Arbeit Macht Frei

JD

Re: Arbeit Macht Frei

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:40
WSJ wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:32 Most meetings are scheduled to last no more than 15 minutes.
Is that even possible???
Schedule meetings for only 15 minutes? Why, so can I, or so can any man. But will they only last for 15 minutes when you do schedule them?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

WSJ wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:32 Most meetings are scheduled to last no more than 15 minutes.
Is that even possible???
Yes it is. Especially if you kill don't invite the guy who has to repeat every point five times and say his piece on every single topic.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:04
Is that even possible???
Yes it is. Especially if you kill don't invite the guy who has to repeat every point five times and say his piece on every single topic.
But isn't he the one guy that needs to be at the meeting?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:06
Aresen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:04
Is that even possible???
But isn't he the one guy that needs to be at the meeting?
Actually, he is the largest piece of deadwood in the office.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Seriously.

Don't be late. Don't fucking interrupt. Learn to take notes. If you have a question that doesn't require the whole group, ask it after adjourning.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Amazon has a culture where you send out the meeting materials ahead of time and people are expected to know it. Far too much time in meetings is spent on, “On the last episode of this meeting we covered...”
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Mo wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:36 Amazon has a culture where you send out the meeting materials ahead of time and people are expected to know it. Far too much time in meetings is spent on, “On the last episode of this meeting we covered...”
Yeah, this is a good idea. I'm tired of meetings with no agenda, materials, or background.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:36 Amazon has a culture where you send out the meeting materials ahead of time and people are expected to know it. Far too much time in meetings is spent on, “On the last episode of this meeting we covered...”
Yeah. When I was a manager this is how I always did things, and I still do it for all my own meetings. But our management culture is mostly no longer like this and the lost productivity is insane. (Not at Amazon, in case it sounded like that.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The 4-day workweek is expanding
In the U.S., Shake Shack started testing the idea a year and a half ago. The burger chain shortened managers' workweeks to four days at some stores and found that recruitment spiked, especially among women.

Shake Shack's president, Tara Comonte, says the staff loved the perk: "Being able to take their kids to school a day a week, or one day less of having to pay for day care, for example."
Simply slashing the number and duration of meetings saved huge amounts of time. Also, he did away with open-floor office plans and saw workers spending far less time on social media. All this, he says, made it easier to focus more deeply on the work.

Remarkably, workers got more work done while working fewer hours. Sales and profits grew. Employees spent less time commuting, and they were happier.

Barnes says there were other, unexpected benefits: It narrowed workplace gender gaps. Women — who typically took more time off for caregiving — suddenly had greater flexibility built into their schedule. Men also had more time to help with their families, Barnes says.

The company didn't police how workers spent their time. But if performance slipped, the firm could revert back to the full-week schedule. Barnes says that alone motivated workers.
And of course, no good idea is really good until it's mandatory
Last month, a Washington state senator introduced a bill to reduce the standard workweek to 32 hours. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev is backing a parliamentary proposal to shift to a four-day week. Politicians in Britain and Finland are considering something similar.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Silicon Valley Ruined Work Culture
Offices used to be gulags, but at least they had a clear purpose. You wouldn’t hang out in a cubicle farm, let alone spend time there on the weekends. Then companies like Google came along and reinvented the rat race into something with purpose and, along the way, confused work with the rest of life. Now, your coworkers are supposed to feel like a family. Hierarchies have been flattened, conventional job titles replaced by ones like “wizard” and “ninja.” The vacation days are unlimited (not that you’d ever take them). And forget about work-life balance. It’s all about work-life integration. Why else would the office have on-site acupuncture, nap pods, and free dinner after 7 pm?
Lyons believes these new-agey corporate practices, along with perks like free snacks or beer on tap, are simply a misdirection from something rotten at the core. He blames worker unhappiness not just on Silicon Valley’s work culture but also on its business model—one he calls “shareholder capitalism.” The modern tech company is obsessed with growth and profit, at the expense of its employees and to the benefit of its investors. Some lucky employees might have stock options, but most don’t, and even then it’s a small percentage of the money flowing back to investors. The perks, then, function like trick mirrors, “a way to distract employees and keep them from noticing that their pockets are being picked.” David Heinemeier Hanson, father of the programming language Ruby on Rails, has called this “trickle-down workaholism” the result of “trying to compress a lifetime’s worth of work into the abbreviated timeline of a venture fund.”
Bring back the gulags!
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It is obvious that what many people are angling for is no requirement to do anything productive. There is no acceptable model, just goal post moving until the revolution happens and somehow you just get paid to exist. Only then are you not being exploited.
Mo

Post by Mo »

I really miss my cubicle.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I just want to work remotely.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:29 I just want to work remotely.
Or better still, to just remotely work.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:55
Hugh Akston wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:29 I just want to work remotely.
Or better still, to just remotely work.
I don't even remotely miss work.

nicole

Post by nicole »

But if you work remotely how will the extroverts feed on your soul?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I may someday find a home office setup I like as much as the chairs and office furniture plus conference call arrangement plus dual monitors of size and all that I get at work, but it isn't close now. I do more real work in the office by far. I also hate home=work. I want bright line cutoff unless I'm in project mode or known extendo hours for commitments. Regular life is i'm not available and not working after 5:00.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

At a previous firm, Mr. Rheingans took a salary cut so he could spend two afternoons a week with his children. A few months later he asked for his salary to be reinstated because he was producing as much work as before. His partners agreed, though, he says, they were rankled by the arrangement.
TBH, at least theoretically, salaried employs aren't supposed to be on a clock. They're supposed to have task goals and take however long it takes to accomplish them, with at least some latitude as to when it gets done. If you have set hours you're supposed to be paid an hourly wage rather than a salary.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 13:49
At a previous firm, Mr. Rheingans took a salary cut so he could spend two afternoons a week with his children. A few months later he asked for his salary to be reinstated because he was producing as much work as before. His partners agreed, though, he says, they were rankled by the arrangement.
TBH, at least theoretically, salaried employs aren't supposed to be on a clock. They're supposed to have task goals and take however long it takes to accomplish them, with at least some latitude as to when it gets done. If you have set hours you're supposed to be paid an hourly wage rather than a salary.
But in practice you get dirty looks and maybe a gentle conversation from above if you roll out at 2 because your stuff is done and there's nothing else you can start realistically. So you sit at your desk watching dog videos until at least 4 to keep up appearances.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 13:37 I may someday find a home office setup I like as much as the chairs and office furniture plus conference call arrangement plus dual monitors of size and all that I get at work, but it isn't close now. I do more real work in the office by far. I also hate home=work. I want bright line cutoff unless I'm in project mode or known extendo hours for commitments. Regular life is i'm not available and not working after 5:00.
The only solution is to have a legitimate home office effectively cut off from the rest of the house, preferably even detached. As for the rest, well, you either have the discipline to knock off at 5 pm except for bona fide emergency deadlines or none of it matters.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:39
Yeah, this is a good idea. I'm tired of meetings with no agenda, materials, or background.
Yeah, my dread is a client or partner "Hey can you be available for a meeting at 2PM tomorrow?" I can, but fuck me can't you give me some idea what I'm going to be talking about? It'd be nice to know so I don't have to respond off the top of my head where I might forget something big. Because that big thing I forget might be more important to you than to me.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
JD

Post by JD »

lunchstealer wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 15:56 Yeah, my dread is a client or partner "Hey can you be available for a meeting at 2PM tomorrow?" I can, but fuck me can't you give me some idea what I'm going to be talking about? It'd be nice to know so I don't have to respond off the top of my head where I might forget something big. Because that big thing I forget might be more important to you than to me.
And like clockwork, just today I got a meeting invite for tomorrow from someone I virtually never talk to with the title "Talk through GitHub locations for BI" with absolutely no context.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 13:37 I may someday find a home office setup I like as much as the chairs and office furniture plus conference call arrangement plus dual monitors of size and all that I get at work, but it isn't close now.
Why the fuck not? All that takes is a small amount of money.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Highway

Post by Highway »

Yeah, I mean, I have a chair at home that's far better than any I'd get at work (even discounting the fact that we have to use drafting height chairs at work because someone had the awful idea to make our desks be just below counter height, they wouldn't pay for us to get good chairs). Pretty much any chair that quality is a bit under $1000. Dual 27" monitors of work quality would set you back $400. The conference call stuff is a bit different, but if more people did it, more people would be able to figure out Teams or heck, even something like Discord. And that kind of headset for VoIP conferencing is more something you'd have at home. It might kill legacy phone systems, but very few people would be sad to see them go.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

For JasonL: Sorry, but Working From Home Is Overrated
But research also shows that what remote workers gain in productivity, they often miss in harder-to-measure benefits like creativity and innovative thinking. Studies have found that people working together in the same room tend to solve problems more quickly than remote collaborators, and that team cohesion suffers in remote work arrangements.

Remote workers also tend to take shorter breaks and fewer sick days than office-based ones, and in studies, many report finding it hard to separate their work from their home lives. That’s a good thing if you’re a boss looking to squeeze extra efficiency out of your employees, but less ideal if you’re someone trying to achieve some work-life balance.
“There’s an element of social interaction that’s really important,” said Laszlo Bock, the chief executive of Humu, a Silicon Valley human resources start-up.

Mr. Bock, who was previously Google’s top human resources officer, said that for most people, balancing office work with remote work is ideal. His company’s research has found that the ideal amount of work-from-home time is one and a half days per week — enough to participate in office culture, with some time reserved for deep, focused work.

“The reason tech companies have micro-kitchens and free snacks is not because they think people are going to starve between 9 a.m. and noon,” he said. “It’s because that’s where you get those moments of serendipity.”

In recent years, some companies with sizable remote workforces have experimented with ways to create office culture over a distance.