No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

Mo

Re: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

Post by Mo » 07 Dec 2017, 22:08

When a senator resigns, Wyoming has a law that says the governor has to pick from 3 nominees chosen by the state party of the departing senator. I think it should be that way everywhere to prevent the perverse calculus.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Dec 2017, 23:48

JD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 17:55
JasonL wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 14:19
It is pretty great. Had to look up bobcat reference tho
I didn't even know there was a reference...
I googled and I still don't know.
I bet is some social media thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Dec 2017, 23:53

the innominate one wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 22:01
He allegedly forced his cock into the mouth of a 17 year old boy. Classy.

You know, just a few days ago a friend was telling me she was waiting for this to drop, because everyone in entertainment knows he's a shithole of a child-abusing human being.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Dec 2017, 14:37

Warren wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 23:48
JD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 17:55
JasonL wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 14:19
It is pretty great. Had to look up bobcat reference tho
I didn't even know there was a reference...
I googled and I still don't know.
I bet is some social media thing.
Mo mentioned upthread that it's a reference to an escaped bobcat from the National Zoo.

Trigger Warning: Kitty Misfortune (but mostly happy ending)

Even googling that I only found stories from Richmond of a poor bobcat that got hit by a car and lodged in the plastic grill and carried fifty miles. It survived and is being nursed back to health at a local animal hospital or wildlife sanctuary or some such, so yay bobcat.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Dec 2017, 14:46

Painboy wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 18:01
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... oo/547691/
Then I saw Al Franken. I only bug celebrities for pictures when it’ll make my foster mom happy. She loves Franken, so I asked to get a picture with him. We posed for the shot. He immediately put his hand on my waist, grabbing a handful of flesh. I froze. Then he squeezed. At least twice.
Is this sexual assault? He gave her a squeeze or two on the hip.

I'm not a touchy feely person at all. If I'm feeling gregarious I might give you a hand shake. I won't even hug someone unless I've know them for years so this isn't something I worry about, but that seems like a massive overreaction to me. I also certainly wouldn't feel weird, whether it was a guy or a girl either. Am I off base here?
I've seen a few people note on twitter that her explanation is kind of weird if she's alleging something sexual. She explicitly says "waist," which is like...I mean maybe you didn't like it but it doesn't seem sexual, it seems weird, it doesn't seem the same as grabbing your ass...and I'm confused about the part where she's like "I don't let my husband touch me like that in public because it would diminish me as a professional woman" but why would your husband grab at your waist ever, it seems like some weird ass conduct...unless it's some kind of euphemism no one understands.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Dec 2017, 14:58

nicole wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 14:46
Painboy wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 18:01
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... oo/547691/
Then I saw Al Franken. I only bug celebrities for pictures when it’ll make my foster mom happy. She loves Franken, so I asked to get a picture with him. We posed for the shot. He immediately put his hand on my waist, grabbing a handful of flesh. I froze. Then he squeezed. At least twice.
Is this sexual assault? He gave her a squeeze or two on the hip.

I'm not a touchy feely person at all. If I'm feeling gregarious I might give you a hand shake. I won't even hug someone unless I've know them for years so this isn't something I worry about, but that seems like a massive overreaction to me. I also certainly wouldn't feel weird, whether it was a guy or a girl either. Am I off base here?
I've seen a few people note on twitter that her explanation is kind of weird if she's alleging something sexual. She explicitly says "waist," which is like...I mean maybe you didn't like it but it doesn't seem sexual, it seems weird, it doesn't seem the same as grabbing your ass...and I'm confused about the part where she's like "I don't let my husband touch me like that in public because it would diminish me as a professional woman" but why would your husband grab at your waist ever, it seems like some weird ass conduct...unless it's some kind of euphemism no one understands.
To be honest when I first read the article I kept reading thinking that there was going to be more or other later incidents. Like that was just the intro to further abuses. Using it to frame a whole peice off of it makes the rest of the article seem a bit small despite the actual subject matter.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Dec 2017, 16:09

Oh, db...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Dec 2017, 16:58

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Dec 2017, 17:16

Franks is the same guy who argued that gay marriage is "literally a threat to the nation's survival."

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/fag ... al-6656530

And of course, his various forced-birth legislative proposals don't even include exemptions for rape victims, because he believes the chance of getting pregnant from rape is "very low."

Also, Barack Obama's support for abortion rights makes him an "enemy of humanity."

https://web.archive.org/web/20111107220 ... 03544.html

So, yeah -- discovering that he tried turning his female subordinates into brood mares and never once thought they might be uncomfortable with that does not surprise me at all. Any man who supports using the power of the state to find pregnant women and force them to carry the pregnancies to term against their wishes is not going to have a hell of a lot of respect for women. This is about as unsurprising as discovering "Holy shit -- are you telling me that diehard supporter of Jim Crow laws is also a racist?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Dec 2017, 21:17

Gross. And a shame too. I liked Kozinski
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Dec 2017, 22:46

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Dec 2017, 23:00

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Dec 2017, 01:14

Eh, that's just reasonable snark.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Dec 2017, 13:07

Yeah I mean the federalist is a bottle of liquid lsd that hates premarital sex but that's just snarkish.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Dec 2017, 13:23

Garrison Keillor may yet turn out to be innocent:

http://www.startribune.com/garrison-kei ... 462638413/
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Dec 2017, 21:31

Not sure where this should go. But the quote here is amazing. It's basically, people falsely think we're rednecks, so let's prove them right by electing a pederast. It's like a 17 year old saying, "Oh yeah dad, you think I'm immature, I'll show you by getting a face tattoo."
Supporters of Moore, meanwhile, see his candidacy as a conduit for their rejection of the national media and political elites who they believe unfairly caricature their home state as a cultural backwater. They shrug off the notion that sexual misconduct allegations against Moore — allegations that some see as a fabrication by outsiders — should make a difference.

“Oh, please. Haven’t we always been bad, like cousins marrying cousins? That’s not true, but people say what they want to say. Always have judged us,” Lyles said.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Dec 2017, 09:57

I dunno, I can sympathize with the idea that some guy thinks Moore is falsely accused and so doesn't care about national opinion, because he knows they hate people like him, anyway.

The thing is, how many people in Alabama really think Moore's innocent, as opposed to saying so as a partisan signal? There is just way too much talk about how he's still better than a Democrat.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Dec 2017, 10:35

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 09:57
I dunno, I can sympathize with the idea that some guy thinks Moore is falsely accused and so doesn't care about national opinion, because he knows they hate people like him, anyway.

The thing is, how many people in Alabama really think Moore's innocent, as opposed to saying so as a partisan signal? There is just way too much talk about how he's still better than a Democrat.
Mm-hmm. The RNC restoring support is so short sighted. Or even worse, bad accounting. Say you manage to win that seat. How many seats do you put in jeopardy by doing so?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Dec 2017, 12:02

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 09:57

The partisanship is so bad that now they're eating their own -- most of Moore's accused are conservative Trump voters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 Dec 2017, 13:41

thoreau wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 13:23
Garrison Keillor may yet turn out to be innocent:

http://www.startribune.com/garrison-kei ... 462638413/
While I celebrate the removal of PHC and Keillor's masturbatory writer's almanac, if true (and I have no opinion on that), this is the sort of thing the article worrying about overreach was warning about.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Dec 2017, 14:17

One heuristic that's held up pretty well in all this is that these guys never do it just once. It's been a couple weeks and there's been no report (anonymous or otherwise) of a second victim.

It doesn't prove that he's innocent, but it's a reason to be suspicious and wait for more, rather than treating the HR investigation as the final word..
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Dec 2017, 16:16

The thing that's most often surprised me about this is that often the first accusation comes out and I'll say to myself "that's not appropriate, but it's not awful."

And then five more people will make accusations and I have to go "okay, no, that's awful."

See e.g. Julian Sanchez's pair of tweets on Kozinksi:

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Dec 2017, 16:24

Oh fuck! Alex Kozinski too?
Damn that's the first one that really stings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Dec 2017, 16:28

Jadagul wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 16:16
The thing that's most often surprised me about this is that often the first accusation comes out and I'll say to myself "that's not appropriate, but it's not awful."

And then five more people will make accusations and I have to go "okay, no, that's awful."
I'm not really surprised by this reaction, because I think we all leave error bars in our thoughts for "Ok, one person thought that something was inappropriate, but maybe it's not represented well." But when one story gets backed up by more and more stories of the same thing, then you lose that kind of float that "one person thought something that was inappropriate in the moment was far worse than it really was, and it was actually more of a mistake on the part of the other person" to "This is a person who repeatedly has the same "poor judgment" always when it's a favorable situation" and so you can't really doubt it anymore.

It reminds me of something I read about "your awkward friend". You know, that guy who repeatedly says the wrong thing around women and makes them uncomfortable, or repeatedly does over-the-line-but-not-criminal inappropriate things, but then all the other guys are like "That's just Eddie, he's awkward around women." And the point of the article was that maybe he'd be less "awkward" if he didn't get cover for his being a creep from his friends, and that the friends should be less forgiving of that kind of behavior and tell him to quit being a creep.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Dec 2017, 16:59

That's all true.

But I'm also having that reaction even assuming all allegations are true. The first allegation is "that's awkward and he shouldn't have done that, but not awful." And then the third allegation is of actual rape.