The real criminal is the judge

Kwix

Re: The real criminal is the judge

Post by Kwix » 20 Mar 2018, 19:13

A Florida judge set bond Tuesday at $500,000 for ... a misdemeanor trespassing charge.
This person has a couple of juvenile raps for theft and criminal mischief but nothing more.

However, his brother just shot up a school in Florida.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Mar 2018, 14:56

Kwix wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 19:13
A Florida judge set bond Tuesday at $500,000 for ... a misdemeanor trespassing charge.
This person has a couple of juvenile raps for theft and criminal mischief but nothing more.

However, his brother just shot up a school in Florida.
And now he has one of the first two Gun Violence Restraining Orders issued in the state placed upon him.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Mar 2018, 23:11

The black woman who got 5 years for voting while on probation because she didn’t know it was illegal was sentenced in the same county as the one where the rich white kid that killed 4 people while under the influence got a slap on the wrist. #Texas
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Apr 2018, 23:56

This is so fucking insane, I'm surprised the dateline wasn't Florida. Though I would guess that requires the state initially giving a fuck about poor defendants.

http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/nm- ... l/4865696/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2018, 11:48

Mo wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 23:56
This is so fucking insane, I'm surprised the dateline wasn't Florida. Though I would guess that requires the state initially giving a fuck about poor defendants.

“I thought, 'You know what? I can do a better job than any of these people,'” he said. “I've been in the business for 32 years. It's not like I'm coming in fresh. I understand how to do this business. I've worked with the district attorney’s office, I've worked with defense councils. I know the staff."
fuuuuuuuuuuuu
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 May 2018, 21:07

ICE is evil, should be burned to the ground and the soild should be salted so nothing grows there again.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... eals-court

JD

Post by JD » 03 May 2018, 13:36

Mo wrote:
02 May 2018, 21:07
ICE is evil, should be burned to the ground and the soild should be salted so nothing grows there again.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... eals-court
Reading that story, I can also think of some judges who should be burned to the ground and salted, frankly.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 May 2018, 13:57

Warren wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 11:48
Mo wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 23:56

“I thought, 'You know what? I can do a better job than any of these people,'” he said. “I've been in the business for 32 years. It's not like I'm coming in fresh. I understand how to do this business. I've worked with the district attorney’s office, I've worked with defense councils. I know the staff."
fuuuuuuuuuuuu
"I'll take 'The Opposite of Regulatory Capture' for 10% of $10,000, Alex."
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Aug 2018, 02:55

I'm having trouble understanding why the judge would deny the defense motion to collect DNA evidence from the bodies in this case
A Colorado judge has denied a request by a defense attorney for a man accused of killing his pregnant wife and two daughters to require a coroner to collect DNA from the necks of the young girls.

The judge said in an order Friday he would not tell the medical examiner's office involved in the case how to do its job, KMGH-TV and the Daily Camera newspaper in Boulder reported.
I mean considering the sheer number of people exonerated by DNA evidence in recent years, I would think the judge would want due diligence done diligently. If I were a criminal judge I would be inclined to throw out prosecution cases where DNA evidence hadn't been collected. Of course that assumes that my primary interest is getting the right person, not keeping my regular tee time with the prosecutor and medical examiner.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Aug 2018, 05:42

Yeah, but what the defense is probably looking for is 'contact DNA' which is very very trace amounts of DNA left by incidental contact. You might expect to find contact DNA if some unknown assailant had had his hands around the girls' necks to strangle them. Which might exonerate the husband.

Except it can also be transferred from one spot to the next by multiple points of contact. There was a case recently where a homeless man in Oakland was accused of a murder in Palo Alto because his DNA showed up in a contact-DNA check at the scene of the murder. IIRC he even eventually confessed, except finally someone confirmed that he'd never been near the Palo Alto home where the murder had happened and had been seen miles from the site at times inconsistent with the murder.

Contact DNA just isn't super dispositive the way hair DNA or blood DNA or semen DNA is.

So while yeah, maybe there should be an allowance for collecting that evidence, it's probably not scientifically relevant.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Aug 2018, 11:00

Hugh Akston wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 02:55
I mean considering the sheer number of people exonerated by DNA evidence in recent years, I would think the judge would want due diligence done diligently.
Do you even hear yourself?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Aug 2018, 11:27

Probably not, unless he's typing extra loud. Oh, you meant that rhetorically.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Aug 2018, 14:36

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 05:42
Yeah, but what the defense is probably looking for is 'contact DNA' which is very very trace amounts of DNA left by incidental contact. You might expect to find contact DNA if some unknown assailant had had his hands around the girls' necks to strangle them. Which might exonerate the husband.

Except it can also be transferred from one spot to the next by multiple points of contact. There was a case recently where a homeless man in Oakland was accused of a murder in Palo Alto because his DNA showed up in a contact-DNA check at the scene of the murder. IIRC he even eventually confessed, except finally someone confirmed that he'd never been near the Palo Alto home where the murder had happened and had been seen miles from the site at times inconsistent with the murder.

Contact DNA just isn't super dispositive the way hair DNA or blood DNA or semen DNA is.

So while yeah, maybe there should be an allowance for collecting that evidence, it's probably not scientifically relevant.
Well the defense seemed to think it was relevant. And the prosecution has access to the same evidence, so they can cast doubt on its validity if they think it's a red herring.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Aug 2018, 17:01

Yeah it's evidence, and potentially exculpatory if someone specific showed up, but almost any normal suspect should have their DNA show up if they are in contact with the victims with any regularity, or are even just in the same vicinity at different times.

I think the guy has now admitted to it, fwiw. But we all know how admissions can be elicited from the innocent, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR