Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

lunchstealer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2019, 03:28

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 16:00
thoreau, you are whiter, maler, and privileger than my wildest fantasies.
Well yeah because your wildest fantasies are of Subic Bay.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2019, 03:48

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:43
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:40
I mean, fair enough. If you lack all empathy and don't take things affecting people's lives seriously, Trump's kind of a hoot.
Or if you've always had empathy and are grading on a curve.
Grading empathy on the curve is exactly the problem, Warren. "Speaking as one who is neither an immigrant nor a minority nor a woman, I think what they're experiencing under Trump is hilarious."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Jul 2019, 06:57

We're all victims of implicit bias, one way or another. We don't carry the life experiences of people significantly different from us, so we don't process what would otherwise be the same new experiences the same way. I can't feel the ever present threat of sexual attack women walking alone feel, can't feel what it's like to be black and alone and stopped by a police car, don't expect to have to prove I'm an American to anyone, etc. When I visited Spain, my first reaction was disorientation at hearing all these white people speaking Spanish everywhere. We're all more comfortable with people who look like us, sound like us, etc. That's not a uniquely American problem. The uniquely American part is that, at least in principle, we recognize it's a problem. Our political fault line lies largely in how we want to address that problem.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Jul 2019, 10:02

Also in how we assess the degree to which implicit bias drives the bus in human action.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 28 Aug 2019, 21:34

THREE YEARS OF MISERY INSIDE GOOGLE, THE HAPPIEST COMPANY IN TECH

Why mixing personal politics and work might not be such a great idea.

Mo

Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by Mo » 13 Sep 2019, 16:44

The cool Regus IPO shitshow has been quite a sight to see
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2019, 21:39

A Googler disrupts ICE's ass (second story)by taking a Ruby library he wrote off of Github and otherwise making it unavailable for use. This library he wrote was an add-on for software by a company he'd previously worked for, and it's apparently become indispensable to them since he left. (Going by the name, it probably provides a lot of convenience methods and and other "sugar" to make their software easier to code with.) It's apparently been bundled with software his old company sells to ICE, and his taking it down put them in an awkward position.

(Admittedly, he's in Pittsburgh.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.