar 2018, 20:44

Shem wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 19:17
I haven't used a cookbook in years. There's no real reason to when you have Google to check any of the websites that offer recipes.
Or one can just read what it says on the back of the box....
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8585
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by nicole » 03 Mar 2018, 09:23

So last night there was a shooting at Water Tower Place, which is a very popular mall on the Magnificent Mile. (Gang-related)

This morning it's still trending on Twitter and I was wondering if there was any new news and it's just a million righties being like "but Chicago has strict gun control, guns are illegal in Chicago!"

When are these motherfuckers going to get the memo?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10006
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by JD » 05 Mar 2018, 10:56

People have been commenting on this story about how Amazon pays no US income taxes, which is certainly noteworthy, but I find myself wondering why anyone is surprised. You set up a massively complicated system with all kinds of incentives and disincentives, and then you're surprised when the people with the most money, the most resources, and the most to gain or lose spend the most time figuring out how to work the system?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13881
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 05 Mar 2018, 11:59

JD wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 10:56
People have been commenting on this story about how Amazon pays no US income taxes, which is certainly noteworthy, but I find myself wondering why anyone is surprised. You set up a massively complicated system with all kinds of incentives and disincentives, and then you're surprised when the people with the most money, the most resources, and the most to gain or lose spend the most time figuring out how to work the system?
I've been making that argument for 45 years. The 'tax-the-rich, tax-the-corporations' types still don't get the fact that, if you have a high-tax regime, those with the best lawyers and accountants are going to pay less because you are always going to have to put 'incentives' in the plan to promote the type of investment you desire (whether that's solar-powered condoms or high-speed rectal thermometers.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8585
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by nicole » 05 Mar 2018, 12:51

I really don't share other people's definition of "ghoul."
An apparent fire drill had abruptly turned into a bloodbath after a gunman calculatingly lured potential victims into the halls of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School by pulling the fire alarm -- a ghoulish maneuver designed to maximize the bodycount.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2725
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jasper » 05 Mar 2018, 14:32

Seriously. The word they were looking for was 'efficient'.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17818
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Mar 2018, 14:43

Aresen wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 11:59
JD wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 10:56
People have been commenting on this story about how Amazon pays no US income taxes, which is certainly noteworthy, but I find myself wondering why anyone is surprised. You set up a massively complicated system with all kinds of incentives and disincentives, and then you're surprised when the people with the most money, the most resources, and the most to gain or lose spend the most time figuring out how to work the system?
I've been making that argument for 45 years. The 'tax-the-rich, tax-the-corporations' types still don't get the fact that, if you have a high-tax regime, those with the best lawyers and accountants are going to pay less because you are always going to have to put 'incentives' in the plan to promote the type of investment you desire (whether that's solar-powered condoms or high-speed rectal thermometers.)
Well, hard as it is for most people to believe, the state not only doesn't have to use its taxing power to promote any particular social agenda, it's arguably unconstitutional here in the Lower 48, not that that's ever stopped the federal government. What I find maddening is the apparent inability of those same people to grasp that corporations don't actually pay any taxes even if they do send a check to Uncle Sam every year. Couple this with the absolutely zero traction the simple concept of making private individuals' health insurance expenses tax deductions got (you know, like corporate expenses!) and it's not hard to see how health care / insurance policy in the U.S. is so thoroughly fucked up.

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1353
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kwix » 10 Mar 2018, 22:16

I'm not really sure where to share this so here it goes.
Short Story: Yesterday I met my first Trumpian, anti-semetic Canadian who was very concerned about illegal immigration (to Canada, natch).

Long Story: Our bathroom is still out of order so we went to the washateria for a shower. The attendant kindly informed us that since one of the two showers was out of order we'd have to shower consecutively. She was nice enough to shave $2 off the price for us. Mrs. Kwix proceeds to take her shower and I talk with the attendant about family and whatnot. After the Mrs. is done I start my shower. Just for edification, these are just elevated rooms with a fiberglass shower surround situated in the middle of the laundromat; the rooms do not have a discrete ceiling of their own and as such you can hear the sounds coming from outside the shower room.
As I'm wrapping up my shower, having dried off and have started putting my clothes on I hear the following from the attendant, "Our Prime Minister, Trudeau is the most evil leader ever. He's worse than Hitler because he gives away all of Canada's money. Actually, Hitler did good things. He created over a million jobs in his first 18 months. Besides the whole WWII thing wasn't Germany's fault because he didn't invade Poland, Poland attacked Germany." At this point I was dressed and ready to get the hell out of there. Another few minutes of conversation ensued including discussion of how a "whole bunch of Indians" are migrating to Canada and just living off of the pension without having earned it and how Canada makes excuses for not taking care of it's veterans while giving foreign aid to other countries.
In the car the Mrs. said that part of the conversation I couldn't hear while in the shower included talk of how Hitler "cleaned up Berlin" because "the Jews were pushing pornography, gay sex and pedophilia", that the United States "backed Stalin" and how that despite our backing of "the wrong people" in the past it won't happen now because Trump is a business man and knows what is a smart investment.
I find this all humorous because the attendant is A)Canadian B)living in Alaska probably illegally having overstaying a visa.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13881
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 10 Mar 2018, 23:00

Kwix wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 22:16
I'm not really sure where to share this so here it goes.
Short Story: Yesterday I met my first Trumpian, anti-semetic Canadian who was very concerned about illegal immigration (to Canada, natch).

Long Story: Our bathroom is still out of order so we went to the washateria for a shower. The attendant kindly informed us that since one of the two showers was out of order we'd have to shower consecutively. She was nice enough to shave $2 off the price for us. Mrs. Kwix proceeds to take her shower and I talk with the attendant about family and whatnot. After the Mrs. is done I start my shower. Just for edification, these are just elevated rooms with a fiberglass shower surround situated in the middle of the laundromat; the rooms do not have a discrete ceiling of their own and as such you can hear the sounds coming from outside the shower room.
As I'm wrapping up my shower, having dried off and have started putting my clothes on I hear the following from the attendant, "Our Prime Minister, Trudeau is the most evil leader ever. He's worse than Hitler because he gives away all of Canada's money. Actually, Hitler did good things. He created over a million jobs in his first 18 months. Besides the whole WWII thing wasn't Germany's fault because he didn't invade Poland, Poland attacked Germany." At this point I was dressed and ready to get the hell out of there. Another few minutes of conversation ensued including discussion of how a "whole bunch of Indians" are migrating to Canada and just living off of the pension without having earned it and how Canada makes excuses for not taking care of it's veterans while giving foreign aid to other countries.
In the car the Mrs. said that part of the conversation I couldn't hear while in the shower included talk of how Hitler "cleaned up Berlin" because "the Jews were pushing pornography, gay sex and pedophilia", that the United States "backed Stalin" and how that despite our backing of "the wrong people" in the past it won't happen now because Trump is a business man and knows what is a smart investment.
I find this all humorous because the attendant is A)Canadian B)living in Alaska probably illegally having overstaying a visa.
Dammit, I thought we kept them all in the Kootenays. Usually, they are non-migratory.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1353
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kwix » 11 Mar 2018, 14:38

This one was a long runner from Winnipeg.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 11 Mar 2018, 14:45

Kwix wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 22:16
Our bathroom is still out of order so we went to the washateria for a shower.
Huh. I'm used to "washateria" meaning the same thing as "laundromat": a place where you could pay to use clothes-washing machines. But the only "pay to use a shower" businesses I've seen (outside of campgrounds and the like) were at privately owned highway truck stops. I never knew it was an actual business catering to non-truckers, too. Is that an Alaska thing, perhaps?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jake and 3 guests