No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

Warren

Re: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 20:19
Jadagul wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 20:05
Dr. Tyson is a poster child for Physicists' Disease.
You take that back! His undergraduate degree is certainly in physics, but all of his subsequent degrees and work are in astronomy. We take no responsibility for him.
He's actually a quintessential example of another phenomenon altogether. People that do shit vs administration.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

thoreau wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 20:19
Jadagul wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 20:05
Dr. Tyson is a poster child for Physicists' Disease.
You take that back! His undergraduate degree is certainly in physics, but all of his subsequent degrees and work are in astronomy. We take no responsibility for him.
Is this like how mathematicians sometimes think statistics is a subfield and sometimes don't?

But yeah, sorry, Thoreau, he is such a fucking physicist. He has one of the worst cases of physicists' disease I've ever seen.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Astronomers keep telling me that they don't identify as physicists and it is erasing them when I just say "Physics Department" instead of "Physics and Astronomy." I never used to think of them as a completely different field, more like a distinctive branch of physics but indisputably a branch of physics. Then, after listening to enough of their bullshit, I decided "Fuck it. They want to be separatists? OK, they're separate from us. They're foreign enemies and I will treat them as such." I keep trying to find a way to merge them with Ethnic Studies, while annexing Psychology into the College of Science.

As to NdGT, I think it's less "Physicists' Disease" and more "Public Intellectual Disease." The random physicist you meet at a cocktail party who tells you that spin glass models (don't ask) will cure cancer? That's Physicists' Disease. The famous guy who has legions of people telling him that they want to hear and appreciate his every thought? That's Public Intellectuals' Disease.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Geophysicists are physicists in earth science. Let the astrophysicists be physicists and let the star namers be their own thing like the geologists.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

This is Tyson not so much joining the list as getting his previous accusations corroborated.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Seems like there should be a "black man/white woman" joke that pisses off the right people here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Is Harvey Weinstein's walker a real deal or a very transparent attempt to garner jury sympathy?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 12:18
Is Harvey Weinstein's walker a real deal or a very transparent attempt to garner jury sympathy?
Life has been very hard for poor Harvey ever since his steady supply of quid pro quo back-rubs has disappeared.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 12:29
Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 12:18
Life has been very hard for poor Harvey ever since his steady supply of quid pro quo back-rubs has disappeared.
Like, using the walker because he's so hunched over from terminal blue balls?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Mo wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 14:16
Step 1: RNC cedes moral high ground
Step 2: Dems fall ass backwards into it
Step 3: Every pervert in Congress resigns
Step 4: Seats filled by bobcats
Step 5: Trump, Pence and Ryan impeached by bobcats
Step 6: President Bobcat
They're starting to line up...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... ts-wrapper
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

There's no way a bobcat is going to become a senator and then the president. Only 14 out of 45 presidents had previously served in the senate.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 20:49
There's no way a bobcat is going to become a senator and then the president. Only 14 out of 45 presidents had previously served in the senate.
Actually, the problem is that the bobcat is in DC, DC only has a 'shadow Senator', and that's more of groundhog thing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake »

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 20:49
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

There's a whole lot I can't figure out here. Seems like a singer had a relationship with a roadie, she was unhappy about the relationship, so the band took a year off as penance.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... d-comeback

Ok.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

thoreau wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 15:04
Cathy Young has more on it:

https://arcdigital.media/metoo-jumps-an ... 3cb2403791
Bleh, that whole thing is just gross.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Painboy wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 17:42
thoreau wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 15:04
Cathy Young has more on it:

https://arcdigital.media/metoo-jumps-an ... 3cb2403791
Bleh, that whole thing is just gross.
damnit
Now I have to read it.

ETA
As advertised, it was gross.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

So does Kobe's death give us a rough timeline for a #metoo'd dude to rehabilitate his image?