Idiocracy is here

thoreau

Idiocracy is here

Post by thoreau » 11 Feb 2018, 11:44

Guys, just listen to the voice in this commercial. He could easily be announcing a Rehabilitation! (Brought to you by Carl's Jr.)

"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Shem

Re: Idiocracy is here

Post by Shem » 11 Feb 2018, 12:13

This is new to you? They've been hawking that thing on infomercials for a year now.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Feb 2018, 12:36

Shem wrote:This is new to you? They've been hawking that thing on infomercials for a year now.
I had been blessedly unaware of it. Until today.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Feb 2018, 13:14

My cow-orker has mentioned this ... this ... abomination. I was hoping to never see it in the wild.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Feb 2018, 13:29

Meh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 11 Feb 2018, 13:46

We made a "Good bless America, and God bless Trumpybear" texttone for my sister's phone. Every time my mom hears it, her eye twitches.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Feb 2018, 13:52

Shem wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 13:46
We made a "Good bless America, and God bless Trumpybear" texttone for my sister's phone. Every time my mom hears it, her eye twitches.
Now that's funny
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 11 Feb 2018, 15:10

Wow, I'd managed to miss this. That is some primo cringe right there. Poe's law in action.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Feb 2018, 15:45

I was much happier before I knew about this.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Feb 2018, 19:37

Dubya
Tee
Eff
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Feb 2018, 20:56

For what it's worth, I did win some social points by bringing this up and acting out key parts of the infomercial at tonight's atheists' meetup meeting.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem » 11 Feb 2018, 21:53

I just wish I could go back in time to 2009 and sell Bearrack Obama.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Feb 2018, 22:03

Shem wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 21:53
I just wish I could go back in time to 2009 and sell Bearrack Obama.
It's still got brand recognition. I say go for it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Feb 2018, 04:59

I wonder what the political orientation of the makers is. I could believe they are true believers or cynical manipulators about equally.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 12 Feb 2018, 07:16

Yeah, until the small print at the end, I really didn't know if it was satire or not.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2018, 11:42

Sandy wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 04:59
I wonder what the political orientation of the makers is. I could believe they are true believers or cynical manipulators about equally.
I assume they're Chinese capitalists.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Feb 2018, 11:51

Warren wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 11:42
Sandy wrote:
So it's the fault of Richard Nixon, Deng Xiaoping, and the WTO?
--Fin Fang Foom

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2018, 12:09

thoreau wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 11:51
Warren wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 11:42
Sandy wrote:
So it's the fault of Richard Nixon, Deng Xiaoping, and the WTO?
Yeah. And the libertarians of course.
Mostly the libertarians.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Feb 2018, 12:17

Ah, yes, the libertarians: Pathetic, inconsequential losers who are responsible for every bad thing in politics and public policy, including the rise of the Religious Right and the privacy violations of the NSA.
--Fin Fang Foom

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Feb 2018, 15:16

There's something unnerving about the whole thing.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Feb 2018, 20:44

Sandy wrote:
Back in, like, 2002 or so, my cousins bought my grandmother a George W Bush talking doll. You'd press a button and it would play audio of a Bush quote.

The really brilliant thing is that there were _two_ buttons: "Inspirational" and "Funny." So either way you could enjoy it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Feb 2018, 04:24

Yikes! I just saw the Trumpy Bear commercial on actual TV! AHC -- the so-called "American Heroes Channel" -- airing a documentary on "Hitler the Actor: Part 2." That great American hero, Hitler.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 15:33

Jennifer wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 04:24
Yikes! I just saw the Trumpy Bear commercial on actual TV! AHC -- the so-called "American Heroes Channel" -- airing a documentary on "Hitler the Actor: Part 2." That great American hero, Hitler.
See, I think your lack of exposure to the greatness that is Trumpy Bear is simply a self selecting bias against the channels it has been heavily advertised on. If you think of a show that an old, white retiree would watch and flip to that channel you'll see a Trumpy Bear commercial within an hour; guaranteed. I'm talking "Justice Central", "Game Show Network", non-prime time "History Channel" and probably "The Weather Channel" though I have no empirical evidence of the last one.

My wife watches "Justice Central" for some inexplicable reason and I've been seeing this commercial for months. Also popular on that channel are commercials for at home incontinence supply delivery, mesothelioma lawyers and medical alert devices. I don't think it's coincidental.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Feb 2018, 15:40

Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:33
Jennifer wrote:
See, I think your lack of exposure to the greatness that is Trumpy Bear is simply a self selecting bias against the channels it has been heavily advertised on. If you think of a show that an old, white retiree would watch and flip to that channel you'll see a Trumpy Bear commercial within an hour; guaranteed. I'm talking "Justice Central", "Game Show Network", non-prime time "History Channel" and probably "The Weather Channel" though I have no empirical evidence of the last one.

My wife watches "Justice Central" for some inexplicable reason and I've been seeing this commercial for months. Also popular on that channel are commercials for at home incontinence supply delivery, mesothelioma lawyers and medical alert devices. I don't think it's coincidental.
The only weird thing is that you don't see Trumpy Bear ads on CNN, even though the rest of the ads are for mesobook and catheters.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Feb 2018, 15:53

nicole wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:40
Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:33
Jennifer wrote:

The only weird thing is that you don't see Trumpy Bear ads on CNN, even though the rest of the ads are for mesobook and catheters.
Unless Trumpy Bear comes with a noose and gasoline to speed up the effigy burning, not that surprising.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex