Op-ediots

Mo

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 29 Mar 2019, 06:18

I know it's Slate, but ugh. In case you don't want to click the link, Homer has helpfully summarized the article.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Mar 2019, 07:20

"These are the remarks of someone whose affiliation with the gay community only goes so far as his own gay relationships, who can seemingly only conceive of homosexuality as a value-neutral or negative—certainly not positive—aside in a person’s biography"
That's my kind of homo.
There's a longer rant here, but the short version is that people like the author, who think that finding members of the same sex attractive entails a whole set of additional cultural requirements and a ready-made "identity," are cordially invited to choke on a bag of dicks. Or tits. Or whatever parts they find unpalatable.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 07:33

I wonder if she'd be equally disapproving of a politico who seemingly can only conceive of homosexuality as a value-neutral or negative—certainly not positive—aside in a person’s biography?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 07:36

FWIW, the piece is getting absolutely shredded in the comments.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Mar 2019, 07:39

Jennifer wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 07:33
I wonder if she'd be equally disapproving of a politico who seemingly can only conceive of homosexuality as a value-neutral or negative—certainly not positive—aside in a person’s biography?
She's talking about one of the Team Blue candidates for President. Her criticism, which is carefully masked as not-exactly-criticism, is essentially that he's not gay enough to represent gay people. Because after all, you're only really gay if you accept that liking the same sex means you have to stock up on Judy Garland tunes or Birkenstocks, as is appropriate for your gender. It's a sort of bigotry common among identity politics/SJW people.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 07:59

Number 6 wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 07:39
Jennifer wrote:
She's talking about one of the Team Blue candidates for President. Her criticism, which is carefully masked as not-exactly-criticism, is essentially that he's not gay enough to represent gay people. Because after all, you're only really gay if you accept that liking the same sex means you have to stock up on Judy Garland tunes or Birkenstocks, as is appropriate for your gender. It's a sort of bigotry common among identity politics/SJW people.
Yeah, I went and read the piece after reading that extra-stupid bit you quoted. This was a bit that struck me as particularly baffling (granted, I say this as someone who thinks her own personal heterosexuality is merely a value-neutral aspect of herself):
To me, a queer woman, it seems hard to argue that the presidential run of this apotheosis of respectability politics is a major win for diversity. Buttigieg’s perception of queer sexuality as a not-sinful but ultimately unimportant distinction—“like having brown hair,” his coming-out essay said—doesn’t make him less gay. It does, however, put some distance between him and the queer communities he’s getting credit for being the first to represent. And if I’m being cynical (or just honest), it probably makes him more electable.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Mar 2019, 07:59

Number 6 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
People did a bunch of that stuff about if Obama was "black enough" and I believe some journo, who is now working on the Sanders campaign, was "just asking" the same thing about Harris. Most of this bullshit is a way to take down a candidate that is not your preferred one without getting your hands dirty.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Mar 2019, 08:27

Mo wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 07:59
Number 6 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
People did a bunch of that stuff about if Obama was "black enough" and I believe some journo, who is now working on the Sanders campaign, was "just asking" the same thing about Harris. Most of this bullshit is a way to take down a candidate that is not your preferred one without getting your hands dirty.
It's also a big part of the orthodoxy among people who fetishize identity politics and intersectionality. They seem to think that being a part of a minority group means that you must accept a freight car full of cultural stuff that is related to whatever makes you a minority in that it's somehow part of the stereotype. Those stupid ancestry commercials where a person finds out that their third cousin twice removed once visited Berlin and quickly dress themselves in leiderhosen kind of illustrate the point. That sort of thing runs counter to my fundamentally individualist perspective, and is especially annoying personally, since there are those who think the fact that I can love a man means that I need to buy into a truckload of cultural stereotypes.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2019, 08:52

One more thing on the subject of republicans selling their ideas. They kind of have never believed they can sell their ideas without power granted by having a dominant cultural context. The see themselves as Dad or the town preacher or whoever it is who tells you all the un-fun stuff about restraint and work ethic and so forth. They think of the other team as Santa Claus. Of course in an open cultural context, free stuff is better than no free stuff. I think this is why conservatives feel so desperate at times in the culture wars. They think the minute there is no fear of dad and no fear of god it’s just an open debate between Scrooge and Santa.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Mar 2019, 09:11

They're Santa too.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2019, 10:14

Right, but that's not their narrative about themselves.

JD

Post by JD » 29 Mar 2019, 10:27

Number 6 wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 08:27
Those stupid ancestry commercials where a person finds out that their third cousin twice removed once visited Berlin and quickly dress themselves in leiderhosen
Lederhosen. Leiderhosen would be "pain pants" or "sorrow pants". (And Liederhosen, in case you're wondering, would be "song pants".)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Mar 2019, 10:34

Right, revealed preferences indicate that Republicans fucking love their welfare state.

Re: the Slate article: his name is Buttigeig, how much gayer can you get?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2019, 11:03

Hugh Akston wrote: Re: the Slate article: his name is Buttigeig, how much gayer can you get?
Scott Thompson?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 29 Mar 2019, 12:39

Mo wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 16:25
Jasper wrote:Truly awful.

Someone should write the conservative case for PR statehood.
Someone on NR did and that piece of crap was the response.

-- joke --->

Mo
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 31 Mar 2019, 17:47

Because this is the thread where the Federalist gets made fun of the most, I refuse to believe that DC McAllister got fired for homophobia, but that was the beard they used because she was mean to Meghan McCain. (Also, she wasn’t wrong about The View).

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2019, 08:58

If this article about his love for DMB was the evidence against Buttigieg being “gay enough” to be the first gay president, I would have considered the argument.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2003 ... is-week-i/

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Apr 2019, 18:24

WTF. One of the racist dudes at NR is claiming H1B holders aren’t useful immigrants because immigrant college grads don’t speak English as well as Americans. Also, companies that apply for H1B still hire to fill the slots. The last one is the true mark of someone who has never worked in the private sector with a set amount of FTEs that you can hire.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2019, 19:08

Graduates from Indian and Pakistani universities generally have a better command of English than the graduates of my veal farm.

Even the Chinese, despite their reputation for bad English, are improving. The same cannot be said for my veal farm.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 May 2019, 14:46

Oh look, Rahm Emmanuel joined the Atlantic and is writing about how the Democrats are the party of elites and need to focus on “justice”. Ctrl-F “Laquan” Ctrl-F “McDonald”. Hmmm zero hits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ge/589849/

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 May 2019, 18:11

Is he still the mayor of anything?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 May 2019, 18:18

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 May 2019, 18:11
Fuckheadtown?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 22 May 2019, 13:45

lunchstealer wrote:
21 May 2019, 18:18
Hugh Akston wrote:
21 May 2019, 18:11
Fuckheadtown?
Sister city of Flavortown?

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 May 2019, 16:54

Holy shit, Sohrab Ahmari is fucking nuts. Only he could think David French is a liberal.

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 May 2019, 18:02

Mo wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:54
Holy shit, Sohrab Ahmari is fucking nuts. Only he could think David French is a liberal.
Hahaha dude that thing was amazing
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex