Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Jennifer

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jennifer » 28 Mar 2018, 16:23

I read this only recently, but can't find the right search terms to find it again, but: in short, "permanent happiness" is absolutely not possible, due to the way humans are wired. Indeed, if happiness were or could be a permanent state, it would be downright detrimental to our survival, personally and as a species. I suspect that's also related to how very, very adaptable humans tend to be -- we can adapt to pretty much anything.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Mar 2018, 18:29

We can adapt to it but we'll also bitch about it! :D
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Mar 2018, 19:07

i'm pretty sure they call that "taking a lot of xanax"
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2018, 20:29

Jennifer wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 16:23
I read this only recently, but can't find the right search terms to find it again, but: in short, "permanent happiness" is absolutely not possible, due to the way humans are wired. Indeed, if happiness were or could be a permanent state, it would be downright detrimental to our survival, personally and as a species. I suspect that's also related to how very, very adaptable humans tend to be -- we can adapt to pretty much anything.
Have some soma.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2018, 20:49

So I never thought I'd say this, but Cynthia Nixon seems like a pretty credible candidate.
Nixon also said she didn’t understand why the Second Avenue subway had cost $3.5 billion. She feels the project should have only cost “half a billion” dollars per mile and said that union agreements would need to be addressed to bring costs down.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2018, 16:52

Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 13:23
Highway wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 12:46
We have what seems a wannabe megachurch named "Uproar" here, that's had signs out on the streets saying "Easter Bunny + Helicopter = Uproar". Turns out they're going to have an Easter thing on Saturday with the easter bunny dropping 40,000 eggs from a helicopter, and all I can think of is the WKRP Thanksgiving Turkey Drop, but bombing a lot of kids with plastic eggs from a helicopter.
The wannabe church near me is ALSO doing a helicopter egg drop! They're renting the school auditorium for a Sunday Easter service, and the school football field for the egg drop the day before.
During my exercise-walk yesterday I saw one of those little self-made lawn signs for yet ANOTHER wannabe non-denominational church holding an Easter service next Sunday.

There's a fairly common trope about wannabe creative types or celebrities struggling to make it: the would-be movie stars waiting tables throughout LA; the would-be musicians working dull day jobs so they can do gigs every night; the movie/comic book Mystery Men had a funny take on that, featuring wannabe superheroes struggling to make the bigtime (and also struggling with their envy of the heroes who already made the big leagues)... and now I'm imagining something similar with wannabe pastors, working their nine-to-five jobs so they can afford to preach on weekends, and after their Sunday services they all meet up at this one Waffle House to humblebrag about how they're doing and trash-talk Creflo Dollar and Joel Osteen and Peter Popoff and the other celebrity Christians who made it big.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Mar 2018, 18:11

Related to the earlier Uber convo about playlists. The driver was playing hip hop and switched to classic rock after I got in. So more than a feeling was playing. Should I be insulted?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2018, 18:31

yes.

eta: were you wearing cargo shorts? in which case you were asking for it and now you have to marry him.
Last edited by dhex on 29 Mar 2018, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2018, 18:32

He knew you rocked.

Boston rocks.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2018, 18:33

More Than A Feeling is the daddiest of Dad Rock and -- no offense, Mo -- you are very much a Dad nowadays.

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2018, 18:37

i thought dad rock now would be like war on drugs or, like, pavement? that song came out the year before i was born!

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2018, 18:44

I just saw an fb poll by 28 year old asking friends what's dad rock to them. Pavement is in play because several referenced Everlong era Foos. War on Drugs may sound like dad rock but it can't be on the numbers - dads don't know who they are.

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2018, 18:51

dad rock is a foreign country.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2018, 19:08

To qualify as Dad Rock, a song or band has to be popular with the majority of white male Baby Boomers. It is known.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2018, 19:51

Jennifer wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 19:08
To qualify as Dad Rock, a song or band has to be popular with the majority of white male Baby Boomers. It is known.
That's closing on granddad rock nowadays. Dad rock is early Xer stuff. Rush, Boston/Foreigner/Journey, REM/U2, Hair Metal, accessible Grunge, and the DMB/Jam Band era. People who were conceived to Massive Attack's "Teardrop" are voting now.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Mar 2018, 20:12

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 19:51
Jennifer wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 19:08
That's closing on granddad rock nowadays. Dad rock is early Xer stuff. Rush, Boston/Foreigner/Journey, REM/U2, Hair Metal, accessible Grunge, and the DMB/Jam Band era. People who were conceived to Massive Attack's "Teardrop" are voting now.
The reason millennials suck is cuz they were conceived to "Two Princes" and born to "Mr. Jones and Me."
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Mar 2018, 20:37

dhex wrote:yes.

eta: were you wearing cargo shorts? in which case you were asking for it and now you have to marry him.
I was wearing my nice checkered Oxford, black jeans and grey suede Vans. Oh dear god

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2018, 21:05

Hahah.

It happens man.

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2018, 22:15

If my driver had turned off the LL Cool J the other day I would have been pissed.

She did not and we had a great chat about what I should do in Vegas.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Mar 2018, 11:29

nicole wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 22:15
If my driver had turned off the LL Cool J the other day I would have been pissed.

I was listening to LL Cool J just the other day, so I guess he qualifies as dad rap now.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Mar 2018, 11:57

But he's doin' it well.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 12:15

Jennifer wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:52
Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 13:23
Highway wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 12:46
We have what seems a wannabe megachurch named "Uproar" here, that's had signs out on the streets saying "Easter Bunny + Helicopter = Uproar". Turns out they're going to have an Easter thing on Saturday with the easter bunny dropping 40,000 eggs from a helicopter, and all I can think of is the WKRP Thanksgiving Turkey Drop, but bombing a lot of kids with plastic eggs from a helicopter.
The wannabe church near me is ALSO doing a helicopter egg drop! They're renting the school auditorium for a Sunday Easter service, and the school football field for the egg drop the day before.
During my exercise-walk yesterday I saw one of those little self-made lawn signs for yet ANOTHER wannabe non-denominational church holding an Easter service next Sunday.

There's a fairly common trope about wannabe creative types or celebrities struggling to make it: the would-be movie stars waiting tables throughout LA; the would-be musicians working dull day jobs so they can do gigs every night; the movie/comic book Mystery Men had a funny take on that, featuring wannabe superheroes struggling to make the bigtime (and also struggling with their envy of the heroes who already made the big leagues)... and now I'm imagining something similar with wannabe pastors, working their nine-to-five jobs so they can afford to preach on weekends, and after their Sunday services they all meet up at this one Waffle House to humblebrag about how they're doing and trash-talk Creflo Dollar and Joel Osteen and Peter Popoff and the other celebrity Christians who made it big.
They're on the endangered species list so you rarely see them anymore, but there use to be quite a few nuns working min-wage jobs to keep their convent afloat.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Mar 2018, 13:18

tr0g wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:29
nicole wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 22:15

I was listening to LL Cool J just the other day, so I guess he qualifies as dad rap now.
He's 50. I don't know what the line is, but I'm pretty sure it's between 40 and 50.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 14:07

Dads seem to have become a dominant cultural force. They have their own bods, jokes, rock.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Mar 2018, 14:33

I have noticed recently, and maybe you have too, that women be shoppin'.

What do you think?
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex