Op-ediots

thoreau

Re: Op-ediots

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2018, 17:22

I dunno, there's something to be said for the person standing in between Trump and the launch codes.

But, yeah, most of them should be out there begging Congress to remove him.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 05 Sep 2018, 17:38

Except for the, I’m twiddling my thumbs for some tax cuts and fucking over Central Americans and Puerto Ricans. Also, I’m going to totally write a self-indulgent op-ed so that I can point to it and say, “See, sure I was aiding some vile stuff, but I was protecting us.” Also, using the constitution triggers a constitutional crisis.

Basically only Mattis or Haley can really credibly write it and come out looking good.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2018, 18:50

"Mike Pence" is currently trending on Twitter based on a belief that he wrote the op-ed; the main piece of evidence (based on my .2 nanoseconds of perusing the topic) is the word "lodestar" appearing in the op-ed AND in some previous speeches and writings of his.

EDIT: FWIW, a quick search of the archives suggests this post is the first time anybody here ever used that word; I doubt I ever wrote or even said it anywhere before today. A Google search brings back 2.6 million hits ... but the first page of results is mainly links to either the op-ed, or to articles theorizing that Pence wrote it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2018, 19:10

While that linguistic coincidence is interesting, one thing I'd want to know is if it's a popular word in certain fundamentalist Christian circles. If so, then it could also have been used by any number of other people in the administration (though many of them might be tied to Pence, and he might be quietly pleased by their op-ed).
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2018, 19:10

In all seriousness: just before I saw Pence trending and why, I did think "If I were ever in a situation where I was famous and wanted to publish something anonymously, I would write the column, and then I would give it to Jeff (or someone else I trusted equally well) and tell him "Please rewrite this for me -- the same ideas I mentioned here, but use your own words." And I'd say this specifically to reduce the possibility of anyone reading it and recognizing my writing style.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2018, 19:14

thoreau wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 19:10
While that linguistic coincidence is interesting, one thing I'd want to know is if it's a popular word in certain fundamentalist Christian circles. If so, then it could also have been used by any number of other people in the administration (though many of them might be tied to Pence, and he might be quietly pleased by their op-ed).
First page of search results for "lodestar" and "Jesus" includes a "Lodestar Ministries," a Mormon sermon titled "Let love be the lodestar of your life," and several theology articles referring to Jesus as the lodestar of Christians. 71,900 hits for "lodestar" and "Jesus" in all.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2018, 19:17

So if it isn't Pence then it is very likely someone chosen on the recommendation of Pence, not Trump or Putin.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Sep 2018, 19:28

Mo wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 17:20
I am not sure the anonymous WH staffer that wrote the NYT op ed comes off as noble as s/he thinks s/he actually is.
I just read the damn thing. Even though I mostly agree with his* points about Trump's erratic statements and behavior, the writer comes across like a grade-school snitch. Man up, come forward and get specific.

*I assume the writer is male. I don't know of any women in senior positions in the White House and Trump doesn't strike me as a person who would tolerate the presence of any female capable of independent thought.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Sep 2018, 19:30

thoreau wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 17:22
I dunno, there's something to be said for the person standing in between Trump and the launch codes.
*Envisions Mike Pence throwing himself on the Football*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2018, 19:39

Of course, "lodestar" could just as easily be someone else's way of deflecting "suspicion" onto Pence and away from the actual anonymous writer.

Regardless of who wrote it, I agree this person is not coming across as nobly as he intended (especially if it IS Pence, who stands to gain much if Trump is impeached or 25th-amendmented). "I know Trump is bad for our democracy and our country, but -- well, at least he got some tax cuts through!"

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Sep 2018, 19:46

Jennifer wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 19:39
Of course, "lodestar" could just as easily be someone else's way of deflecting "suspicion" onto Pence and away from the actual anonymous writer.
I think it is more likely that the word was batted around the West Wing enough that it became part of the common vocabulary.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2018, 20:02

Jennifer wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 19:39
That requires not just a certain level of intelligence, but some care and time in going through Pence's speeches. Possible, but I'm not convinced.

