Op-ediots

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9411
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Sandy » 17 Aug 2017, 12:09

My question about VDH is...

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Op-ediots

Post by the innominate one » 17 Aug 2017, 13:36

Yet few seem to care that West Coast conglomerates such as Amazon, Apple, Google, and Starbucks filtered hundreds of billions in global profits through tax havens such as Bermuda, shorting the United States billions of dollars in income taxes.
Pretty sure tax havens are one of the loopholes liberals complain about.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 17 Aug 2017, 14:46

He also didn't need to leave his own magazine to find out that liberals criticize these companies.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ck-silicon
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Op-ediots

Post by the innominate one » 17 Aug 2017, 15:05

Thanks. I don't read the National Review, and apparently he doesn't either.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17776
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Op-ediots

Post by dbcooper » 20 Aug 2017, 21:39

Why does the NY Times publish so many anti free speech op-eds?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 8940
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Aug 2017, 21:47

VDH's definition of progressivism must be limited to "okay with gays and browns (theoretically)."
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 21 Aug 2017, 10:22

Wat?!
From a historical point of view, it’s almost convincing, even though what American blacks suffered under segregation was nothing compared to what liberalism has inflicted on them since the 1950s, as it destroyed their families, their schools, and their young men and women’s lives through drugs and guns and the gangster-rap culture “lifestyle,” which is really a death style.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21014
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Op-ediots

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2017, 10:25

That is maybe the dumbest thing ever written in English.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17001
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Aug 2017, 10:27

Rap music? More like Crap music!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7630
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Op-ediots

Post by nicole » 21 Aug 2017, 10:50

Sadly it's not even the dumbest thing written in that column.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21014
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Op-ediots

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2017, 10:58

I meant the column as a whole.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 07 Sep 2017, 17:00

If you're going to be such a partisan hack, at least try not to describe the same behavior so differently in consecutive sentences. At the very least, throw a paragraph break in there.
George W. Bush didn’t pay much attention to his media coverage, confident that history would get it right and unwilling to let consuming media divert his attention from more important things. Barack Obama had an Olympian disregard for political punditry, the same way he had an Olympian disregard for many things.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21855
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Warren » 07 Sep 2017, 17:28

Mo wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 17:00
If you're going to be such a partisan hack, at least try not to describe the same behavior so differently in consecutive sentences. At the very least, throw a paragraph break in there.
George W. Bush didn’t pay much attention to his media coverage, confident that history would get it right and unwilling to let consuming media divert his attention from more important things. Barack Obama had an Olympian disregard for political punditry, the same way he had an Olympian disregard for many things.
I like the implication that history will smile upon W.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13133
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Aresen » 07 Sep 2017, 19:34

Warren wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 17:28
Mo wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 17:00
If you're going to be such a partisan hack, at least try not to describe the same behavior so differently in consecutive sentences. At the very least, throw a paragraph break in there.
George W. Bush didn’t pay much attention to his media coverage, confident that history would get it right and unwilling to let consuming media divert his attention from more important things. Barack Obama had an Olympian disregard for political punditry, the same way he had an Olympian disregard for many things.
I like the implication that history will smile upon W.
We have to find our laughs where we can.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 05 Oct 2017, 10:50

This strikes me as a horrifically terrible idea. Making the Fed an explicitly political organization would only accelerate, rather than decelerate a loss of credibility as well as granting of the benefit of the doubt when taking action and the actions will begin to be viewed as explicitly for the benefit of the current administration, rather than higher minded goals. Fed Chief Ben Bernanke, Republican, is going to get wide berth from Democrats. Fed Chair Larry Kudlow, Republican, will not.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21855
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Warren » 05 Oct 2017, 11:06

Mo wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:50
This strikes me as a horrifically terrible idea. Making the Fed an explicitly political organization would only accelerate, rather than decelerate a loss of credibility as well as granting of the benefit of the doubt when taking action and the actions will begin to be viewed as explicitly for the benefit of the current administration, rather than higher minded goals. Fed Chief Ben Bernanke, Republican, is going to get wide berth from Democrats. Fed Chair Larry Kudlow, Republican, will not.
Fed Chief Robert Reich, Democrat *shudder* uh huh uh huh uh huh uh.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21014
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Op-ediots

Post by JasonL » 05 Oct 2017, 11:18

The tide of politicization continues to roll in. Life really was better when everyone in the neoliberal consensus effectively marginalized kooks in the public sphere. Remember when it was an embarrassment to proclaim yourself a socialist? Remember when you had to pretend to care about disaster victims instead of mocking them or when playing footsie with white nationalists was the end of your political career? Yeah, seems so long ago.
Last edited by JasonL on 05 Oct 2017, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12618
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Kolohe » 05 Oct 2017, 11:18

I think the title is being a bit unfair to Cowen's point. If you want to protect the prerogatives and independence of your institution, you cannot exclusively operate on an ethereal technocractic plane, completely unattached from any other power structures that surround your institution. You should operate *mostly* like this, but you need also the sense of when you should bend, so you do not break.

For example, when Roberts didn't actually gut Obamacare.

Now, I think Yellen is perfectly capable of handling this dynamic correctly, and Gary Cohn is not, so that's Cowen is definitely wrong there, but his central thesis (at least the way I'm reading it) is valid.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21855
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Warren » 05 Oct 2017, 11:39

Kolohe wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:18
For example, when Roberts didn't actually gut Obamacare.
Wait. Do I understand you to be saying that was a good thing for civilization?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21014
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Op-ediots

Post by JasonL » 05 Oct 2017, 11:44

I would have that take - that's its better long run for SCOTUS not to do that, as well.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Mo » 05 Oct 2017, 12:38

Kolohe wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:18
I think the title is being a bit unfair to Cowen's point. If you want to protect the prerogatives and independence of your institution, you cannot exclusively operate on an ethereal technocractic plane, completely unattached from any other power structures that surround your institution. You should operate *mostly* like this, but you need also the sense of when you should bend, so you do not break.

For example, when Roberts didn't actually gut Obamacare.

Now, I think Yellen is perfectly capable of handling this dynamic correctly, and Gary Cohn is not, so that's Cowen is definitely wrong there, but his central thesis (at least the way I'm reading it) is valid.
But the way you're reading it is completely unremarkable because that's the way the Fed (or frankly any agency) has always worked. Frankly, when the Fed has gotten political in the past is when it screwed up (e.g. Greenspan's, "We need to cut taxes to trim the surplus") and one of the most successful Fed actions was anti-political and purely technocratic (Volcker backing the back of inflation through high interest rates). Monetary policy has been a political football in the US at least going back to the Free Silver movement.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12618
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Kolohe » 05 Oct 2017, 14:11

It is possible that Cowen's point is rather trivial and obvious, but it's also not advocating for a political hack to be Fed Chair.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21855
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Op-ediots

Post by Warren » 05 Oct 2017, 15:17

JasonL wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:44
I would have that take - that's its better long run for SCOTUS not to do that, as well.
It the ONE JOB the SCOTUS has.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17464
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Op-ediots

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Oct 2017, 15:33

As Mr. Dooley says, "The Supreme Court follows the election returns."

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.



User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24445
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Op-ediots

Post by thoreau » 05 Oct 2017, 18:23

If the rest of the modern administrative, regulatory, and welfare state is going to be allowed under the current interpretation of the law, then there's really no room to disallow ACA.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests