Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Aresen

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 03 Dec 2018, 14:00

Andrew wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 11:12
Is there a more successful snake oil out there than emergen-c? $10 for thirty packets of vitamin c and sugar. That has to be killer profit margin.
Shit. I can get 500 five-hundred milligram vitamin C pills and five kilos of sugar for that at the Great Satan Store Walmart.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 03 Dec 2018, 16:43

Aresen wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 14:00
Andrew wrote:
Is there a more successful snake oil out there than emergen-c? $10 for thirty packets of vitamin c and sugar. That has to be killer profit margin.
Shit. I can get 500 five-hundred milligram vitamin C pills and five kilos of sugar for that at the Great Satan Store Walmart.
I noticed that at Rite-Aid they were selling a bottle of activated charcoal pills for something like $20. I pointed out to my wife that I could take her to the fish section at the local pet store and get that much activated charcoal for $5 or less.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Dec 2018, 19:31

JD wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 16:43
Aresen wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 14:00
Andrew wrote:
I noticed that at Rite-Aid they were selling a bottle of activated charcoal pills for something like $20. I pointed out to my wife that I could take her to the fish section at the local pet store and get that much activated charcoal for $5 or less.
And pick up some antibiotics while you're there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Dec 2018, 17:34

I suspect the pet store doesn’t have food grade activated charcoal. Of course you can get a tub of it on amazon for dirt cheap.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Dec 2018, 19:31

Mo wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 17:34
I suspect the pet store doesn’t have food grade activated charcoal. Of course you can get a tub of it on amazon for dirt cheap.
For something like activated charcoal, I'd take my chances on aquarium grade.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Dec 2018, 12:59

Mo wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 17:34
No one in 'merica has "food grade" activated carbon/charcoal. It is not an approved food additive.

What you'll find is pharma-grade activated charcoal for use in/as dietary supplements.

Different regulatory schemes.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Dec 2018, 10:04

I'm always kind of amazed at how quiet EPL stadiums can get for their minutes of silence, and for a whole minute. Every time I see USians try it at a sporting event, they get about 25 seconds of moving and shuffling sounds and then some dink has to yell something out.

But then there's golf tournaments: I've never experienced in person so many people being so silent as when I went to a golf tournament (PGA US Senior Open was in my town, so we went for a day). It was actually pretty creepy.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Dec 2018, 16:06

The other day I did a minor culling of clothes, discarding a few pieces with small but unfixable (by my standards) flaws such as "The front of this garment has a grease spot the size of a dime" or "there's a tiny hole in one part of the fabric." So I won't donate these items to a thrift store, and I didn't even add them to the ragbag because that's already full; I threw them all away.

Which is NBD for a modern American, especially one who pays thrift-store rather than retail prices for clothes, but for most of humanity's time on earth, throwing away that much usable fabric would've been as extravagantly wasteful as a person nowadays saying "Yeah, I found some gold bullion while cleaning house, and threw it away because I have no room for it." Had I the skills, inclination and time I could've reworked those damaged clothes into a couple complete new outfits for myself, or a patchwork quilt or part of a rag rug or some handkerchiefs or curtains or [insert list of useful textile items here]. But with today's textile technology, there's no point in me investing the HUGE amount of time this would require.

Any given yard of textile today is literal orders of magnitude cheaper than it would've been back when every bit of fabric had to be made my hand -- spinning loose plant or animal fibers into threads, weaving individual threads into cloth -- yet if you compare contemporary western standards of dress with those of past eras, it's strange that back in the day, a given outfit (at least for warm-weather conditions) required far more fabric than a given outfit today. Thinking about what I'd need to make myself a single summer dress in the 19th century -- today that same amount of fabric would make me an entire long-sleeved shirt and long-legged pants combo, with enough cloth left for some smaller items. Or, if I went with short sleeves and short pants or skirts (as I'd often wear before moving to Georgia and hiding from the sun), I could get two or three complete summer outfits from the fabric needed to make ONE pioneer-woman dress. Seems odd, that back when cloth was vastly more expensive for people, "respectability" standards required a person to wear far more cloth at any one time than you must wear today.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Dec 2018, 16:25

Apropos of what you said Jennifer: Who darns their socks any more? My mother used to do it when I was a kid, but I can now go out and buy a dozen pairs of socks for the value of the time it would take to darn one.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Dec 2018, 19:34

I can't think of anyone I ever knew for a fact darned socks. (I'm guessing my grandmothers did, but I don't recall seeing it or hearing them talk about it.) But, even assuming my grandparents were as "wasteful" of socks as I am -- buying new ones rather than repairing old -- I'm sure even they would've been appalled by how much perfectly good fabric I threw away the other day. And that's nothing compared to what someone in the days before before spinning jennies and mechanical looms would've thought.

Yet instead of people today wearing more clothing than folks in the days when it was more expensive, we generally tend to wear less. (A typical modern person owns far more clothing than our ancient counterparts, but tend to wear less of it at any given time.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 27 Dec 2018, 17:34

Aresen wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 16:25
Apropos of what you said Jennifer: Who darns their socks any more? My mother used to do it when I was a kid, but I can now go out and buy a dozen pairs of socks for the value of the time it would take to darn one.
My wife darns the socks she's knit. That's it and only because the time investment in darning is magnitudes less than knitting a new sock. Still more investment than running out to the department store and buying a dozen or two new socks.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Dec 2018, 17:37

The sacrifices of american labor meant nothing if you darn your own socks in 2018.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 27 Dec 2018, 17:40

JasonL wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 17:37
The sacrifices of american labor meant nothing if you darn your own socks in 2018.
Eh, they shoulda had a better union.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Dec 2018, 17:46

I have one pair of socks that I got as a gift and really love, and am considering darning them. But so far I've just been lazy and wearing them holes and all
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Dec 2018, 17:55

Ellie wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 17:46
I have one pair of socks that I got as a gift and really love, and am considering darning them. But so far I've just been lazy and wearing them holes and all
We call those "Sunday socks"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Dec 2018, 17:56

Warren wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 17:55
Ellie wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 17:46
We call those "Sunday socks"
In our family, it's 'religious socks'.

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Jan 2019, 08:34

it is a testament to the speed of news that one of the big post trump election stories were the robocall threats to jewish centers, followed up by the revelation it was a teenager in israel doing it...and that no one remembers this. in any other context that's the weirdest shit that's ever happened. it's like in the lower 90s at this point.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Feb 2019, 16:20

Related to this from a couple months back:
Jennifer wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 16:06
The other day I did a minor culling of clothes, discarding a few pieces with small but unfixable (by my standards) flaws such as "The front of this garment has a grease spot the size of a dime" or "there's a tiny hole in one part of the fabric." So I won't donate these items to a thrift store, and I didn't even add them to the ragbag because that's already full; I threw them all away.

Which is NBD for a modern American, especially one who pays thrift-store rather than retail prices for clothes, but for most of humanity's time on earth, throwing away that much usable fabric would've been as extravagantly wasteful as a person nowadays saying "Yeah, I found some gold bullion while cleaning house, and threw it away because I have no room for it." Had I the skills, inclination and time I could've reworked those damaged clothes into a couple complete new outfits for myself, or a patchwork quilt or part of a rag rug or some handkerchiefs or curtains or [insert list of useful textile items here]. But with today's textile technology, there's no point in me investing the HUGE amount of time this would require.

Any given yard of textile today is literal orders of magnitude cheaper than it would've been back when every bit of fabric had to be made my hand -- spinning loose plant or animal fibers into threads, weaving individual threads into cloth -- yet if you compare contemporary western standards of dress with those of past eras, it's strange that back in the day, a given outfit (at least for warm-weather conditions) required far more fabric than a given outfit today. Thinking about what I'd need to make myself a single summer dress in the 19th century -- today that same amount of fabric would make me an entire long-sleeved shirt and long-legged pants combo, with enough cloth left for some smaller items. Or, if I went with short sleeves and short pants or skirts (as I'd often wear before moving to Georgia and hiding from the sun), I could get two or three complete summer outfits from the fabric needed to make ONE pioneer-woman dress. Seems odd, that back when cloth was vastly more expensive for people, "respectability" standards required a person to wear far more cloth at any one time than you must wear today.
Semi-related: an interesting blog post (found via metafilter) detailing how and why Americans fr the most part stopped mending clothes and ven forgot how.

https://dieworkwear.com/post/1821260404 ... ty-to-mend

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Feb 2019, 16:35

Jennifer wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:20
Semi-related: an interesting blog post (found via metafilter) detailing how and why Americans fr the most part stopped mending clothes and ven forgot how.

https://dieworkwear.com/post/1821260404 ... ty-to-mend
The key point is almost buried:
When a shirt can be as cheap as $10, who has the time or inclination to send the item out to a professional or repair it themselves?
45 years ago, $10 was a day's pay for many people. Now, it isn't even an hour's pay for most. If a repair takes more than an hour, it literally isn't worth the time.

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Feb 2019, 16:40

Some good mending content for you.

Also
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 20 Feb 2019, 11:48

A side effect of this is that many things are designed to be made but not to be repaired or altered. For example, clothing is made without any seam allowance, so you can't let it out.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Feb 2019, 11:55

JD wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 11:48
A side effect of this is that many things are designed to be made but not to be repaired or altered. For example, clothing is made without any seam allowance, so you can't let it out.
Not sure if that is a design intent or more an outcome of computerized cutting to minimize the amount of material used in production.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 20 Feb 2019, 12:28

JD wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 11:48
Design for manufacture (DFM) is a scourge upon the earth. It is a good, but not the highest or only good.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 20 Feb 2019, 13:18

In doing a little genealogical research, I discovered that one of my ancestors (a great-great-great-uncle, I think), was a state senator in Kentucky. I'm sorry that my family name has thus been stained by association with politics.

In other notes, it is harder to do genealogical research when your family owned the local funeral parlor, because your name is in everyone's obituary.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Feb 2019, 13:54

Whew. Worst I've got in my known family threads is a preacher.

The clipper ship captain is pretty good, and the guy who got stuck in the stockade for failure to report on time when drafted into the confederate army (and the grandma who snuck him fried chicken through gaps in the wooden back wall of the stockade) both showed appropriate contempt for that particular bit of government overreach.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR