Idiocracy is here

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1546
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 15:55

Mo wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:53
nicole wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:40
Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:33
Jennifer wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 04:24
Yikes! I just saw the Trumpy Bear commercial on actual TV! AHC -- the so-called "American Heroes Channel" -- airing a documentary on "Hitler the Actor: Part 2." That great American hero, Hitler.
See, I think your lack of exposure to the greatness that is Trumpy Bear is simply a self selecting bias against the channels it has been heavily advertised on. If you think of a show that an old, white retiree would watch and flip to that channel you'll see a Trumpy Bear commercial within an hour; guaranteed. I'm talking "Justice Central", "Game Show Network", non-prime time "History Channel" and probably "The Weather Channel" though I have no empirical evidence of the last one.

My wife watches "Justice Central" for some inexplicable reason and I've been seeing this commercial for months. Also popular on that channel are commercials for at home incontinence supply delivery, mesothelioma lawyers and medical alert devices. I don't think it's coincidental.
The only weird thing is that you don't see Trumpy Bear ads on CNN, even though the rest of the ads are for mesobook and catheters.
Unless Trumpy Bear comes with a noose and gasoline to speed up the effigy burning, not that surprising.
Literal LOL.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by nicole » 14 Feb 2018, 16:11

Am I the only one who always wants to hear "mesobook" as "me so horny"?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6258
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Andrew » 14 Feb 2018, 16:23

nicole wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:11
Am I the only one who always wants to hear "mesobook" as "me so horny"?
You are not.

Also, I do my best to avoid television, but even in my brief exposures when I'm somewhere and the TV is on, I almost always see a mesothelioma commercial. I don't understand how that's still such a personal injury moneymaker to the degree that it is. I would think that disability law would be the way to go, and those commercials are much rarer.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26498
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by thoreau » 14 Feb 2018, 16:48

Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:33
Jennifer wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 04:24
Yikes! I just saw the Trumpy Bear commercial on actual TV! AHC -- the so-called "American Heroes Channel" -- airing a documentary on "Hitler the Actor: Part 2." That great American hero, Hitler.
See, I think your lack of exposure to the greatness that is Trumpy Bear is simply a self selecting bias against the channels it has been heavily advertised on. If you think of a show that an old, white retiree would watch and flip to that channel you'll see a Trumpy Bear commercial within an hour; guaranteed. I'm talking "Justice Central", "Game Show Network", non-prime time "History Channel" and probably "The Weather Channel" though I have no empirical evidence of the last one.

My wife watches "Justice Central" for some inexplicable reason and I've been seeing this commercial for months. Also popular on that channel are commercials for at home incontinence supply delivery, mesothelioma lawyers and medical alert devices. I don't think it's coincidental.
Wait, you mean that not only are there people who enjoy the product itself (something I can sort of kind of maybe partially comprehend), they actually like that commercial? The one that sounds like something from Idiocracy?

I get how a conservative might like a stuffed animal with a whimsical spin on the President that they (inexplicably) support. But that commercial is an insult to the intelligence. It can only be enjoyed ironically.

The human race is doomed.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1546
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 16:52

By "popular on that channel" I am of course referring to "popular with the advertising agencies deploying them". I can't speak to the emotional investment of the viewers. Not really my place.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26498
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by thoreau » 14 Feb 2018, 16:58

If the commercials weren't effective then the advertisers wouldn't be able to afford to run them.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Feb 2018, 17:11

I really don't understand how advertising works. Everything about car dealership commercials screams DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DEALER / CHANGE THE CHANNEL NOW! to me. But they continue to make stupid, annoying commercials so they must work.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7218
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Shem » 14 Feb 2018, 17:24

thoreau wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:58
If the commercials weren't effective then the advertisers wouldn't be able to afford to run them.
With a $40 price tag on what's probably a $5 bear, you don't need many hits to come out ahead. Especially when you're advertising on what is essentially the Dogpatch Herald of the TV world.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22873
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Jennifer » 14 Feb 2018, 18:06

It is relatively rare for me to see commercials anymore because most TV I watch was DVR'd and I fast-forward through the ads. But last night, that Hitler documentary was on more for background noise than anything else, and since it was NOT prerecorded I could not skim through the ads. Maybe in an alternate reality where I had NOT Been exposed to this Gryll thread, I never would've noticed the Trumpy Bear commercial.

Still, though, I got some chuckles from Sunday's meetup with my imitations of the commercials' big gruff macho gods of masculinity who presumably carry their presidential teddy bears with them in public.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12528
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Feb 2018, 19:47

Shem wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 17:24
thoreau wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:58
If the commercials weren't effective then the advertisers wouldn't be able to afford to run them.
With a $40 price tag on what's probably a $5 bear, you don't need many hits to come out ahead. Especially when you're advertising on what is essentially the Dogpatch Herald of the TV world.
After all, that's a low-rent commercial. There are people who've filmed commercials that start with "Has this ever happened to you..." who are tsking about the lack of production values.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1546
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 19:52

pistoffnick wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 17:11
I really don't understand how advertising works. Everything about car dealership commercials screams DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DEALER / CHANGE THE CHANNEL NOW! to me. But they continue to make stupid, annoying commercials so they must work.
I concur with this statement. I'm constantly looking for the fine print* in the commercial that will betray it as the fraud it is.

*I'm looking at you, weight loss pill that says "when combined with exercise and a sensible diet."

ETA: fer the grammers.
Last edited by Kwix on 14 Feb 2018, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22873
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Jennifer » 14 Feb 2018, 19:57

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 19:47
Shem wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 17:24
thoreau wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:58
If the commercials weren't effective then the advertisers wouldn't be able to afford to run them.
With a $40 price tag on what's probably a $5 bear, you don't need many hits to come out ahead. Especially when you're advertising on what is essentially the Dogpatch Herald of the TV world.
After all, that's a low-rent commercial. There are people who've filmed commercials that start with "Has this ever happened to you..." who are tsking about the lack of production values.
I dunno, that bit on the golf course looked pretty nice. And the actor was very talented and definitely did an adequate job of portraying the concept "here is a middle-aged white man driving a golf cart with a big toupeed teddy bear on his lap."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 149
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Tuco » 18 Feb 2018, 08:30

Count me in with those who don't understand advertising. Most ads I hear make me less, rather than more, inclined to buy the product advertised, and some I'd never buy even to save my life. Yeah, fuck you Jimmy from Zippah, shove your stupid machine up your ass.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22755
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by JasonL » 18 Feb 2018, 09:32

Oh gawd zippah guy die in a fire dude

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24825
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Warren » 18 Feb 2018, 10:24

Tuco wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 08:30
Count me in with those who don't understand advertising. Most ads I hear make me less, rather than more, inclined to buy the product advertised, and some I'd never buy even to save my life.
Totally agree. I don't understand how people grow up in this country without developing immunity to advertising. Hard sell salesmen (used cars, gym memberships, e.g.) are the worst. I really don't understand how that works on people. Get away from me you oily fuck.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Aresen » 18 Feb 2018, 10:26

Tuco wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 08:30
Count me in with those who don't understand advertising. Most ads I hear make me less, rather than more, inclined to buy the product advertised, and some I'd never buy even to save my life. Yeah, fuck you Jimmy from Zippah, shove your stupid machine up your ass.
The purpose of advertising is to get the product in your mind, so when you think 'I need a car', you think "zoom, zoom", not about utility vs price. This is especially true for products which are not worth taking the time to think the purchase through.

If an advertiser has got the brand name in your mind, he has accomplished his purpose even if the commercial was annoying as hell.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 149
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Tuco » 20 Feb 2018, 06:42

I'm still never buying a Zippah.

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6834
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by fyodor » 25 Feb 2018, 12:30

I just saw the ad in question myself in the past week or so. I think it's probably getting expanding exposure, i.e., showing on more stations than just where the hardcore target audience would be. Actually I might have seen it on a station that shows all westerns (been on a Gunsmoke binge lately, judge not! okay, throw tomatoes), so that's probably not far off the reservation.....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 149
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Tuco » 26 Feb 2018, 06:24

"There's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers. A bad comb=over and the snuggly adorableness of...Trumpybear."

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26498
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2018, 19:38

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 May 2018, 19:45

So, we have to burn it all down, don't we?

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2018, 20:06

thoreau wrote:
30 May 2018, 19:38
Image
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12528
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2018, 20:11

Please. The Addams are a fine, upstanding fictional family.

If there'd been a third movie in the nineties, Donald Trump could have been the antagonist...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests