No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

dead_elvis

Re: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Mar 2018, 16:32

the innominate one wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 20:42
Despite the occasional investigation over the years an actual smoking gun never appeared, yet this was one of those people that everyone in the biz "just knew about". But this is new news, turns out in his 20s he had run a charismatic sex cult of sorts.
Former members, many of whom went on to play in some of the country’s top orchestras, say the maestro encouraged them to break off relationships with people outside the group. He discouraged them from reading newspapers, watching television, or going to the movies with outsiders. Levine’s dominance was nearly absolute, they say, as he drew his disciples close for nightly meetings that included everything from chamber music and studying opera scenes, to loyalty tests and anonymous group sex he said would enhance their musicianship.

“I thought it was sex for my improvement, sex to make things better,” said Ifsich, who went on to become a violinist in the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra. “Obviously that’s not what it was, but we were led to believe that.”
But Ellsworth, who was 18 at the time, said when he arrived at the practice room Levine seemed less interested in playing music than he did in asking probing questions about the young violinist’s sexuality.

“One of the first ones was, ‘Do you use utensils when you eat?’,” recalled Ellsworth, who went on to play with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra. He then asked Ellsworth about his masturbation habits.
Do you use utensils when you eat? is like the sexiest grooming line evar.
As the group solidified, so did its raison d’etre: They would follow Levine out of Ohio to form “The God Philharmonic,” an orchestra whose players were so musically integrated — emotionally free and well-prepared — their performances would be nothing short of celestial.
Ugh, sounds totally insufferable. Thank goodness most people grow out of that phase, hopefully before someone damages them for the crime of being young and naive.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 May 2018, 07:40

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Jun 2018, 21:24

Chris Hardwick.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Jun 2018, 23:38

Hardwick comes off as a complete fuck in the story, yes.

At least he's one of these celebrities I have little or no exposure to. I kinda dread the idea of some writer whose work I really like getting called out. There's a long history, especially in genre media, of writers' misbehavior, especially at parties and conventions, being covered over. Isaac Asimov was bad enough; a writer I loved as a kid, he was an outright "Women try not to get caught alone with him" harasser and groper at conventions. I'm just glad I never got into Marion Zimmer Bradley's work.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 16 Jun 2018, 01:31

I"m still skeptical that Asimov got HIV from a blood transfusion, with the life he lived.

I've listened to a few of his podcasts, and he def comes across like a narcissistic jackass obsessed with making sure nobody does anything to detract from his perfect ego projection. And if you can't make yourself look like not-a-jackass on your own show, where you control the script and the editing, how bad are you?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Jun 2018, 11:50

My only exposure to him was on @midnight, (and some dr who preshows) which I liked and to me he seemed clever not jerky.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Jun 2018, 11:55

I didn't know Asimov had HIV, I thought he was just old. (72 years was common enough for a male eastern European born New Yorker of his generation. Or now for that matter.)

I'm always surprised Feynman didn't catch anything. He had even more of a reputation when he was still alive than Asimov did. (Frankly, I thought Asimov was too much of a workaholic to fool around much)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jun 2018, 12:07

Feynman's reputation was based more on how loudly he played up the exploits of his early years, and how willing he was to openly look (but not touch) than anything he actually did once he was happily married to his third wife. It wouldn't shock me if he caught some mundane STD somewhere along the line, but by the time HIV was around he was more talk than action.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 16 Jun 2018, 14:50

Kolohe wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 11:55
I didn't know Asimov had HIV, I thought he was just old. (72 years was common enough for a male eastern European born New Yorker of his generation. Or now for that matter.)
They kept it quiet at the time, because it was 1992 and the stigma was still extremely real, but he definitely died of AIDS-related complications. His second wife acknowledged it in her reissue of his autobiography. The best review of Will Smith's "I Robot" I read was "the only thing that showed less respect for Isaac Asimov's work was the AIDS that killed him," which I found awesomely savage.
I'm always surprised Feynman didn't catch anything. He had even more of a reputation when he was still alive than Asimov did. (Frankly, I thought Asimov was too much of a workaholic to fool around much)
Somebody here (I think might have been Stevo) had a story of a friend he was at a con with who came in the next day with "Isaac Asimov Slept Here" written on her chest.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jun 2018, 15:05

Shem wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 14:50
Somebody here (I think might have been Stevo) had a story of a friend he was at a con with who came in the next day with "Isaac Asimov Slept Here" written on her chest.
That was me. Though I heard the story secondhand from Jeff, who was a massive con-goer in his teens and 20s, as were most of his friends.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Jul 2018, 19:38

Les is now more.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jul 2018, 19:47

Not Moonvest!

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Jul 2018, 16:25

Progress! The Republicans are moving from a Speaker who molests wrestlers to considering a guy who merely turns a blind eye to molesting wrestlers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 01 Nov 2018, 08:25

Google's history of treating high-level employees who harass underlings and have other sexual improprieties is massively different from how they treat low-level employees accused of the same thing: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/tech ... rubin.html
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2018, 10:04

JD wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 08:25
Google's history of treating high-level employees who harass underlings and have other sexual improprieties is massively different from how they treat low-level employees accused of the same thing: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/tech ... rubin.html
I don't think that's just a Google thing.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Nov 2018, 14:19

Regarding Jacob Wohl's pathetic attempt to frame Robert Mueller for rape ... I'd almost feel sorry for Wohl, were he not such a thoroughly reprehensible sort.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 01 Nov 2018, 15:24

Warren wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 10:04
JD wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 08:25
I don't think that's just a Google thing.
Oh, absolutely. Google's cases seem particularly egregious, though.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF