Occam, Trump, and Russia

Kolohe

Re: Occam, Trump, and Russia

Post by Kolohe » 19 Feb 2018, 12:20

thoreau wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 21:10
Another person from the Trump campaign is about to plead guilty and testify against Manafort:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html

I wonder if that's part of why Trump was so grumpy on Twitter this weekend.
yo dawg I heard you like gates so we put some gates in your -gate.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Feb 2018, 18:52

Kolohe wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 12:20
thoreau wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 21:10
Another person from the Trump campaign is about to plead guilty and testify against Manafort:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html

I wonder if that's part of why Trump was so grumpy on Twitter this weekend.
yo dawg I heard you like gates so we put some gates in your -gate.
Hahaha!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Feb 2018, 09:45

Popehat is a national treasure.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Feb 2018, 15:26

Mo wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 09:45

I've long since realized "See how you like it" has zero persuasive power. When our team does it, it's doing God's work. When the other side does it, they are the evil minions of Satan. Every time.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Feb 2018, 17:20

Warren wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 15:26
Mo wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 09:45

I've long since realized "See how you like it" has zero persuasive power. When our team does it, it's doing God's work. When the other side does it, they are the evil minions of Satan. Every time.
Yeah, the Reds are in full 'he's-doing-it-because-politics-he's-a-sekrit-libtard' mode, so they don't want reforms of the system to make misconduct harder or protect everyone against it. They want to purge the ideologically impure and leave it just as abusive as before but in their control.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Feb 2018, 08:35

Nothing has persuasive power. The only thing that used to have persuasive power was shame. We live in a post shame world where the people get what they want - technological, media, academic and social forces aligning to make any retarded view in the world socially acceptable. While gotcha can be unfair, there is no gotcha if nobody cares what I did yesterday as long as I insult the other team. Just make up a conspiracy to explain it away. SMOD is our only hope.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Feb 2018, 09:53

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 17:20
Yeah, the Reds are in full 'he's-doing-it-because-politics-he's-a-sekrit-libtard' mode, so they don't want reforms of the system to make misconduct harder or protect everyone against it. They want to purge the ideologically impure and leave it just as abusive as before but in their control.
What I have never been able to comprehend is the conviction held on both sides that the other side will never gain office and use those 'extraordinary-but-necessary' powers against them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Feb 2018, 10:08

Aresen wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 09:53
lunchstealer wrote:
What I have never been able to comprehend is the conviction held on both sides that the other side will never gain office and use those 'extraordinary-but-necessary' powers against them.
I use to think that. But now I think that conviction is rather weak. They fantasize about holding power forever, but if pressed they know the other, evil, side will cheat their way back into power. And when they do everything they do will be evil and the powers that their side uses for good will be used for evil. So their side HAS to have that power. Authority doesn't oppress people, people oppress people.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Feb 2018, 18:24

Aresen wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
If you're in full manichean-conflict mode, you expect the other side to violate all the rules as soon as they take power. "We should behave in the hopes that the other people will behave in the future" sounds laughably naive, and "do unto others before they can do unto you" sounds compelling.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 25 Feb 2018, 20:17

Jadagul wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 18:24
Aresen wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
If you're in full manichean-conflict mode, you expect the other side to violate all the rules as soon as they take power. "We should behave in the hopes that the other people will behave in the future" sounds laughably naive, and "do unto others before they can do unto you" sounds compelling.
I was thinking of saying that. (Albeit probably not as well.) So, this.

Though what Warren said too, particularly his last sentence, which is actually fairly compatible. To be fair, I do know one Red (and I don't know many) who was recently talking about adding protections to FISA, but certainly Red politicians will certainly get most mileage out of blaming Obama (and vice versa)....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Feb 2018, 20:52

It seems pretty obvious. Nunes went from freaking out about the Obama administration unmasking people to complaining that American citizens weren't being unnecessarily unmasked in a FISA warrant in less than 2 months.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Feb 2018, 23:38

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... adfe06e0a2

Could someone who is not Thoreau explain this to me? What the fuck did I just read a minute ago?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Feb 2018, 00:52

1) What the fuck did I do?

2) Not that it matters because I don't understand this one either.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Feb 2018, 01:00

Anyway, if they keep removing Trump's name from buildings then where will people go to defecate in public?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Feb 2018, 10:17

thoreau wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 00:52
1) What the fuck did I do?
Poor joke. On my part.

