Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

lunchstealer

Re: Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 16:00
thoreau, you are whiter, maler, and privileger than my wildest fantasies.
Well yeah because your wildest fantasies are of Subic Bay.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:43
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:40
I mean, fair enough. If you lack all empathy and don't take things affecting people's lives seriously, Trump's kind of a hoot.
Or if you've always had empathy and are grading on a curve.
Grading empathy on the curve is exactly the problem, Warren. "Speaking as one who is neither an immigrant nor a minority nor a woman, I think what they're experiencing under Trump is hilarious."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

We're all victims of implicit bias, one way or another. We don't carry the life experiences of people significantly different from us, so we don't process what would otherwise be the same new experiences the same way. I can't feel the ever present threat of sexual attack women walking alone feel, can't feel what it's like to be black and alone and stopped by a police car, don't expect to have to prove I'm an American to anyone, etc. When I visited Spain, my first reaction was disorientation at hearing all these white people speaking Spanish everywhere. We're all more comfortable with people who look like us, sound like us, etc. That's not a uniquely American problem. The uniquely American part is that, at least in principle, we recognize it's a problem. Our political fault line lies largely in how we want to address that problem.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Also in how we assess the degree to which implicit bias drives the bus in human action.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

THREE YEARS OF MISERY INSIDE GOOGLE, THE HAPPIEST COMPANY IN TECH

Why mixing personal politics and work might not be such a great idea.

Mo

Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by Mo »

The cool Regus IPO shitshow has been quite a sight to see
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

A Googler disrupts ICE's ass (second story)by taking a Ruby library he wrote off of Github and otherwise making it unavailable for use. This library he wrote was an add-on for software by a company he'd previously worked for, and it's apparently become indispensable to them since he left. (Going by the name, it probably provides a lot of convenience methods and and other "sugar" to make their software easier to code with.) It's apparently been bundled with software his old company sells to ICE, and his taking it down put them in an awkward position.

(Admittedly, he's in Pittsburgh.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo »

The butthole story re:Facebook is moderately amusing and also why I look forward to the day lawsuits cause the firm to burn to the ground.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 17:41
The butthole story re:Facebook is moderately amusing and also why I look forward to the day lawsuits cause the firm to burn to the ground.
LOL Not a chance, they live in court.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

They lose in court, a lot.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lololololol∞
A facial-recognition company that contracts with powerful law-enforcement agencies just reported that an intruder stole its entire client list, according to a notification the company sent to its customers.

In the notification, which The Daily Beast reviewed, the startup Clearview AI disclosed to its customers that an intruder “gained unauthorized access” to its list of customers, to the number of user accounts those customers had set up, and to the number of searches its customers have conducted.
Go fuck yourselves you police state lap dogs.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 20:51
lololololol∞
A facial-recognition company that contracts with powerful law-enforcement agencies just reported that an intruder stole its entire client list, according to a notification the company sent to its customers.

In the notification, which The Daily Beast reviewed, the startup Clearview AI disclosed to its customers that an intruder “gained unauthorized access” to its list of customers, to the number of user accounts those customers had set up, and to the number of searches its customers have conducted.
In the best spirit of quis custodiet ipsos custodes, I do hope that entire client list is made public.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:40
Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 20:51
lololololol∞

In the best spirit of quis custodiet ipsos custodes, I do hope that entire client list is made public.
This my hope as well. 1 million points to the beautiful black hatted bastard who publishes it.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

I don't know that the list in and of itself is of interest. It would be interesting to find out Officer Joe is searching for his wife's divorce attorney and such.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:46
I don't know that the list in and of itself is of interest. It would be interesting to find out Officer Joe is searching for his wife's divorce attorney and such.
Why wouldn’t it be of interest to find out whether a police department you are subject to and could exert some kind of pressure on is using this?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lol pressure

nicole

Post by nicole »

I was at least mildly surprised when SF banned cops and city agencies from using facial recognition but I don’t see why it couldn’t happen here as well. IL already has a pretty strong biometric privacy law.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I would be interested to see whether PDs in places where using facial recognition has been banned are actually not using it, or they are using it but not submitting the findings for warrants or trial evidence. Stingray for example is a widely used technology, but no cops use it as an official evidentiary source.

Also, what are the consequences for cops using these verboten technologies? pillory? hanging? scaphism? a dressing-down from the appointed poobah followed by the blind assumption that everything is fixed now?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 13:50
I would be interested to see whether PDs in places where using facial recognition has been banned are actually not using it, or they are using it but not submitting the findings for warrants or trial evidence. Stingray for example is a widely used technology, but no cops use it as an official evidentiary source.

Also, what are the consequences for cops using these verboten technologies? pillory? hanging? scaphism? a dressing-down from the appointed poobah followed by the blind assumption that everything is fixed now?
Eventually, either the Supreme Court with expand its right to privacy to make illegal (i.e., warrantless) use of AI facial recognition searches or we'll pretty much just give up on privacy. Probably the latter, but if it turns out to be the former you could at least sue those police departments.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 14:03
Eventually, either the Supreme Court with expand its right to privacy to make illegal (i.e., warrantless) use of AI facial recognition searches or we'll pretty much just give up on privacy. Probably the latter, but if it turns out to be the former you could at least sue those police departments.
It is for sure going to be the latter. Any day now facial recognition is going to be built into Google Search.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT