Op-ediots

Aresen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2019, 22:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:33
Painboy wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:47
Imperial president for me but not for thee
The Prospect has identified 30 meaningful executive actions, all derived from authority in specific statutes, which could be implemented on Day One by a new president. These would not be executive orders, much less abuses of authority, but strategic exercise of legitimate presidential power.

Without signing a single new law, the next president can lower prescription drug prices, cancel student debt, break up the big banks, give everybody who wants one a bank account, counteract the dominance of monopoly power, protect farmers from price discrimination and unfair dealing, force divestment from fossil fuel projects, close a slew of tax loopholes, hold crooked CEOs accountable, mandate reductions of greenhouse gas emissions, allow the effective legalization of marijuana, make it easier for 800,000 workers to join a union, and much, much more. We have compiled a series of essays to explain precisely how, and under what authority, the next president can accomplish all this.
Yeah, that was one of those things that makes me glad I'm not the sort of person to throw what I'm reading across the room (because I just got this phone some weeks back).

Of course, when it suits them, the president will still be mysteriously powerless to stop anything they don't really want to stop doing.
Actually, I think it is more they cannot conceive of those powers being used for evil (as they see evil). The Trump presidency is all a terrible aberration in their minds which will soon be righted and obviously never happen again.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Sep 2019, 23:20

Aresen wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:54
Eric the .5b wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:33
Painboy wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:47
Imperial president for me but not for thee
The Prospect has identified 30 meaningful executive actions, all derived from authority in specific statutes, which could be implemented on Day One by a new president. These would not be executive orders, much less abuses of authority, but strategic exercise of legitimate presidential power.

Without signing a single new law, the next president can lower prescription drug prices, cancel student debt, break up the big banks, give everybody who wants one a bank account, counteract the dominance of monopoly power, protect farmers from price discrimination and unfair dealing, force divestment from fossil fuel projects, close a slew of tax loopholes, hold crooked CEOs accountable, mandate reductions of greenhouse gas emissions, allow the effective legalization of marijuana, make it easier for 800,000 workers to join a union, and much, much more. We have compiled a series of essays to explain precisely how, and under what authority, the next president can accomplish all this.
Yeah, that was one of those things that makes me glad I'm not the sort of person to throw what I'm reading across the room (because I just got this phone some weeks back).

Of course, when it suits them, the president will still be mysteriously powerless to stop anything they don't really want to stop doing.
Actually, I think it is more they cannot conceive of those powers being used for evil (as they see evil). The Trump presidency is all a terrible aberration in their minds which will soon be righted and obviously never happen again.
Oh, definitely. That's absolutely the case. But the "powerless presidency" is a great place to retreat to when things aren't going so great for a Blue president.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Nov 2019, 16:58

OMG. I hope the comment about Jackson and the Battle of New Orleans is a joke because I’m not sure how a battle fought after the Treaty of Ghent was going to change the outcome of the war.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/11/ ... w-25-bill/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Nov 2019, 17:08

Mo wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 16:58
OMG. I hope the comment about Jackson and the Battle of New Orleans is a joke because I’m not sure how a battle fought after the Treaty of Ghent was going to change the outcome of the war.

This part is also great:
That move was scuttled under President Donald J. Trump, perhaps in an effort to reverse every policy that Obama implemented. Given that damn-near everything that Obama touched devolved into fertilizer, this impulse was entirely reasonable.
Um, Obama had his flaws, but Trumpies shouldn't be talking too loudly about a President turning things to shit, you know?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Nov 2019, 17:17

Sure he engaged in a little light genocide, but he didn't own that many slaves.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Dec 2019, 18:20

Mo wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 16:58

Didn't read the article, but there's an argument that the victory of US forces at New Orleans was important to having the treaty stick, having US and UK relations muddle on until the borders were finally fixed during the Polk admin.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex