Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

thoreau

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by thoreau » 09 May 2019, 22:03

Certainly corporate America has been known to engage in plenty of "Support The Troops!" virtue signaling. There must be environments where dissing them would go over poorly.

I don't see why it has to be all one or all the other. I personally suspect that in smaller organizations, or certain units of larger organizations, the prejudices of the boss and/or local culture will rule the day. At the same time, it does seem that the risk aversion of larger organizations inclines them in socially liberal directions. This isn't solely an observation of conservatives. I've seen lefties observe that corporate virtue signaling is a way for neoliberal corporations to undermine worker solidarity.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 May 2019, 22:46

Some Google employees freaked out over a very innocuous military contract, none of them faced sanction, and even got their way, but when some guy in an internal discussion group gives a wrongthink response to their diversity program he's fired.

Everywhere I have worked would have similar results in that kind of case. Barring someone burning an American flag outside the main office you can get away with all kinds of lefty speak without incurring any real consequences.

Sure there are conservative values oriented companies out there too but there is a much smaller ratio of them compared to companies that will send you packing for expressing right wing wrongthink. I'd be more comfortable trying to explain how great Juggalo values are in a company setting than speaking positively about conservative ones.

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 May 2019, 22:56

JasonL wrote:
09 May 2019, 18:34
Uh, sure. Get back to me when there are mandatory respect the troops trainings at every company in america. Go to any HR department anywhere in america and say one thing each from each list and you let me know which one gets you fired. How hard is it to get deleted from platforms for comments from each camp. I think this is an absurd take tbh. This isn't a contest for who says the most extreme things, it's very specifically a comment about whose views are primarily, fundamentally about defining words as weapons, claiming threats and harm, and using those constructs to shut down dissent.
Meanwhile an officer in the Coast Guard can hatch a no-shit assassination plot for the sake of furthering white nationalism, and not get charged with terrorism. But hey, Black Lives Matter can...get someone fired. You think the equivalency is absurd; I think your reduction of this to corporate America and the prospect of being kicked out of middle-class respectability more broadly is absurd, and causes you to soft-peddle the silencing of anyone who is outside of it. Plus, your focus on protesters is letting the real source of your concerns off the hook. Instead of freaking out over loudmouths on the internet, you could demand some accountability from the corporations that are feeding people to them. Unless you think the loudmouths own stock and that's why the companies are giving in?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2019, 00:29

You think it’s loudmouths. I think it’s most people left of center in 2019. So yes being Rape Co or White Supremacy Inc will have legs among large swaths of moronic lefties. Best not to fight them. It’s a shitty tactic though.

The coordinated institutional nature of it is the thing. That and the hundred mile wide set of topics about which there is wrong think.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 May 2019, 04:41

Painboy wrote:Some Google employees freaked out over a very innocuous military contract, none of them faced sanction, and even got their way, but when some guy in an internal discussion group gives a wrongthink response to their diversity program he's fired.

Everywhere I have worked would have similar results in that kind of case. Barring someone burning an American flag outside the main office you can get away with all kinds of lefty speak without incurring any real consequences.

Sure there are conservative values oriented companies out there too but there is a much smaller ratio of them compared to companies that will send you packing for expressing right wing wrongthink. I'd be more comfortable trying to explain how great Juggalo values are in a company setting than speaking positively about conservative ones.
At the Bay Area company whose motto is "Don't Be Evil". Wokemon Enterprises and Social Justice Underarmor would be more unrepresentative samples, I suppose.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 May 2019, 10:33

Painboy wrote:
09 May 2019, 22:46
Some Google employees freaked out over a very innocuous military contract
Was that before or after they freaked over two very nocuous military contracts?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 May 2019, 12:04

Speaking of Google, conservatives have been bitching and moaning about fucking Google doodles for well over a decade (including making up fake ones). I wish there was a John Brown doodle yesterday to see what sort of vapors that would have elicited.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 May 2019, 16:16

Protip for parents in Anglophone countries that don't practice the hard R: choose baby names carefully to avoid confusing Yanks who are, after all, prone to invading other countries without provocation. Don't let what happened to Pull? Pull? Pull? oh Pearl! happen to your child.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 23 May 2019, 12:52

On a related note, if you are a big international company, you should probably know better than to have two products whose names differ only by one letter, an R or an L. Yes, it's a stereotype, but it's also true.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2019, 16:24

JD wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:52
On a related note, if you are a big international company, you should probably know better than to have two products whose names differ only by one letter, an R or an L. Yes, it's a stereotype, but it's also true.
That's lacist.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

JD

Post by JD » 21 Jun 2019, 10:22

So am I the only person who doesn't quite see what the big deal is in this story? Protestors attempt to disrupt an event, and one of them gets frogmarched out by a minister. Everybody's going, "Ooh, he overreacted!" but if the cops or other security had been handling it, they probably would have done exactly the same thing.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2019, 11:04

JD wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 10:22
So am I the only person who doesn't quite see what the big deal is in this story? Protestors attempt to disrupt an event, and one of them gets frogmarched out by a minister. Everybody's going, "Ooh, he overreacted!" but if the cops or other security had been handling it, they probably would have done exactly the same thing.
I despise Greenpeace so much. I hate when they can make hay out of getting treated exactly how they deserve.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2019, 12:10

+1 Their approach is to be forcibly removed from places, often private property then act like it's the death march or something. GTFO. I'm resolved to laugh in the faces of any one of them I ever encounter being handled in that situation.

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Jun 2019, 14:58

JD wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 10:22
By the neck?

I'm pretty sure the reason we have police and security is so that we don't have pissed off randos doing this. I'm not sure we want to be encouraging people to break that precedent. Unless a return of street riots sounds like your idea of a good time.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2019, 16:12

Shem wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 14:58
By the neck?
If she gets them on a good day.
Shem wrote:
I'm pretty sure the reason we have police and security is so that we don't have pissed off randos doing this. I'm not sure we want to be encouraging people to break that precedent.
Telling Ms Protester that she got what was coming to her is mere tacitly encouraging citizen's arrests at worst.
Shem wrote:
Unless a return of street riots sounds like your idea of a good time.
Breath Shem. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Count to ten.
It's alright. You just got a little excited is all. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Jun 2019, 16:55

British police probably would have been less rough. They care a bit more about appropriate use of force than our cops do. Even the Met, which has probably the worst reputation for police agencies in the country, probably would have had two guys come up, ask her to come with them, and walk her out with minimal contact.

(Hell, they're known to walk arrestees to the police station without cuffs if they're not physically resisting.)

Also, I don't believe for a second that he thought she was armed.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jun 2019, 17:56

All of my interactions and observations of the Met have been much better than any police force in the US. And when dealing with crazy, drunk, belligerent folks, they show far more restraint than I’ve ever seen. Definitely something favorable to be said about disarming the police.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Jun 2019, 20:38

Mo wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 17:56
All of my interactions and observations of the Met have been much better than any police force in the US. And when dealing with crazy, drunk, belligerent folks, they show far more restraint than I’ve ever seen. Definitely something favorable to be said about disarming the police.
Also just not having a bullshit quasi-military culture around policing. Guys actually walking around and talking to people rather than "patrolling their sector".

Take all the shit we hear about police mistreating or shooting mentally ill people, and then consider that in the UK, a survey of mentally ill people who've had a crisis say they got more compassionate treatment from the police than their case workers.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 Jun 2019, 08:14

Andrew Yang supporters may be the least annoying/most wholesome of all the dem presidential candidates. What's up with that?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jun 2019, 09:22

There's only about fifty of them so that helps.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 Jun 2019, 09:25

That would explain the politeness.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 18:56

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 20:38
Mo wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 17:56
Also just not having a bullshit quasi-military culture around policing. Guys actually walking around and talking to people rather than "patrolling their sector".

Take all the shit we hear about police mistreating or shooting mentally ill people, and then consider that in the UK, a survey of mentally ill people who've had a crisis say they got more compassionate treatment from the police than their case workers.
Yeah, I mean, the police in the UK, rightfully get made fun of for their strict knife policies and their anti-free speech stuff, but I would say net-net, I'd trade them for any police force in the US. Especially because for all the supposed protections Americans have from wrongful arrests and the like, the courts are so deferential to the police that those protections are pretty functionally useless to the populous.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 18:57

dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 09:22
There's only about fifty of them so that helps.
I have not dealt with Marianne Williamson fans online, but I imagine both of them are giant pieces of shit.

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Jun 2019, 20:04

I have. As for their personality, well, put it this way, if I needed to secretly off JasonL, I'd grate one of them up and put them in his sous vide. The resulting allergic reaction would prove the perfect means of murder.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2019, 20:43

note to self: Don't allow Shem into kitchen.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT