Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Nov 2019, 12:34

Warren wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 09:51
You only have hardwood if you're willing to shell out the cash for hardwood.
All that good taste must be what's driving up rents then, because every goddamn place I look at—from creaky, falling-apart prewar duplexes to 80s highrises to gaudy, desperately hip new-construction sprawl complexes—not only features hardwood floors, but also touts as a benefit your having to spend extra money for a decent surface to walk on.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Nov 2019, 12:55

Hugh Akston wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 12:34
Warren wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 09:51
You only have hardwood if you're willing to shell out the cash for hardwood.
All that good taste must be what's driving up rents then, because every goddamn place I look at—from creaky, falling-apart prewar duplexes to 80s highrises to gaudy, desperately hip new-construction sprawl complexes—not only features hardwood floors, but also touts as a benefit your having to spend extra money for a decent surface to walk on.
I'm sure it is a factor. We built floors with hardwood flooring for centuries, then during the "Mad Men" era of "Modern Living" in mid-20th century wall-to-wall carpeting became a status symbol, never mind it's cheaper to install than wooden flooring. But carpeting gets old quickly, is harder to clean thoroughly and tastes change regarding color schemes and eventually more and more people realized that wooden flooring, properly stained and maintained, is warmer and more versatile and that old flooring could be salvaged from many of those falling-apart buildings, sanded and reused. Tile obviously works better in some rooms, especially bathrooms (where heated tiles is the Market!) and kitchens, and if you like different sorts of floor coverings, that's fine with the rest of us, but you're decidedly in the minority in that regard.

Plus, aren't you living in LA? Isn't every conceivable sort of housing there overpriced anyway?

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Nov 2019, 13:59

I feel like I don’t want to be renting wall-to-wall carpeting that someone else has rented...like, imagine the equivalent condition/filth of wall-to-wall carpeting compared to the hardwood floors I’ve lived with in rentals...shudder.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Nov 2019, 14:22

The most egregious cases of wall-to-wall carpeting, IMO, are when it's installed in places that REALLY need the type of flooring you can either sweep or mop clean: namely kitchens/dining rooms, bathrooms, and areas just inside the entry/exitways. Our NoVa townhouse had carpeting going right up to the sliding doors leading to the backyard, so when you came in from mowing the lawn or some other loathsome filth-inducing suburban task, it was impossible to not track dirt all in the carpet. I eventually got around that when I found an overstock place selling super-cheap squares of industrial-carpeting remnants, and used them to make a makeshift "mud room" just inside the door. The only reason I have not made a similar setup in our current apartment, in front of the sliding door leading to the patio/balcony, is because we never use said balcony anyway, since it's in glaring sunlight during all the daylight hours, and hosts the "night beetles" on nights warm enough that we might want to be outside.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Nov 2019, 14:43

Jennifer wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 14:22
The most egregious cases of wall-to-wall carpeting, IMO, are when it's installed in places that REALLY need the type of flooring you can either sweep or mop clean: namely kitchens/dining rooms, bathrooms, and areas just inside the entry/exitways. Our NoVa townhouse had carpeting going right up to the sliding doors leading to the backyard, so when you came in from mowing the lawn or some other loathsome filth-inducing suburban task, it was impossible to not track dirt all in the carpet. I eventually got around that when I found an overstock place selling super-cheap squares of industrial-carpeting remnants, and used them to make a makeshift "mud room" just inside the door. The only reason I have not made a similar setup in our current apartment, in front of the sliding door leading to the patio/balcony, is because we never use said balcony anyway, since it's in glaring sunlight during all the daylight hours, and hosts the "night beetles" on nights warm enough that we might want to be outside.
There are two design choices that exist and that I find GOD DAMNED BAFFLING LIKE WHO THE FUCK COULD POSSIBLY HAVE THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?

1 - Carpet in bathrooms. Jesus christ you know that's just gross why would you even do that?

2 - Master bathrooms without doors. If there isn't a door, it's not a different room. That means that your bedroom is a bathroom. YOU KEEP YOUR BED IN YOUR BATHROOM YOU FILTHY FUCKING FUCK.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Nov 2019, 14:58

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 14:43
Jennifer wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 14:22
There are two design choices that exist and that I find GOD DAMNED BAFFLING LIKE WHO THE FUCK COULD POSSIBLY HAVE THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?

1 - Carpet in bathrooms. Jesus christ you know that's just gross why would you even do that?

2 - Master bathrooms without doors. If there isn't a door, it's not a different room. That means that your bedroom is a bathroom. YOU KEEP YOUR BED IN YOUR BATHROOM YOU FILTHY FUCKING FUCK.
Doorless bathrooms? [Shudder] I do recall seeing pictures of truly hideous carpeted bathrooms, but only in contexts like "Old-photo blogs showcasing horrendous 1960s/70s styles" and such. But even they never had doorless bathrooms.

Addendum to my previous post: the flooring in bathrooms, kitchens, entryways and similar rooms, in addition to being sweep-able and mop-able, should not have ANY liquid-absorption qualities. I'd rather have ugly vinyl than attractive carpet, in such situations. Especially since the carpet won't stay attractive too long anyway.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Nov 2019, 18:57

I’ve only seen doorless bathrooms where a) the toilet has a door and b) the shower is obscured from the rest of the room. So you can just see the jack/Jill sink and not much else.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Nov 2019, 20:29

Mo wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 18:57
I’ve only seen doorless bathrooms where a) the toilet has a door and b) the shower is obscured from the rest of the room. So you can just see the jack/Jill sink and not much else.
Even that sounds awful, IMO. So, if one person uses the bathroom in the middle of the night, you won't necessarily wake them up while using the toilet, but they will hear you turn on the sink to wash your hands?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Nov 2019, 21:40

Mo wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 18:57
That's USUALLY the configuration, but I have seen some where the toilet is not enclosed, just out-of-view the way the shower is (usually).

And yes carpet-in-the-bathroom does mostly show up in houses from the early days of wall-to-wall carpeting's ascendancy. It lingered into the '80s, I think, but I would be astonished to find it in a house built in this century.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Nov 2019, 22:34

You never go full Jadagul, hugh. Learn from history.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Nov 2019, 02:50

Go full Jadagul, Hugh.

Let your hate flow free.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Nov 2019, 08:32

Why are you trying to burn down this thread, Lunch? History will judge you.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Nov 2019, 09:08

My current master bath has double doors to the bathroom, a toilet that's in a cubby but doesn't have its own door, and the walk in closet on the other side of the bath. It isn't my favorite layout. For one I'd like there to be a door on the toilet area I think, though it would be hard because of the way the walls fit together. For another, there's an under appreciated set of benefits to having the bed or sitting area in a master suite out of the line of sight with the bathroom. The way ours works, you don't really feel all that private in the bathroom because the double doors are right in line with the bed line of sight. I'm slowly adjusting to the closet being on the other side of the bathroom from the bed room.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Nov 2019, 10:41

I don't understand this desire for privacy within one's own home.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Nov 2019, 11:30

One of the most glorious parts of living alone is never ever having to close the bathroom door.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Nov 2019, 11:43

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 11:30
One of the most glorious parts of living alone is never ever having to close the bathroom door.
amen
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Nov 2019, 13:32

JasonL wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 09:08
My current master bath has double doors to the bathroom, a toilet that's in a cubby but doesn't have its own door, and the walk in closet on the other side of the bath. It isn't my favorite layout. For one I'd like there to be a door on the toilet area I think, though it would be hard because of the way the walls fit together. For another, there's an under appreciated set of benefits to having the bed or sitting area in a master suite out of the line of sight with the bathroom. The way ours works, you don't really feel all that private in the bathroom because the double doors are right in line with the bed line of sight. I'm slowly adjusting to the closet being on the other side of the bathroom from the bed room.
But, regarding the specific "running water" parts -- namely toilet, sink and tub/shower -- do they have a closable door SOMEWHERE between them and the bedroom? Same question for the parts that are lit -- can you turn on the lights to wash your hands or whatever WITHOUT the light shining through an open space and possibly waking your wife when she's in bed?

I have, come to think of it, seen layouts similar to what Mo mentioned -- the toilet and shower have a door separating them from the master bedroom, but the sinks are in a sort of "hallway" between the bedroom and bathroom -- still no good, because the sinks are essentially IN THE BEDROOM, so you can't use them without waking up any sleepers in the bedroom.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Nov 2019, 15:28

Warren wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 11:43
Hugh Akston wrote:
amen
Except when you have guests over and forget. :oops:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Nov 2019, 15:39

Aresen wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 15:28
Warren wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 11:43
Hugh Akston wrote:
amen
Except when you have guests over and forget. :oops:
They're guests in my home. I am a gracious and accommodating host, but there are limits.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Nov 2019, 16:27

I'm a believer in all standing behavior being nigh public acceptable in one's own home, but all sitting behavior should be segregated as a courtesy.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Nov 2019, 02:07

Pham Nuwen wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 08:32
Why are you trying to burn down this thread, Lunch? History will judge you.
I'm not tryna burn nothin. Just wanna watch Hugh light the fires.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Dec 2019, 17:16

I just want to confirm without clicking through that these objects are what they appear to be and that Nordstrom is selling them.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 3.12.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 3.12.09 PM.png (80.78 KiB) Viewed 186 times

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Dec 2019, 18:02

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:16
I just want to confirm without clicking through that these objects are what they appear to be and that Nordstrom is selling them.
Does the lower right item come in brunette?

Jake

Post by Jake » 04 Dec 2019, 19:01

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 18:02
Hugh Akston wrote:
Psst... left! I hope!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Dec 2019, 20:20

Jake wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 19:01
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 18:02
Hugh Akston wrote:
Psst... left! I hope!
Stage right.

(Yeah, okay, I goofed.)