Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Eric the .5b

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Apr 2018, 23:52

Pham Nuwen wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 23:33
I just imagine people who do joke reviews on Amazon having there own place out there somewhere. *gazes into the distance* I want to believe.
I'm reminded of this old xkcd.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 30 Apr 2018, 17:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 23:52
Pham Nuwen wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 23:33
I just imagine people who do joke reviews on Amazon having there own place out there somewhere. *gazes into the distance* I want to believe.
I'm reminded of this old xkcd.
You know, I have actually experienced that xkcd situation in a weird way, from the other side. I once worked at a company that had early in its existence, been kind of casting around for a moneymaking opportunity and had tried to sell some social-networking/online community-type software. It never really took off, but the demo servers were left running and largely ignored. Years later, the company was finally getting around to cleaning up some things, and we were ordered to shut the systems down within 30 days or so. I had barely given these servers any thought, and was only vaguely aware of what was on them, but when we posted the shutdown banner saying "this site will go away", some users of the site contacted us begging us not to do it. I forget what community they had built - it was vampire LARPers or something, I think - but they'd spent years on this forum, and they were seriously distraught at it going away. I actually felt really bad for them, but there wasn't much I could do directly; the systems were scheduled to go away. I think I mentioned to some superiors and basically got the answer "whatever". Today I hope I'd help them migrate to somewhere new, even if I had to do it on the sly.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 30 Apr 2018, 17:34

This case came up recently in NYC - a guy wore a Make America Great Again hat to a bar, and they ejected him, apparently because they found his hat offensive. The guy sued for discrimination, and a judge ruled against him, because political orientation is not a "protected class", and therefore you are free to eject people for having the wrong politics.

Fair enough, but I wonder about how that might play out in practice. Could, for example, a bakery refuse to make a cake for a gay couple not because they're gay but because they're Democrats, or because they support gay marriage rights? Those are, after all, political orientations, and it seems like that might open a big hole in anti-discrimination law.

(Yes, I know how it will play out in practice. The courts will hold that you're allowed to practice those forms of discrimination that they like, but not those that they don't like.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Apr 2018, 17:37

JD wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:34
Yes, I know how it will play out in practice. The courts will hold that you're allowed to practice those forms of discrimination that they like, but not those that they don't like.
I don't know about that. Over time the courts tend to shore up the division lines. They'll have to find something particular to either the discrimination they like, or they don't like to hang it on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Apr 2018, 19:26

JD wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:15
I actually felt really bad for them, but there wasn't much I could do directly; the systems were scheduled to go away. I think I mentioned to some superiors and basically got the answer "whatever". Today I hope I'd help them migrate to somewhere new, even if I had to do it on the sly.
Oh, that's wacky.

A previous version of my company's website had a forum that a dipshit former technician of ours had installed without permission. (We're a small IT/programming house. We had no call for a public forum, and when I mentioned to to my boss, he was bewildered and told me to kill it.) Nobody was actually using it after we fired him, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Apr 2018, 19:36

JD wrote:
This case came up recently in NYC - a guy wore a Make America Great Again hat to a bar, and they ejected him, apparently because they found his hat offensive. The guy sued for discrimination, and a judge ruled against him, because political orientation is not a "protected class", and therefore you are free to eject people for having the wrong politics.

Fair enough, but I wonder about how that might play out in practice. Could, for example, a bakery refuse to make a cake for a gay couple not because they're gay but because they're Democrats, or because they support gay marriage rights? Those are, after all, political orientations, and it seems like that might open a big hole in anti-discrimination law.

(Yes, I know how it will play out in practice. The courts will hold that you're allowed to practice those forms of discrimination that they like, but not those that they don't like.)
The proper response to men who wear hats indoors is to have that hat affixed to their head via a railroad spike and their corpse be tossed in the Gowanus canal.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Apr 2018, 20:12

Warren wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:37
JD wrote:
Yes, I know how it will play out in practice. The courts will hold that you're allowed to practice those forms of discrimination that they like, but not those that they don't like.
I don't know about that. Over time the courts tend to shore up the division lines. They'll have to find something particular to either the discrimination they like, or they don't like to hang it on.
I believe hypocrisy has been elevated to a universal human right.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Apr 2018, 20:14

Should have worn the hat backwards. Sounds like a douchey place. He probably would have fit in that way.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Apr 2018, 20:33

The Root reports that the owner of the bar had this to say (which the NY Post story does not mention):
At the Happiest Hour we firmly support women’s rights, marriage equality, gun control, the environment, and regard for the truth—we don’t discriminate. What’s gotten lost in this story is that the guest wasn’t kicked out because he was wearing a Trump hat—he was asked to leave after being verbally abusive to our staff, which is something we don’t tolerate regardless of who you are. And this is after he spent almost $200—the 20 percent tip he left would seem to indicate he was satisfied with the service he received.
https://www.theroot.com/judge-to-man-wh ... 1825563789
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Apr 2018, 21:13

JD wrote:

There was a gerrymandering case in NC similar to this. The court found that the NC Republicans were doing explicitly race based gerrymandering and the Republicans tried to claim it was not because they were black, but because they were Democrats. That argument did not fly in court.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 May 2018, 08:49

We seem to have a 3rd shift supervisor working here by the name of Jaquay Chiles.

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 03 May 2018, 13:39

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 16:53

I saw that on a link-aggregator site this morning! I wish I could ask the guy -- off the record, none of this will be repeated to the cops or courts -- "What the HELL were you THINKING?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 May 2018, 18:16

Hey, finally a public school administrator that gives a shit!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 May 2018, 18:31

It was in NJ. Of course it was a dump.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2018, 20:25

Woo I’m derby / cinco drunk. My maintain skills are on display tho.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 May 2018, 22:18

JasonL wrote:
05 May 2018, 20:25
Woo I’m derby / cinco drunk. My maintain skills are on display tho.
Drink more wine/tequila/bourbon as necessitates, sir! Godspeed!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2018, 22:50

Still ... maintain. Reached ... limit.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 10 May 2018, 15:31

In what will surely be a blow to self driving cars a pedestrian was struck down and dragged for blocks by a light rail train.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... r1_docnade
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 May 2018, 14:29

The aerial footage of lava fissures opening up in Hawaii would be super-cool if those fissures were in a wilderness populated only by animals -- but in an actual housing complex they're utterly horrifying.

This is why I'd never want to live in Hawaii* even if I were a surf-loving sun bunny.

*I've actually lived there before, but it doesn't count since I was only a baby.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 May 2018, 13:13

Only one island has an active volcano. The rest of the islands were formed when that hotspot was under them.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2018, 13:26

I know, but the Big Island is where most of the quote-unquote "good stuff" is.

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 May 2018, 13:34

If your definition of "good stuff" is looking at volcanos, sure. But if it's more just being in Hawaii, then there's plenty of that on Oahu, with a lot more people there.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 May 2018, 14:13

Oahu is awful close to the leper island.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2018, 14:16

OTOH, maybe I'm lucky enough to be among the majority of humanity immune to leprosy. (Though in reality it doesn't matter; if I lived in Hawaii I'd already have melanoma by now.)

I cannot remember -- and don't feel like Googling it -- but there's one island whose population is limited to native Hawaiians, and they're limited to the lifestyle and technology the natives had before Europeans showed up (with emergency exceptions a la "A helicopter to take people off-island for medical emergencies").

EDIT: It's Niihau.