Post by nicole » 15 Nov 2017, 07:16

An Africa thread
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Re: I bless the rains

Post by nicole » 15 Nov 2017, 07:17

Wow. https://www.ft.com/content/7724bc6e-c9b ... 9fb7d6163e
Zimbabwe’s army seized control of the country on Wednesday, saying it was removing “criminals” around Robert Mugabe and holding the president for his own safety.

A spokesman said on state television that Mr Mugabe and his family were being held in a “safe and secure place” while soldiers carried out the operation in Harare, which followed a day of high tension between the army’s commander, General Constantino Chiwenga, and Mr Mugabe’s ruling Zanu-PF.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Nov 2017, 12:09

It's just a push from the left and a shove from the right. Where is my copy of Luttwak's book, anyway? I hope I didn't leave it lying around for someone named Chiwenga to find.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Nov 2017, 12:38

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2017, 12:49

I met Claude Rains down in Africa
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Nov 2017, 13:11

On the same topic, I know some Afrikaaners who are now US citizens and to a (wo)man they all have the same attitude: Africa is a lost cause. Quit sending them money and let it burn.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2017, 13:19

tr0g wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 13:11
On the same topic, I know some Afrikaaners who are now US citizens and to a (wo)man they all have the same attitude: Africa is a lost cause. Quit sending them money and let it burn.
I am loathe to throw in the towel on a whole continent. But a period of disengagement while we analyze the consequences of past efforts, to be used in establishing protocols and metrics going forward, would certainly be in order.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Nov 2017, 13:58

nicole wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 07:17
Zimbabwe’s army seized control of the country on Wednesday, saying it was removing “criminals” around Robert Mugabe and holding the president for his own safety.

A spokesman said on state television that Mr Mugabe and his family were being held in a “safe and secure place” while soldiers carried out the operation in Harare, which followed a day of high tension between the army’s commander, General Constantino Chiwenga, and Mr Mugabe’s ruling Zanu-PF.
What's sad is this might actually be an improvement.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Nov 2017, 14:06

So, would this be an even better place to start reciting Kipling?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Nov 2017, 14:08

I don't know, I've never Kipled.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Nov 2017, 14:09

Painboy wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 13:58
nicole wrote:

What's sad is this might actually be an improvement.
Well, I think it will be an improvement over what Grace Mugabe would have been, at least.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Nov 2017, 14:45

You guys know that Africa is generally doing pretty good right now, right? You've actually paid attention to reputable foreign news coverage about the region, correct?

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2017, 15:26

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 14:45
You guys know that Africa is generally doing pretty good right now, right? You've actually paid attention to reputable foreign news coverage about the region, correct?
No I did not. Last I heard Boko Haram was still raping it's way across the north and AIDS and hyperinflation were ravaging the south.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Nov 2017, 15:33

Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 15:26
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
No I did not. Last I heard Boko Haram was still raping it's way across the north and AIDS and hyperinflation were ravaging the south.
There's some nasty shit going on in places like Mexico and Guatemala, and cities right here in the continental US that haven't had clean safe drinking water for years now, but I wouldn't write off the entire North American continent over that. How many different individual countries are there in Africa, anyway -- fifty-something, I think?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Nov 2017, 16:51

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Explain "pretty good."

Overall there has been growth across the continent but there are others like South Africa and Zimbabwe that have been mired in stagnation and misrule for at least a decade, squandering the resources they had at one time. The growth that has taken place is nice to see but even 8% of little is still little. Additionally, number of countries also rely on oil exports for that growth and a price shock could wipe out much of their gains.

The number of massacres and genocides seemed to have calmed down in most of the countries which is great but a number of the governments are still fragile and a crisis away from coming undone.

Is it better than the post colonial-decades? Certainly. Are things "pretty good" now? Not sure about that. Maybe in another decade or two. But it is nice to see some positive trends in recent years.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Nov 2017, 16:56

Africa is way too big to generalize about as doing well or poorly. Lots of places in sub saharan Africa are doing quite well these days. Kenya for sure.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Nov 2017, 17:16

Yes, Africa is complex. A land of contrasts, if you will. There appeared to be a quick descent into soon mongering upthread, whereas Africa now more warranted.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2017, 18:45

Can you point me to Africa's five biggest success stories?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Nov 2017, 19:26

nicole wrote:

This looks like a classic "We're here to protect the King from evil counselors" coup. Readers of Shakespeare know this one well.
After a decent interval, it is usually followed by "Our beloved _______ fell out of a window/ate the wrong mushrooms/was playing with his guns and is no longer with us."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Nov 2017, 19:35

The thetan known as Robert Mugabe as ascended to the next level of OT and discarded his body.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Nov 2017, 21:49

Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 18:45
Botswana. Ghana. Namibia. Gabon. Zambia. And even places like South Africa have massive swaths of land that are essentially global middle class. It's like saying "five neighborhoods in Chicago are hugely unsafe; time to write the whole city off as a shithole and let it collapse."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2017, 00:52

Shem wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 21:49
Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 18:45
Botswana. Ghana. Namibia. Gabon. Zambia. And even places like South Africa have massive swaths of land that are essentially global middle class. It's like saying "five neighborhoods in Chicago are hugely unsafe; time to write the whole city off as a shithole and let it collapse."
I don't know anything about Namibia, Gabon, or Zambia. Botswana I thought of as a "good by Africa standards" place, and I'm frankly surprised to see Ghana on the list.
*reads Wikipedia*
It sounds like Botswana is doing quite well and on the right track.
Ghana sounds like it's doing okay at the moment but there's this:
According to Transparency International's Corruption Perception Index of 2013, out of 177 countries, Ghana ranked 63rd with Cuba and Saudi Arabia.
It's also worth noting that both countries rely heavily on export of natural resources. Not necessarily a problem if the proceeds are invested wisely.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Nov 2017, 09:48

africa is a big fucking place.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Nov 2017, 12:20

Interessant
The general behind Zimbabwe’s coup may have sought Chinese approval days before the army launched its takeover of Robert Mugabe’s government, it emerged on Wednesday.

Mr Mugabe remained under house arrest, still president of Zimbabwe if in name alone, a prisoner of once slavishly loyal generals who now hold the country’s fate in their hands.

As the former British colony faced a deeply uncertain future under military tutelage, a trip to Beijing by Gen Constantine Chiwenga, the head of the armed forces, last week has reignited concerns about rising Chinese influence in Africa.

The general held high-level meetings with officials from the Defence Ministry, and visited a school to observe a Shaolin Kung Fu class.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... ting-coup/

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Nov 2017, 12:47

nicole wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 12:20
Interessant
The general behind Zimbabwe’s coup may have sought Chinese approval days before the army launched its takeover of Robert Mugabe’s government, it emerged on Wednesday.

Mr Mugabe remained under house arrest, still president of Zimbabwe if in name alone, a prisoner of once slavishly loyal generals who now hold the country’s fate in their hands.

As the former British colony faced a deeply uncertain future under military tutelage, a trip to Beijing by Gen Constantine Chiwenga, the head of the armed forces, last week has reignited concerns about rising Chinese influence in Africa.

The general held high-level meetings with officials from the Defence Ministry, and visited a school to observe a Shaolin Kung Fu class.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... ting-coup/
Ah, so that's what White Rose is up to in 2017.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex