Op-ediots

dhex

Re: Op-ediots

Post by dhex » 11 Mar 2018, 20:02

Oh dang. What a fuck face.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Mar 2018, 13:01

This is some quality axe-grinding against development in Southern Florida, barely tangentially related to the bridge collapse. And let's complain about cable-stayed bridges with relation to suspension bridges.

It will be exceedingly rare for anyone to build a suspension bridge from now (or even from, say, the year 2000). Cable-stayed bridges are far more efficient in just about every way, and since there are now materials that they can be built from, there's no reason to do suspension bridges.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Mar 2018, 01:35

Highway wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 13:01
This is some quality axe-grinding against development in Southern Florida, barely tangentially related to the bridge collapse. And let's complain about cable-stayed bridges with relation to suspension bridges.

It will be exceedingly rare for anyone to build a suspension bridge from now (or even from, say, the year 2000). Cable-stayed bridges are far more efficient in just about every way, and since there are now materials that they can be built from, there's no reason to do suspension bridges.
Zip it Highway. This is all your fault.

I tried to warn you. I was all like, We need to get in front of this before someone gets hurt. Nip it in the bud I said.
But you were all like, Just let it go, what could possibly go wrong?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Mar 2018, 09:17

Warren wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 01:35
Highway wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 13:01

Zip it Highway. This is all your fault.

I tried to warn you. I was all like, We need to get in front of this before someone gets hurt. Nip it in the bud I said.
But you were all like, Just let it go, what could possibly go wrong?
Psh, if they'd built it like that, there wouldn't have been a problem. But noooo, they had to be all concretey and spanny.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Mar 2018, 15:39

David French seems to think that we need to give warmongers a chance because we never give them a chance. Also, it’s hilarious how he thinks that the reason for ISIS is insufficient hawkishness as opposed to a result of the Iraq War.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Mar 2018, 11:05

Winning a nuclear war with Russia is like winning a knife fight 7-5.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ith-russia
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Mar 2018, 11:46

Mo wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 11:05
Winning a nuclear war with Russia is like winning a knife fight 7-5.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ith-russia
In a nuclear war with Russia, U.S. victory would remain the most likely outcome. That's primarily because the U.S. has better potential to get more nuclear warheads onto Russian targets than Russia could get onto U.S. targets.
I once read Herman Kahn's "On Thermonuclear War". That article is a new version of the same abstract intellectual idiocy. The only purpose of having nukes is to ensure the other guy dies too if he tries to use his - the MAD doctrine. (Or, if you are a minor power like North Korea, make the cost of hitting you too high.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 Mar 2018, 23:31

It's a better article than the clickbait headline suggests, but I'm not about to white knight for 1) the Washington Examiner or 2) anything that puts Crimson Tide in a favorable light.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2018, 10:02

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2018, 10:13

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Apr 2018, 10:34

In the meantime, white South Africans should be offering their energies (and for farmers, some of their land) to help find solutions. This will help secure their future in the country. Whereas attempts to defend their privilege could well lead to the loss of everything they own—an important lesson from Zimbabwe in the early 2000s.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Apr 2018, 11:20

an important lesson from Zimbabwe in the early 2000s.

I wonder if anyone else might have learned any lessons from Zimbabwe? Anyone? Bueller?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2018, 11:51

dead_elvis wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:20

I wonder if anyone else might have learned any lessons from Zimbabwe? Anyone? Bueller?
Right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Apr 2018, 12:01

Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:51
dead_elvis wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:20

Right?
Hard not to see emulating Zimbabwe as the ultimate in burning down your house to spite your face.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Apr 2018, 12:11

dead_elvis wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 12:01
Hard not to see emulating Zimbabwe as the ultimate in burning down your house to spite your face.
Agrarian populism is one of those bad ideas that never seems to die. However, I think the thumbnail of the author explains the stupidity here:
Professor Ben Cousins holds a DST/NRF Research Chair in Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies at the University of the Western Cape.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Apr 2018, 14:06

Redstate is purging those that do not support Trump.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 27 Apr 2018, 14:15

Mo wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:06
MAGA hats for some, pink slips for others.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Apr 2018, 20:11

Mo wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:06
I can hardly wait till they get to the point of purging the ones who stopped applauding first.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 May 2018, 14:28

The latest Ross Douchehat column:

1. By the reaction I've seen on twitter, I suspect a great many people outraged by his column actually didn't read it.

2. Hey Ross, how about instead of robots, we decriminalize sex work? You do know your personal hero hung out with a whore, right?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 May 2018, 17:22

Pretty sure Ross doesn't want sex robots or sex work.

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 May 2018, 17:55

no i don't wanna read a ross column no i said no no i said no

ahhhhhhhhhh

eh it was, oddly enough, fairly masturbatory. not ridiculous, but not not ridiculous either.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 May 2018, 19:12

It's complete horseshit. People being more able to get a thing is like asserting a positive right to that thing.
Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 17:22
Moreover, he wildly confuses "the freedom of people to agree to have sex for money" with "a right of any given person to have sex on demand". Sex workers have every right to refuse service at their discretion. Legalization of prostitution or (non-batshit insane) regulation of prostitution isn't going to provide incels mandatory fucking. I'm sure many of those guys give off the creepy-abuser or potential-serial-killer vibes that make sex workers say they suddenly have to leave, coughing and saying their herpagonasyphilaids is acting up.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 May 2018, 19:45

the comparison he's trying to tout as something worth considering from the fringes because something something something i dunno mang would almost kinda sorta make sense were it not someone else's body involved. e.g. demanding money from others for xyz is akin to demanding sex from others for xyz because something something something i dunno mang.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 May 2018, 19:48

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 May 2018, 19:12
It's complete horseshit. People being more able to get a thing is like asserting a positive right to that thing.
Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 17:22
Moreover, he wildly confuses "the freedom of people to agree to have sex for money" with "a right of any given person to have sex on demand". Sex workers have every right to refuse service at their discretion. Legalization of prostitution or (non-batshit insane) regulation of prostitution isn't going to provide incels mandatory fucking. I'm sure many of those guys give off the creepy-abuser or potential-serial-killer vibes that make sex workers say they suddenly have to leave, coughing and saying their herpagonasyphilaids is acting up.
Maybe not mandatory fucking but maybe sex vouchers for the visually disadvantaged?* Useable at any governement approved and regulated house of ill repute or robosex shops.

*Or would that be visibly disadvantaged?

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 May 2018, 20:29

visibly. unless you're running on a "free sex for blind people" platform.

in which case that'd be a sight to see.