Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Pham Nuwen

Re: Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Apr 2019, 11:32

Mo wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:35
Wow, a basic IF statement is now considered AI. Does this mean I can now put AI as one of my skills on LinkedIn?
If ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2019, 12:38

Mo wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:35
Wow, a basic IF statement is now considered AI. Does this mean I can now put AI as one of my skills on LinkedIn?
Maybe the Friends are linking from the 'other side.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Apr 2019, 17:33

Eh,, as the story is about them trying to detect people as dead who haven't been explicitly marked as such (if someone is marked dead, this already doesn't happen), I'm pretty sure they'll do some machine learning bullshit to misclasdify a bunch of people.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2019, 02:19

Eric the .5b wrote:Eh,, as the story is about them trying to detect people as dead who haven't been explicitly marked as such (if someone is marked dead, this already doesn't happen), I'm pretty sure they'll do some machine learning bullshit to misclasdify a bunch of people.
Nah the not sending birthday updates kicks in after the account has been memorialized (I.e. the person croaks), it’s not about deciding whether to memorialize an account.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Apr 2019, 02:44

Mo wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 02:19
Eric the .5b wrote:Eh,, as the story is about them trying to detect people as dead who haven't been explicitly marked as such (if someone is marked dead, this already doesn't happen), I'm pretty sure they'll do some machine learning bullshit to misclasdify a bunch of people.
Nah the not sending birthday updates kicks in after the account has been memorialized (I.e. the person croaks), it’s not about deciding whether to memorialize an account.
There's an update at the end of the article:
In other words, Facebook’s AI is being deployed to work out which of its users are dead, rather than waiting to be told.
Which they'll inevitably fuck up, but probably not as entertainingly as when they marked everyone dead.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.