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Mar 2018, 06:45

The story about the Trump backchannel with Russia also confirms a CNN story about Mooch that they fired 3 reporters over

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Mar 2018, 06:47

The story about the Trump backchannel with Russia also confirms a CNN story about Mooch that they fired 3 reporters over

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 17:55

What's up with the double posts Mo?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Mar 2018, 19:11

Warren wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 17:55
What's up with the double posts Mo?
Faster rise to the 'elite poster' level.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Mar 2018, 20:43

Poor Donny from Queens. In 2013 he tried really, really hard to meet with Putin, but he got friend-zoned:
Putin very much wanted to meet Trump. But there was a problem nobody had anticipated: a Moscow traffic jam. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands were in town, and Putin was obligated to meet them at the Kremlin. But the royal couple had gotten stuck in traffic and was late, making it impossible for the Russian president to find time for Trump. Nor would he be able to attend the Miss Universe pageant that evening.
As near as I can tell, the Dutch king and queen met with Putin on Friday, the day before the pageant. On the day of the pageant itself, the royals visited an art gallery; met with Dutch and Russian CEOs to discuss “strengthening trade between the two countries”; and then attended an evening concert, where a pair of activists pelted them with tomatoes. I can find no evidence that they met with Putin that day at all, let alone that a traffic jam held them up. So not only was Putin insulting Trump with a phony excuse, he made sure it was an excuse that was really obviously phony unless you’re an idiot.
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... ald-trump/
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Mar 2018, 20:54

Right now, I am pretty sure New York would prefer to be 'Nieuw Amsterdam' under the Dutch monarchy.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Mar 2018, 22:40

thoreau wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:43
Poor Donny from Queens. In 2013 he tried really, really hard to meet with Putin, but he got friend-zoned:
Putin very much wanted to meet Trump. But there was a problem nobody had anticipated: a Moscow traffic jam. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands were in town, and Putin was obligated to meet them at the Kremlin. But the royal couple had gotten stuck in traffic and was late, making it impossible for the Russian president to find time for Trump. Nor would he be able to attend the Miss Universe pageant that evening.
As near as I can tell, the Dutch king and queen met with Putin on Friday, the day before the pageant. On the day of the pageant itself, the royals visited an art gallery; met with Dutch and Russian CEOs to discuss “strengthening trade between the two countries”; and then attended an evening concert, where a pair of activists pelted them with tomatoes. I can find no evidence that they met with Putin that day at all, let alone that a traffic jam held them up. So not only was Putin insulting Trump with a phony excuse, he made sure it was an excuse that was really obviously phony unless you’re an idiot.
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... ald-trump/
Fuck that is brutal. Don't make me feel feelings dammit!

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Mar 2018, 14:37

Meanwhile, the Brits are dealing with a Russian nerve agent attack on their soil, and surely they're wondering how they can safely share information with the White House right now:
“It is now clear that Mr. Skripal and his daughter were poisoned with a military-grade nerve agent of a type developed by Russia,” Mrs. May said in the House of Commons. “The government has concluded that it is highly likely that Russia was responsible for the act against Sergei and Yulia Skripal.”

She said that either the poisoning was a “direct act of the Russian state against our country” or that Moscow had lost control of its nerve agent and had allowed it to get into the hands of others. The prime minister said the government had summoned the Russian ambassador to demand an explanation, and that Britain expected a response from Russia by the end of the day on Tuesday.

“Should there be no credible response, we will conclude that this action amounts to an unlawful use of force by the Russian state against the United Kingdom, and I will come back to this House and set out the full range of measures we will take in response,” Mrs. May said.

“We shall not tolerate such a brazen act to murder innocent civilians on our soil.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/12/worl ... oning.html
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2018, 14:57

I'll believe that they won't tolerate it when I see it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/fro ... itish-soil

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Mar 2018, 15:00

Mo wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 14:57
I'll believe that they won't tolerate it when I see it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/fro ... itish-soil
Sure, I doubt they'll take the drastic actions that they're blustering about in public right now. But I assume (hope?) they'll at least try to act behind-the-scenes. And that won't be easy if they can't trust a putative ally to not blab to Russia.
--Shem