Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Pham Nuwen

Re: Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Apr 2019, 11:32

Mo wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:35
Wow, a basic IF statement is now considered AI. Does this mean I can now put AI as one of my skills on LinkedIn?
If ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2019, 12:38

Mo wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:35
Wow, a basic IF statement is now considered AI. Does this mean I can now put AI as one of my skills on LinkedIn?
Maybe the Friends are linking from the 'other side.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Apr 2019, 17:33

Eh,, as the story is about them trying to detect people as dead who haven't been explicitly marked as such (if someone is marked dead, this already doesn't happen), I'm pretty sure they'll do some machine learning bullshit to misclasdify a bunch of people.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2019, 02:19

Eric the .5b wrote:Eh,, as the story is about them trying to detect people as dead who haven't been explicitly marked as such (if someone is marked dead, this already doesn't happen), I'm pretty sure they'll do some machine learning bullshit to misclasdify a bunch of people.
Nah the not sending birthday updates kicks in after the account has been memorialized (I.e. the person croaks), it’s not about deciding whether to memorialize an account.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Apr 2019, 02:44

Mo wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 02:19
Eric the .5b wrote:Eh,, as the story is about them trying to detect people as dead who haven't been explicitly marked as such (if someone is marked dead, this already doesn't happen), I'm pretty sure they'll do some machine learning bullshit to misclasdify a bunch of people.
Nah the not sending birthday updates kicks in after the account has been memorialized (I.e. the person croaks), it’s not about deciding whether to memorialize an account.
There's an update at the end of the article:
In other words, Facebook’s AI is being deployed to work out which of its users are dead, rather than waiting to be told.
Which they'll inevitably fuck up, but probably not as entertainingly as when they marked everyone dead.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Jun 2019, 14:20

Behold, the next step hop in personal transportation. Watch out segway, the dockless pogo stick is about to swarm a city near you!
The company’s plan is to launch in Malmo and Stockholm this summer and follow that up with London and San Francisco shortly after. This plan is funny, as I would have figured the plan would be to live comfortably off of startup investor capital until the company went bankrupt in 6 months.
For one thing, is pogo stick transportation any faster than just walking? It’s a hell of a lot more dangerous, especially on a busy city street. They want you to use these things in the goddamn bike lane. I’m sure already disgruntled cyclists will be happy to share the lane with your hippity hoppity jumping. And they realize San Francisco is full of hills, right? This must be funded by dental prosthesis companies. That’s the only logic I can place behind this.
h4e8esnlktho2o196xbu.jpg
h4e8esnlktho2o196xbu.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
https://jalopnik.com/pogo-stick-sharing ... 1835184447
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jun 2019, 14:42

This is a hoax, right? I mean, not even school boards would promote something that dumb.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jun 2019, 16:50

Is steampunk still a thing? There’s still time for my electric penny-farthing startup to hit the market.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2019, 17:08

Mo wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 16:50
There’s still time for my electric penny-farthing startup to hit the market.
See, I would legit rent one of those and toodle around for a day.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jun 2019, 17:54

Ellie wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 17:08
Mo wrote:
I think you have to grow a moustache to toodle.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jun 2019, 17:55

Ellie mastered her own body weight, my money is on her during the bare knuckle boxing match.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2019, 18:15

Warren wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 17:54
Ellie wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 17:08
Mo wrote:
I think you have to grow a moustache to toodle.
That's true. I could get a feather fascinator and mow people down, instead!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jun 2019, 20:21

I approve of Bay Area start-ups disrupting their own asses with pogo sticks.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jun 2019, 20:46

thoreau wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 20:21
I approve of Bay Area start-ups disrupting their own asses with pogo sticks.
This is almost certainly a con job or a hoax, but it's not Bay Area. It's Swedish brand bullshit.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jun 2019, 20:47

Mo wrote:
Is steampunk still a thing? There’s still time for my electric penny-farthing startup to hit the market.
That sounds too dangerously close to something that might sell and be profitable.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Jun 2019, 12:09

I have a friend who owns a functional boneshaker and it's hard not to feel superior when you ride it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2019, 18:55

I see a lot of those electric rent-a-scooters in certain trendy Atlanta neighborhoods, and always wondered (regarding scooters in general, not just the electric app-operated ones): why do they only ever make them with two wheels rather than four (more like a roller skate than a roller blade, IOW), so that keeping the thing balanced isn't such an issue?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Jun 2019, 19:17

Jennifer wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 18:55
I see a lot of those electric rent-a-scooters in certain trendy Atlanta neighborhoods, and always wondered (regarding scooters in general, not just the electric app-operated ones): why do they only ever make them with two wheels rather than four (more like a roller skate than a roller blade, IOW), so that keeping the thing balanced isn't such an issue?
Because two wheels is all you need, and four would probably be terrible to drive around. Keeping the scooter balanced is not an issue when you're riding it. The issue is keeping yourself balanced while you're riding it, and I haven't found that to be very hard at all.

And it's not like a skateboard is easy to ride, even with 4 wheels. Scooters are much easier to ride than skateboards.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2019, 21:03

Highway wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 19:17
Jennifer wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 18:55
Because two wheels is all you need, and four would probably be terrible to drive around. Keeping the scooter balanced is not an issue when you're riding it. The issue is keeping yourself balanced while you're riding it, and I haven't found that to be very hard at all.

And it's not like a skateboard is easy to ride, even with 4 wheels. Scooters are much easier to ride than skateboards.
A skateboard is hard to ride precisely because there's nothing for you to hold on to, and no way to "attach" yourself to it; you're just standing on a board with wheels.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Jun 2019, 03:11

Jennifer wrote:I see a lot of those electric rent-a-scooters in certain trendy Atlanta neighborhoods, and always wondered (regarding scooters in general, not just the electric app-operated ones): why do they only ever make them with two wheels rather than four (more like a roller skate than a roller blade, IOW), so that keeping the thing balanced isn't such an issue?
4 wheels is far less maneuverable than 2. As Highway said keeping a scooter balanced is not all that hard. Heck my 2 yeah old can keep a 3 wheeled scooter balanced, pretty sure a grown assed person can balance a 2 wheeled scooter.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jun 2019, 03:14

Perhaps I'm letting my own miserable experience with roller blades (after a lifetime of more-than-competent roller skating) color my view of straight-line two-wheel balance, then.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Jun 2019, 06:51

Do you have similar problems with a bicycle? For me riding a bicycle is a lot easier than rollerblades despite the in-line nature of the wheels.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Jun 2019, 08:50

3 wheels is the worst and has the highest propensity to tip during turns

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jun 2019, 19:23

Mo wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 06:51
Do you have similar problems with a bicycle? For me riding a bicycle is a lot easier than rollerblades despite the in-line nature of the wheels.
No, but (obviously) with a bicycle and roller blades -- though not with roller skates -- balance is not an issue when you're moving, but is when you are still. By contrast, balancing on four-wheel skates when you're not moving is no more of an issue for you than any type of standing is (provided you remember you ARE on wheels, of course) but it's impossible to balance on your bike seat, feet in the pedals, when you're standing still. To stand still on a bike you have to literally stand, with your feet on the ground.

I remember similar balance problems with my attempts at straight-line-wheel roller blading, compared to roller skating --- I mean, of course you can stand still with roller blades on, but you have to do something weird with your feet (and, unlike roller skates, staying balanced on roller blades made my ankles hurt like a sonofabitch, too. And that's when I was an undergrad, still dancing, and far stronger and in far better shape than I am now).

Mo

Silicon Valley Disrupts Its Own Ass

Post by Mo » 05 Jun 2019, 03:07

Have you ever used a scooter? When you’re not moving, you have one foot on the ground, so balance isn’t an issue. Also if your ankles are hurting you when you’re standing still on rollerblades, you probably don’t have them on tight enough, which may be part of the problem. Standing in roller blades is no different than standing in ice skates, which is pretty easy once you figure it out.