Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Jasper

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Jasper » 15 Oct 2018, 08:52

Molon Labatt?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Oct 2018, 10:17

golf clap for you sir
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Oct 2018, 12:42

Did you mention all the slavery and gay buttsecks?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Oct 2018, 13:13

Jasper wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 08:52
Molon Labatt?
Ha!

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Oct 2018, 14:58

Pham Nuwen wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:42
I kinda want to but asking someone hey what about the pederastic slave state stuff when they're a gun nerd is not like hassling the dork in the che shirt. Those guys are pussies, the moron lab folk are probably both armed and not into fun.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Oct 2018, 15:40

Along with the official Sears bankruptcy announcement today they announced that they would close another 142 Sears and KMart locations before the end of the year.
The one in my town will NOT be on that list and I am flummoxed by this.
This Google maps image shows the problem clear as day. This was taken on a busy day*. All of the vehicles to the right of the front entrance are employees and the auto service department (tire changeover season) so I'll exclude them as "active customers". By all rights then there fewer than 30 cars belonging to customers.

Contrast to the WalMart directly across the highway which does not have any auto services.

How bad does a Sears store have to do in order to merit getting the ax?

* I have seen this parking lot at 2pm on a Saturday with two(2) cars that were obviously not employees.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Oct 2018, 15:47

Kwix wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 15:40
Along with the official Sears bankruptcy announcement today they announced that they would close another 142 Sears and KMart locations before the end of the year.
This Google maps image shows the problem clear as day. This was taken on a busy day*. All of the vehicles to the right of the front entrance are employees and the auto service department (tire changeover season) so I'll exclude them as "active customers". By all rights then there fewer than 30 cars belonging to customers.

Contrast to the WalMart directly across the highway which does not have any auto services.

* I have seen this parking lot at 2pm on a Saturday with two(2) cars that were obviously not employees.
Don't you guys still have the Blockbusters?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Oct 2018, 15:48

Kwix wrote:

Offhand, I'd also say Taco Cancun (lower right) also has Sears beat.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Oct 2018, 15:56

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 15:47
Don't you guys still have the Blockbusters?
No. :( *
The last two closed earlier this year. The last one open in the country is in Bend, OR for some reason.

*Not that I, nor anyone I know still went there. It was just fun bragging rights plus Russell Crowe's underoos
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Oct 2018, 16:34

dhex wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 14:58
Pham Nuwen wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:42
I kinda want to but asking someone hey what about the pederastic slave state stuff when they're a gun nerd is not like hassling the dork in the che shirt. Those guys are pussies, the moron lab folk are probably both armed and not into fun.
Fair enough. I would assume that an insecure armed person is inherently more likely to brandish a weapon.

Also. Hospital I work at gets like 5 or 6 gunshot wound cases every week. It's almost always an accidental discharge.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Oct 2018, 23:02

Kwix wrote:

Right offhand and based on how Eddie Lampert has self-dealt all the profitable pieces of Sears off into his own pocket one way or the other over the past 10+ years I'd suspect it's because Sears either doesn't own the land or it's not very valuable. Otherwise he'd turn it over to his hedge fund in the name of "loan payments."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Oct 2018, 04:17

Shem wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 23:02
Kwix wrote:

Right offhand and based on how Eddie Lampert has self-dealt all the profitable pieces of Sears off into his own pocket one way or the other over the past 10+ years I'd suspect it's because Sears either doesn't own the land or it's not very valuable. Otherwise he'd turn it over to his hedge fund in the name of "loan payments."
FWIW, every Sears store I personally can recall seeing has been in a shopping mall. They definitely didn't own that land.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Oct 2018, 09:17

Markets, creative destruction, yadda yadda and all that, I'm kinda saddened by the collapse of Sears.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Oct 2018, 09:37

Jasper wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:17
Markets, creative destruction, yadda yadda and all that, I'm kinda saddened by the collapse of Sears.
Thing is, Sears collapsed twenty years ago. It's been on life support. And now they're pulling the plug.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Oct 2018, 09:53

Warren wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:37
Jasper wrote:
Thing is, Sears collapsed twenty years ago. It's been on life support. And now they're pulling the plug.
Well, yeah. Still nostalgia-sad.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Oct 2018, 10:01

Jasper wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:53
Warren wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I got the sads back when Kmart put in fast food chains in place of their independently run diners. Open faced roast beef sandwiches were a welcome boyhood respite from chasing down blue light specials with mom.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Oct 2018, 10:06

Warren wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 10:01
Jasper wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:53
Warren wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I got the sads back when Kmart put in fast food chains in place of their independently run diners. Open faced roast beef sandwiches were a welcome boyhood respite from chasing down blue light specials with mom.
:)

The Kmart we had didn't have a diner section, it was more of a snack bar serving burgers and hot dogs and popcorn.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Oct 2018, 10:27

Sears shut down the catalog the year Amazon launched. Sears was Amazon a century ago.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Oct 2018, 10:39

Kmart has been nothing but terrible for as long as I can remembe. Its continued existence baffled me once Walmart, even the bad wal marts, came about. Sears has coasted on being the easiest local option for appliances and appliance parts until they finally died.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Oct 2018, 10:49

JasonL wrote:Kmart has been nothing but terrible for as long as I can remembe. Its continued existence baffled me once Walmart, even the bad wal marts, came about.
Santa Barbara has a Kmart instead of a Target for God only knows what reason. When I was in grad school I went there because it was near the student neighborhood, and no matter which line I chose it would be the longest one. I could get in line behind the guy who just needs to ring up a little pack of batteries, while the next line has three people with full carts, and either the guy in front of me would try to use a coupon, have a problem with his credit card, demand a price check, or turn out to be crazy, or the cashier would be a n00b trainee who can't figure out how to work the register, or she would be crazy, or something. But I NEVER got the fast lane. Ever.

Meanwhile, the next lane would process three full carts in record time, then go on lunch break before I could switch lines.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Oct 2018, 10:57

The Kmart Cafe has it's own reddit. The picture posted is 80's vintage. The opening comments describe the 70's version I recall:
This is going way back, but our Kmart had a straight up diner inside. It was towards the back, center. Surrounded by frosted glass, and half walls. The booths were blue naugahyde, and there were hideous blue and gold tiffany style lamps (I say hideous, but I would pay a damn fortune for one of those tacky things now). The menu was diner stuff, blue plate specials. I have early childhood memories of going there with my grandmother and splitting a tuna melt and an apple dumpling for dessert. Good times. Weird place.
Ours was dimly lit with lots of dark walnut and amber glass, which felt completely out of place in a department store. It was in an alcove right next to the sporting goods wall-o-guns. I'm like 98% sure smoking was allowed, too. I definitely miss the weirdness of 1980s Kmart.
And this was my experience:
OMG! I just mentioned this to my husband today!!! He didn't know that some Kmart's had actual diners. I LOVED going to the diner w/ my mom after a long day of Christmas or back-to-school shopping. Their open-faced hot turkey sandwich w/ mashed potatoes was THE BEST I ever had! Man, do I miss it! I told my husband about it and that he will never know the goodness of hot turkey and mashed taters w/ shopping bags stuffed around you in a naugahyde booth. Memories.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2018, 18:10

As it dies, someone suggests we remember Sears for offering poor blacks a mail-order outlet that treated them like equals back in the days of Jim Crow.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Oct 2018, 04:44

Some dude got 130 guns and ambushed a bunch of cops coming to arrest his son for pedo stuff, killing one. Yet for some reason it's not national media. I wonder why? *thinking emoji*

https://apnews.com/81f4ff57a1f04777aff89b32f067dc12
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Oct 2018, 17:58

Mo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 04:44
Some dude got 130 guns and ambushed a bunch of cops coming to arrest his son for pedo stuff, killing one. Yet for some reason it's not national media. I wonder why? *thinking emoji*

https://apnews.com/81f4ff57a1f04777aff89b32f067dc12
What does "it's not national media" mean? The NYT has a story on it, CNN has stories on it (and has had them for up to 12 days, because they actually covered it shortly after it happened, instead of waiting for this AP story).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem