Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

lunchstealer

Re: Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by lunchstealer » 04 May 2018, 02:46

Warren wrote:
02 May 2018, 14:08
“Activists at Google” helped organize a rally critical of President Donald Trump’s policies. “Militia at Google” members discussed their desire to overturn a prohibition on guns in the office. “Conservatives at Google” allege discrimination against right-leaning job candidates. “Sex Positive at Google” group members are concerned that explicit content is being unfairly removed from Google Drive file-sharing software.

“Googlers For Animals” invited the PETA president, only to be undercut by members of the “Black Googler Network.”
I can imagine the group that I bolded saying, "What do you mean my pictures are 'not safe for work'? You're not safe for work, Puritan!"
Stymied by paywall.

"You're Not Safe For Work" is excellent fecal flinging fodder.
Your mom's not safe for work.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 May 2018, 07:49

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:41
Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:40
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
thoreau wrote:
02 May 2018, 20:12

As I get older I'm developing more and more appreciation for the drawing of lines.
The Germans are good at this.

The starting point to bringing bit back is referring to people as "Mr." or "Ms." rather than by first names.
Do not ask a German colleague how they are doing unless you are ready for the unvarnished truth.
Which is exactly right. Say hello or whatever, don't ask how's it going or similar. How the fuck such a stupid custom got started I don't know.
I'm on my third Chinese Duolingo module, and I learned that Ni Hao ("Hello") transliterates to "You good?"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 May 2018, 11:43

Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 17:33
Dangerman wrote:
03 May 2018, 13:09
It's a good point that we should not assume that Google (read: the service, the algorithm, the product) is a neutral arbiter of information, when it's clear that the org has specific institutional values.
When companies grow above a certain size, politics cease to matter for business purposes. Maybe at the tiniest f margins, like which state to extort receive tax rebates from, but that's why companies that make a stink about bathroom bills do business in countries where homosexuality is illegal or companies that are for free speech hand over customer information to the government rather than close up shop in a market. The politics of a company are not made up of the sum of their employees' politics.
I would compare it to the way we describe news organizations as having certain biases, both as a tradition of the institution, and as something that can be cultivated by the goals or motives of the leadership.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 04 May 2018, 12:13

Kolohe wrote:
04 May 2018, 07:49

I'm on my third Chinese Duolingo module, and I learned that Ni Hao ("Hello") transliterates to "You good?"
An aside: my wife has signed up to teach in China this summer for a week or so through the cultural exchange program at her school. So she's just gotten into Duolingo for the past week. She practices on the dozen or so Chinese exchange students, who are all mostly very shy and reserved, except for one girl who took a shine to my wife last year. So my wife is practicing Ni Hao with them and getting odd reactions, so she asks the one girl why. The girl explains that the way my wife is saying it, the inflection, isn't so much "Hello, how are you?" as it is "How are your cancer treatments?"
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 May 2018, 12:14

Kolohe wrote:
04 May 2018, 07:49
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:41
Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:40
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
thoreau wrote:
02 May 2018, 20:12

As I get older I'm developing more and more appreciation for the drawing of lines.
The Germans are good at this.

The starting point to bringing bit back is referring to people as "Mr." or "Ms." rather than by first names.
Do not ask a German colleague how they are doing unless you are ready for the unvarnished truth.
Which is exactly right. Say hello or whatever, don't ask how's it going or similar. How the fuck such a stupid custom got started I don't know.
Yes/no.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 May 2018, 15:49

Part of me is glad that my personal online data will far under GDPR rules.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 May 2018, 18:05

Apparently the GDPR is dangerously close to killing off WHOIS, which is really kind of concerning.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 May 2018, 18:35

They're not merely replacing it with the 21st century version, WHODIS?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 May 2018, 19:14

It's not nice to dis people.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 06 May 2018, 21:04

thoreau wrote:
06 May 2018, 19:14
It's not nice to dis people.
What about deese people?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 May 2018, 21:07

"Just" block Europe off the internet. A reverse version of the Great Firewall of Chine.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 May 2018, 09:07

Kolohe wrote:
06 May 2018, 18:35
They're not merely replacing it with the 21st century version, WHODIS?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole