Occam, Trump, and Russia

Kolohe

Re: Occam, Trump, and Russia

Post by Kolohe » 20 Jan 2018, 20:22

This is my rifle this is gun this is for lobbying this is for fun.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2018, 11:07

Russian bots sure like to amplify Donaldik's talking points.

http://www.newsweek.com/schumershutdown ... mer-786784
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jan 2018, 15:43

Motion to replace Twitter boys with Robot Jox.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Jan 2018, 17:40

😂😂😂
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Jan 2018, 17:53

Does she know any more anal-oriented sex workers working the Trump administration?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jan 2018, 20:59

nicole wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:40

😂😂😂
she and rush should do a daytime talk show called "fuck everything drink your dmt shelby"
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2018, 23:33

dhex wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 20:59
nicole wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:40

😂😂😂
she and rush should do a daytime talk show called "fuck everything drink your dmt shelby"
Steel Magnolias?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Jan 2018, 14:20

Steel don't meltnolias
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Jan 2018, 22:35

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... tan-366920

This is gonna feed some conspiracy theories for the next few decades.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jan 2018, 13:27

Kolohe wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 22:35
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... tan-366920

This is gonna feed some conspiracy theories for the next few decades.
Glenn Selig, 49, was in Kabul on business related to his Florida public relations firm ...
What more do you need to know?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Jan 2018, 20:26

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Jan 2018, 20:40

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 25 Jan 2018, 22:27

Hah, I heard about this before jumping on the train, but... in June? So, what, a few weeks after Mueller was appointed? Jesus.

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jan 2018, 22:52

Yeah, that’s definitely the best part.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Jan 2018, 23:30

Wait, okay.

I'd gotten this story confused with the one about Wray threatening to quit over attempts to fire McCabe, and didn't realize this was a different story.

The fat that that sort of confusion is possible is itself a little concerning.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jan 2018, 02:54

The Dutch tipped off US intelligence about the Russians:

https://www.volkskrant.nl/tech/dutch-ag ... ~a4561913/
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 07:21

MJGreen wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 22:27
Hah, I heard about this before jumping on the train, but... in June? So, what, a few weeks after Mueller was appointed? Jesus.
That's a totally normal way for innocent people to react to an investigation that can only exonerate them, since they're innocent and have nothing to do with Russia. There was no collusion, except possibly by Killary Klinton.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Jan 2018, 08:30

TBF Trump has either fired, or threatened to fire, everyone in his administration at one time or another.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 08:53

To be fair, Trump also touted his abilities as a businessman and claimed he only hired the best people.

To also be fair, one good thing that has been the direct result of actions taken by this administration: DeVos rescinded the Title IX Dear Colleague guidance letter from the Obama administration.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jan 2018, 08:59

rescinding the dear colleague letter without anything to replace it was less than helpful. and what it means in practice is everyone is still largely following the dear colleague guidelines.

i would like to see them re-written in a sensible way, but "do whatevs" is what got the dear colleague letter sent in the first place.

devos is, shockingly, in way over her head on this.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 09:42

No doubt she's in way over her head. She always will be, especially as she took a position she wasn't qualified for at an agency she was actively hostile to. She's not going to get much cooperation or assistance.

Was the situation prior to the letter "do whatevs"? That's not my understanding. I'll have to look back at what training materials I was given, but I thought they were using a standard in between "beyond reasonable doubt" and "preponderance of the evidence". They should revert to the prior standard. If they continue to use the DCL standard, they should face consequences, doubly so if they screw up someone's academic career as a result. University administrators shouldn't be handling criminal investigations in any case. Have a lawyer and / or P.I. do it.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jan 2018, 10:16

by what i mean with "do whatevs" is that the ocr started receiving student/parent complaints beginning in the late 90s/early 2000s that followed a template:

1) xyz crime happened to me/my student
2) procedures communicated to students were followed
3) school admins/staff either a) did nothing b) did nothing and told me it was my fault or c) suspended student briefly before reinstating them [generally complaints involving athletes, or less frequently, frats]
4) schools then lied on cleary reporting by using wishy washy standards of what counts as a "crime"
5) most of 3 and 4 were in violation of either letter or spirit of 92 campus sex assault prevention bill (which has an official name i cannot recall right now)
6) bad things result for complainant (social sanction, bullying, leaving school, suicide attempts, etc)

Once you get to a few hundred of these cases and you see the same pattern across campuses, you start to think something's there. and to make it better/worse, the vast majority of complaints were coming from certain sets of larger/richer institutions, either with a strong d1 tradition (or boosting program) or a longstanding frat culture.

that said, the current system is garbage and results in a lot of garbage. but it's the result of decades of garbage in the other direction. i think it's an overcorrection, but i have zero faith that anyone who's even anywhere near trump will have a solution that's not completely garbage as well.

i'm not sure there is a full solution, mind you, but there's gotta be something better than preponderance. you can't get rid of the honor board/judicial board system entirely because there needs to be mechanisms for sanction and removal. and coming up with a hard and fast rule for students accused of crimes, as well as those accused and in investigation by law enforcement, is difficult - if not impossible.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jan 2018, 10:18

mind you, and i could go on for hours, but ban frats/force coed frats and dismantle your male sports teams and you eliminate most of the campus sexual assault problem.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Jan 2018, 10:32

I've always been all-in on no official sanction or financial support for the Greek system and elimination of college athletic teams, for unrelated reasons (i.e. my philosophy of the ideal academy). Reducing sexual assaults is yet another good reason.

Until that day arrives, parents should encourage defensive behaviour in their daughters going off to college, like avoiding alcohol and frat parties.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Jan 2018, 10:52

Oh Federalist writers. Going with the Sideshow Bob defense.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex