GET OFF MY LAWN!

Jennifer

Re: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Jennifer » 16 Oct 2017, 14:31

JasonL wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 14:25
Yeah the guys mixing the sound are acting like you have a single speaker where they can direct most of the dialogue, so when your system doesn't do that the effect is mumblemumble.
I think I do have a single speaker, though. At least, my TV isn't hooked up to any additional speakers; all sound comes from the TV itself.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Oct 2017, 15:03

Not exactly what I meant. How to describe. The following is not technically accurate but a gist of the issue.

Imagine all the sound coming through a single speaker. There are different kinds of sound, like explosions is one thing and ambient car noises on a street another, music a third and dialogue a fourth. In a world where recordings are being done based on the assumption of one speaker in your tv, the sound engineers doing the recording are saying, "what to we want to be sure you hear through your one speaker?" They know all the sound is coming through one speaker so they have to adjust the dialogue to be prominent in the recording.

Now say you have 2 speakers but one of them is designed for dialogue only. In this world, the sound engineer gets to say "hey that dialogue only speaker can just be adjusted by the user or settings in the speaker system, so I'm going to pull up the levels of other sounds that were getting suppressed in the one speaker world, it will be awesome". And it is ... provided you actually have the dialogue only speaker. If you don't, the recording you get now sounds dialogue muffled because you don't actually have the ability to set your dialogue louder on your end.

Something like that.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Oct 2017, 15:07

Seriously if they've got the tech to do 5.1 in 20 languages, why can't they have tech to do a 5.1 track and a 2.0 track for those of us too lazy to put in super awesome speakers. Even my actually good receiver I never bothered to put in 5.1 speakers because my ancient L/R speakers are very good and I doubt I'd want to spend the cash on a set of 5.1s that match their quality, and arranging my living room to have all the channels everywhere is just stupid for the limited benefit I'd really get out of it.

And since a weird event crosswired the audio and video channels in my receiver, I can only put one input through the receiver and everything else goes directly into the TV and comes out through the low-ish end TV speakers.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2017, 15:32

It used to be that a lot of DVDs did have both a 5.1 surround track and a 2-channel track. And most Blu-Rays for Region 1 still do non-English languages in 2.0 (and non-English Region 1 BDs have English as the 2.0 track). You can look through the settings for your player, and see if you can have it favor a 2.0 track, but that doesn't help for everything.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Oct 2017, 16:23

I do a lot of my movies via streaming now, so bog knows whether X-fucking-finity or Netflix/Amazon bother with 2.0 tracks (or even support 5.1 - never looked into it).

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2017, 16:34

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 16:23
I do a lot of my movies via streaming now, so bog knows whether X-fucking-finity or Netflix/Amazon bother with 2.0 tracks (or even support 5.1 - never looked into it).
If you use a Roku for Netflix / Amazon, the Roku has Nighttime mode, like I talked about above.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Oct 2017, 17:46

Nighttime mode is basically a compressor. And it boost quiet signals and attenuates loud signals. It's why stuff sounds different on FM radio--it makes it easier to hear through any noise. I have often wanted studio-quality compressors for movies.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2017, 17:56

Sandy wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 17:46
Nighttime mode is basically a compressor. And it boost quiet signals and attenuates loud signals. It's why stuff sounds different on FM radio--it makes it easier to hear through any noise. I have often wanted studio-quality compressors for movies.
psst...
Highway wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 13:17
If you are hearing through the TV speakers, or even an outboard receiver or soundbar, look for a "normalization" setting or "Nighttime" setting for the audio. These use compression to limit the dynamic range of the output so that the loud parts aren't as much louder than the soft parts...

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 Oct 2017, 18:29

Highway wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 23:09
A lot of the time this is an artifact of the 5.1 surround mixing. They put all of the dialogue in the center channel, but they'll have the other sounds in all the other speakers, with no reinforcement for the dialogue. And then when you watch it just with stereo speakers, it's poorly remixed by your TV to split the voices between left and right equally, but not increase their level. So you get full volume on the left and right (plus some from the rears), but not really a boost for the now split center.
Ahh, this makes sense and it sucks.
The irony here is that I have a halfway decent, if older and secondhand 5.1 A/V receiver but I run a pair of old JBL Creature pc speakers off of the 3.5 jack for my TV audio. It's still better than the built in on the TV.
I was too hung up about where to place 5.1s that I never committed to purchasing them.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 17 Oct 2017, 01:49

Highway wrote:
Sandy wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 17:46
psst...
Highway wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 13:17
If you are hearing through the TV speakers, or even an outboard receiver or soundbar, look for a "normalization" setting or "Nighttime" setting for the audio. These use compression to limit the dynamic range of the output so that the loud parts aren't as much louder than the soft parts...
Yes, I was expanding on those remarks.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Nov 2017, 13:07

Warren wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:31
Twitter is really starting to be a burr under my saddle.
I hate the collage tweet that you have to click click click to see all what's being talked about and then half the time I still can't figure it out.
+1.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2017, 13:55

Andrew wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 13:07
Warren wrote:
I hate the collage tweet that you have to click click click to see all what's being talked about and then half the time I still can't figure it out.
+1.
Crosslink followup.
Warren wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:27
... twitter is getting harder to ignore and harder to interact with.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Nov 2017, 16:58

Warren wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 13:55
Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:
+1.
Crosslink followup.
Warren wrote:
I dunno, I find it easy to ignore. If it weren't for reading linked tweets here, I'd never need to interact with it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2017, 17:04

Andrew wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 16:58
Warren wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 13:55
Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:
+1.
Crosslink followup.
Warren wrote:
I dunno, I find it easy to ignore. If it weren't for reading linked tweets here, I'd never need to interact with it.
Yeah, the only other exposure I get on any regular basis is one crazy relative who cross-posts all his tweets to Facebook.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 04 Nov 2017, 10:42

Comedy gold, that is.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Nov 2017, 10:51

Lunch, the particularly annoying thing about your relative's Twitter posts is that he doesn't thread them, so they can automatically show up individually on Facebook.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 04 Nov 2017, 11:44

They aren’t in threads, generally. If they are, you have to go to Twitter to see the thread.

I mainly have them linked so I can make sure shitposts go to both.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2019, 11:05

Google's new image search interface. :x
I don't like change.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Sep 2019, 12:20

The percentage of my social media feed made up of people saying, "I don't remember 9/11 because I was too young when it happened ..."

(and the fact that this percentage is just going to keep growing)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Sep 2019, 12:23

Hopefully that means we can someday move from #neverforget to #911isajoke.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Sep 2019, 12:26

Ellie wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 12:20
The percentage of my social media feed made up of people saying, "I don't remember 9/11 because I was too young when it happened ..."

(and the fact that this percentage is just going to keep growing)
Lol I definitely don’t follow people that young
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Sep 2019, 13:20

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 12:23
Hopefully that means we can someday move from #neverforget to #911isajoke.
This.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Sep 2019, 15:58

It took us winning ('winning') Desert Storm for us to get over Vietnam.

And now I just realized we're further from 9/11 (and have been for a while) than Desert Storm was from the fall of Saigon.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 16:16

Kolohe wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 15:58
And now I just realized we're further from 9/11 (and have been for a while) than Desert Storm was from the fall of Saigon.
OK, that one weirds me out.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Sep 2019, 16:59

Kolohe wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 15:58
It took us winning ('winning') Desert Storm for us to get over Vietnam.
Thinking of it that way just sounds like getting over losing a fight to a runt nerd by beating up a kid in a wheelchair. Like there's no way to come out of that not looking like a horrible bully.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."