I think the real messages of this op-ed are:
1) "Don't worry, Republican voters who are on the fence, there are grown-ups who will make sure you get tax cuts and de-regulation, but we won't let him rage-tweet the world into a nuclear war. At least not until Space Force has built off-world bases where we can ride out the nuclear winter."
2) "Hey, Republican voters who are nowhere near being on the fence, there's a Deep State Conspiracy between Dear Leader's own people and the Failing New York Times! Better get out and vote Republican to put a stop to it!"
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2018, 20:07

Of course, assuming the NYT was thorough in its vetting -- thorough enough to not knowingly allow any lies into the piece, not even lies intended to protect the writer's identity -- the writer CAN'T be Pence, because Pence is not someone who can be fired if Trump gets mad at him. I suspect the most likely explanation is Aresen's theory: the word is relatively commonplace among Trump staffers, even if rare among everyone else.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2018, 20:28

Well, even the NYT can't be sure who wrote it. They can only know who offered it to them.

It wouldn't be shocking if Pence has told some underlings that "I've spoken with Mother and she agrees: It's time to move to Phase Two!"
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Sep 2018, 20:41

“Lodestar” is such an unusual word it was used in a second NYt column today: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opin ... voice.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2018, 20:58

David Frum says this was a bad idea because showing Trump the brakes means taking the brakes off: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... edit-promo

Goddamn this piece of shit for making me nod in agreement with David fucking Frum...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Sep 2018, 20:59

*sigh* You guys couldn't be more wrong. Lodestar is an archaic term for the North Star, also known as Polaris. That star is part of the constellation Ursa Minor, or "Little Bear". Little Bear was a CBC children's series airing from the mid 90s to the early aughts, based on books illustrated by (((Maurice Sendak))). Sendak also illustrated a book called In the Night Kitchen, which features a naked child flying a plane made of dough into a building full of white milk, which he then uses to bake a cake. Clearly this is a signal from within the Trump Administration that they are on to the Jewish pedophile conspiracy to profit off of 9/11 and the subsequent white genocide. Trump's tax cuts and trade barriers are the only weapons he has to head off the rapidly culminating destruction of America's core culture.

It's staring you right in the face and you don't even see it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Sep 2018, 21:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 20:59
*sigh* You guys couldn't be more wrong. Lodestar is an archaic term for the North Star, also known as Polaris. That star is part of the constellation Ursa Minor, or "Little Bear". Little Bear was a CBC children's series airing from the mid 90s to the early aughts, based on books illustrated by (((Maurice Sendak))). Sendak also illustrated a book called In the Night Kitchen, which features a naked child flying a plane made of dough into a building full of white milk, which he then uses to bake a cake. Clearly this is a signal from within the Trump Administration that they are on to the Jewish pedophile conspiracy to profit off of 9/11 and the subsequent white genocide. Trump's tax cuts and trade barriers are the only weapons he has to head off the rapidly culminating destruction of America's core culture.

It's staring you right in the face and you don't even see it.
CBC? You mean, Justin Trudeau was behind the whole thing?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Sep 2018, 23:02

let me off the Q train

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Sep 2018, 23:07

All this time Trump was bitching about a Deep State conspiracy to usurp him, and it turns out he was right, except, rather than being bureaucrats doing it, it was his appointees.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Sep 2018, 23:12

Shem wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 23:07
All this time Trump was bitching about a Deep State conspiracy to usurp him, and it turns out he was right, except, rather than being bureaucrats doing it, it was his appointees.
The closer you get to him, the worse he looks.

I wondered if the reason for Kudlow's heart attack was that he was ordered to make the "Trudeau stabbed us in the back" remark when he knew it was BS.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2018, 02:52

Senior administration official is sufficiently vague that it could be Pence’s comms director.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 06 Sep 2018, 07:17

Hugh Alston is like The Lions' Club, giving all us poor fools glasses so we can see.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Sep 2018, 10:09

Shem wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 23:07
Wait, I thought it was a "senior official". I don't think that is necessarily one of his appointees.
Aresen wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 23:12
The closer you get to him, the worse he looks.
If by "worse" you mean pathetic and comical, then yes.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2018, 11:18

One and two levels down from cabinet are still appointees. I have a friend that was a GWB nominee when he was in his mid-20s.