Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Kwix

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Kwix » 11 Mar 2018, 15:45

Jennifer wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 14:45
Kwix wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 22:16
Our bathroom is still out of order so we went to the washateria for a shower.
Huh. I'm used to "washateria" meaning the same thing as "laundromat": a place where you could pay to use clothes-washing machines. But the only "pay to use a shower" businesses I've seen (outside of campgrounds and the like) were at privately owned highway truck stops. I never knew it was an actual business catering to non-truckers, too. Is that an Alaska thing, perhaps?
Yes? So it appears that "washateria" is/was a chain of laundromats originating in Texas. Here they refer to laundromats that also have showers and function as a public water source. That jives with the etymology given that many of our oil service workers, and hence infrastructure, originate from the Houston/New Orleans area. In most native villages they are owned/run by the village themselves at no cost to the residents. That leads to the usual public commons issues.

EDIT: I should probably add that the area I live in is relatively rural and there is a large proportion of what we term "dry cabins" that are just that, a cabin that has no running water and likely no electricity. On the other hand, $300 a month is dirt cheap rent.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Mar 2018, 16:04

Kwix wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 15:45
Jennifer wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Huh. I'm used to "washateria" meaning the same thing as "laundromat": a place where you could pay to use clothes-washing machines. But the only "pay to use a shower" businesses I've seen (outside of campgrounds and the like) were at privately owned highway truck stops. I never knew it was an actual business catering to non-truckers, too. Is that an Alaska thing, perhaps?
Yes? So it appears that "washateria" is/was a chain of laundromats originating in Texas. Here they refer to laundromats that also have showers and function as a public water source. That jives with the etymology given that many of our oil service workers, and hence infrastructure, originate from the Houston/New Orleans area. In most native villages they are owned/run by the village themselves at no cost to the residents. That leads to the usual public commons issues.

EDIT: I should probably add that the area I live in is relatively rural and there is a large proportion of what we term "dry cabins" that are just that, a cabin that has no running water and likely no electricity. On the other hand, $300 a month is dirt cheap rent.
Interesting!

Now that I think more about it, I'm pretty sure I only came across "washateria" (meaning laundromat) in books somewhere, and always in such contexts as "She took her dirty laundry to the washateria."

Maybe I'm thinking of Stephen King's IT -- the scene where the kids clean the blood from Beverly's bathroom and then wash the bloodstains out of the cleaning rags -- I don't remember now if they went to the "laundromat" or the "washateria."
Last edited by Jennifer on 11 Mar 2018, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Mar 2018, 16:09

Kwix wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 15:45
Jennifer wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Shit, I used to pay $450/mo for a place with a full bath, washer/dryer, and access to two different pools and IIRC a hot tub. Had to walk the trash over to the dumpsters, and I found out to my chagrin that German cockroaches are a lot harder to control that wood roaches, but it was actually better than a lot of other options around. I even had assigned, covered parking (this being Texas, that's worth a lot even before you factor in the insanely frequent hailstorms).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Mar 2018, 18:33

Apropos of the Manjoo story, I came across this older article about a guy who gave up the Internet for a year. The punchline? After the initial euphoria of a life change and getting so much done when he was bored...He was still an introverted and/or socially anxious guy who didn't get out of his apartment much. He just had fewer connections to people than before.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Mar 2018, 17:24

"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Mar 2018, 20:15

The current Taoiseach (prime minister) of Ireland is a neoliberal gay Indian who's still almost a year away from turning 40 years old.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Mar 2018, 20:52

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 21:23

Thumbs up

JasonL

Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 22:07

So I have these friends from the local bar. Late 20s emo type people back in the day, he had cancer in his early 20s, they got married and she got sick with crohns plus other things. Ive been kinda pulling for them - he became a nurse, they struggled with their house payment and moved to a smaller house and their pets died and so on... a struggle of young couple.

So, they decided through a series of events to do open relationship. Went sideways - pretty sure I saw the seeds of divorce in real time.

I’m sad.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2018, 22:56

dude
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 16 Mar 2018, 12:04

Miami pedestrian bridge collapses on roadway, killing people. Who wants to bet that within 30 seconds somebody was blaming "capitalism" or "profit" somewhere on social media?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Mar 2018, 12:18

It's an assault bridge with a high-capacity mezzanine on the walk-up.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2018, 12:46

The damned thing was just built. Heads are going to roll.
It looks like it wasn't put together properly.
The $14.2 million FIU bridge was designed under a process called “accelerated bridge construction” that allowed for larger sections to be built and then lifted into place.
Innocent til proven guilty and all, but it looks like some engineer signed off on that. A civil engineer would be my guess.
WTF Highway? What kind of librul artz dropouts are you handing engineering degrees to in your department?
Last edited by Warren on 16 Mar 2018, 12:54, edited 2 times in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Mar 2018, 12:50

Warren wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:46
The damned thing was just built. Heads are going to roll.
It looks like it wasn't put together properly.
The $14.2 million FIU bridge was design ... nto place.
Innocent til proven guilty and all, but it looks like some engineer signed off on that. A civil engineer would be my guess.
WTF highway? What kind of librul artz dropouts are you handing engineering degrees to in your department?
A clear failure of engineering leads to a gratuitous anti-liberal-arts sneer. Stay predictable, Warren!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Mar 2018, 12:55

I trust Warren's expertise on what it takes to succeed as an engineer.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Mar 2018, 12:57

According to this article from my old stomping grounds in southeastern Virginia, this is NOT the first such failure from the engineering firm.

http://wtkr.com/2018/03/15/local-bridge ... ida-bridge
The pedestrian bridge that collapsed at Florida International University in Miami Thursday was designed by the same engineers that worked on a local bridge that collapsed during construction.

Figg Bridge Engineers submitted plans for a new, privately-funded South Norfolk Jordan Bridge that were approved on January 27, 2009.

Construction on the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge was put on hold after a truss used to build the bridge shifted, which sent a 10-foot, 90-ton piece of concreted crashing down to the railroad tracks below in June 2012. Four workers were injured in the incident.

The new bridge finally opened to traffic in late October 2012.

The original Jordan Bridge was located at Poindexter Street in South Norfolk and crossed the Southern branch of the Elizabeth River. It opened on August 24, 1928 as a toll bridge and cost $1.25 million.

“Our deepest sympathies are with those affected by this accident,” FIGG Bridge Engineers, the company hired to design the bridge, wrote in a statement to CBS News. “We will fully cooperate with every appropriate authority in reviewing what happened and why. In our 40-year history, nothing like this has ever happened before. Our entire team mourns the loss of life and injuries associated with this devastating tragedy, and our prayers go out to all involved.”

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Mar 2018, 13:11

It's a perfectly acceptable form of bridge construction and is used all over the world without incident. It's too early to tell whether the fault was with the engineer or the constructor, especially when all we've got is eyewitness reports and breathless news stories, but there are definitely going to be a lot of lawsuits.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2018, 16:02

Highway wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 13:11
It's a perfectly acceptable form of bridge construction and is used all over the world without incident. It's too early to tell whether the fault was with the engineer or the constructor, especially when all we've got is eyewitness reports and breathless news stories, but there are definitely going to be a lot of lawsuits.
Good to know. If this is a proven technique, I'm going with my first guess: Organized crime skimmed the job.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Mar 2018, 17:02

youtube comments are generally garbage, but when you see two subcultures collide it's pretty great (can's future days album was pinged by some rolling stone list and the prog douches came out in force to be prog douches about purity and the canboys (can fanboys get it) got predictably offended by the predictably douchey prog douches.

i genuinely enjoyed reading some of that. strife is fun when you don't care.

oh shit no wonder trump will live to be 90
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Mar 2018, 17:54

Warren wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 16:02
Highway wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 13:11
Good to know. If this is a proven technique, I'm going with my first guess: Organized crime skimmed the job.
I really don't think it's this. I'm going to go with it being a miscalculation on the strength of the span that let them think they could put the spans up before they had the central tower to tie the cables to. Having looked into it more, it's supposed to have been a cable-stayed bridge, and they put the spans up before the tower was even constructed. I don't know why you'd sequence it that way, but someone thought it would work. I mean, if I were doing it, I'd have at least put up the central tower, hung a cable or two over it, and THEN put up the spans and tied the cables into them as quickly as possible. At least to get some of the support there. But then again, I'm not a structural engineer. And we don't know which part failed yet, although the security footage that I've seen doesn't look good, as it seems to have collapsed mid-span. That will be worse for the constructor and the engineer, cause now it'll get to questions about "Was the design correct?" and "Was it constructed to plan and spec?" If it had been something like it slipped off the abutment seat, that's getting into a lot of different questions about fault.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Mar 2018, 17:54

Weird. As a prog douche, I am unfazed by Can.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Mar 2018, 18:01

Sandy wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 17:54
Yeah they're okay.

But fuck Steve Hillage, man. Fuck that guy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Mar 2018, 18:08

Sandy wrote:
As a verified fogey, I have no idea what you are talking about. :?:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Mar 2018, 20:17

Sandy wrote:
yeah, i get that reaction. the ragey "this was in the wrong bin" reaction is genuinely entertaining when the stakes are low.

less so with the flat earth people who hit my poe law detector so hard i still feel shook. (i presume you guys know that flat earthers are apparently a thing, at least in extremely online land?)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Mar 2018, 22:57

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 18:01
Sandy wrote:
Yeah they're okay.

But fuck Steve Hillage, man. Fuck that guy.
Any particular reason, or just because he's a prog douche? Mind you, that's a good enough reason.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch