Edutainment was already in my autocorrect :(

Dangerman

Edutainment was already in my autocorrect :(

Post by Dangerman » 16 Jan 2018, 13:09

I have been tasked with generating an ongoing series of short discussions on topics related to employment, advancement, communication etc. as part of my Job Readiness workshop. So, because the very best idea I was given by management was "Try a cool TEDTalk", I'm fielding suggestions for videos, podcasts, or GenEd-level reading material that could be viewed or presented in less than an hour, and support maybe an additional hour of conversation.

I would love to hear what you think. Please post links or suggestions about topics. Examples: Budgeting, Professional Communication, Interviewing/Public speaking, conflict resolution, time management, organization, DIY stuff, networking, critical thinking, interesting language stuff, useful life hacks, self-improvement...

JasonL

Re: Edutainment was already in my autocorrect :(

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 15:25

I believe in mounting an attack on low hanging fruits where available. Like if I were going to get people to try to understand what wines they like, I'd first try to get them to understand what alcohol, acidity, tannin, sugar, and body do to the impression of a wine in your face. I would not talk about cassis or notes of tar because that's stuff for developed palettes.

So, 1) What is your high level subject?; 2) What is the short list of 3 bullets you think are most critical easy misses; 3) how to detect when they are going wrong; 4) how to resolve.

No more than 3 things in the format you are discussing, emphasize techniques not "change your whole life experience to sound like a college grad".

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jan 2018, 15:36

They're short but Argument Clinic videos?

Also, maybe some Adam Ruins Everything would be applicable? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Ruin ... g#Episodes
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jan 2018, 15:37

I've never listened to it but apparently Lifehacker has a podcast: https://lifehacker.com/introducing-the- ... 1791708236
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jan 2018, 15:52

Ellie wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:36
They're short but Argument Clinic videos?

Also, maybe some Adam Ruins Everything would be applicable? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Ruin ... g#Episodes
That's why lawyers try to screen out biased jury members
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges