Occam, Trump, and Russia

thoreau

Re: Occam, Trump, and Russia

Post by thoreau » 01 Feb 2019, 16:07

DUPLICATE POST DELETED
Last edited by thoreau on 01 Feb 2019, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Feb 2019, 16:08

Mo wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 15:58
More than anything, I think we can be glad that Trump has given John Bolton the freedom to pull out of every anti-proliferation treaty he can get his hands on.
As a former high school debater, I could take down Trump in a heartbeat with a nuke war disad. Solvency would flow negative and that's game over. (Not to mention that his speaker points would be terrible. I once medaled for speaker points.)
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 01 Feb 2019, 18:36

thoreau wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 16:07
DUPLICATE POST DELETED
You do know you can just delete your own post as long as it's the most recent one, right?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Feb 2019, 18:48

tl;dr I was in a hurry, hit the wrong button a few times while trying to edit the first post, wound up replying to myself, so the first post was no longer the most recent one.
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Feb 2019, 20:42

thoreau wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 18:48
tl;dr I was in a hurry, hit the wrong button a few times while trying to edit the first post, wound up replying to myself, so the first post was no longer the most recent one.
But you could've deleted the second post.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Feb 2019, 21:06

Look, I was in a hurry and not thinking and when I came back another post had been made.
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Feb 2019, 23:39

thoreau wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 21:06
Look, I was in a hurry and not thinking and when I came back another post had been made.
You are taking up valuable posts!

You are a Bolshevik!!! YOU ARE A TRAITOR!!!!!!111oneone.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Feb 2019, 23:53

Can we just smash the state and go home now?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Feb 2019, 00:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 23:39
thoreau wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 21:06
You are taking up valuable posts!

You are a Bolshevik!!! YOU ARE A TRAITOR!!!!!!111oneone.
I did see him lurking in my washroom...

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 02 Feb 2019, 06:13

Aresen wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 23:53
Can we just smash the state and go home now?
Sounds good to me.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 03 Feb 2019, 00:38

thoreau wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 16:08
Mo wrote:
More than anything, I think we can be glad that Trump has given John Bolton the freedom to pull out of every anti-proliferation treaty he can get his hands on.
As a former high school debater, I could take down Trump in a heartbeat with a nuke war disad. Solvency would flow negative and that's game over. (Not to mention that his speaker points would be terrible. I once medaled for speaker points.)
Oh, a team debate guy. (He says with LD smugness.)
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2019, 01:08

Number 6 wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 00:38
thoreau wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 16:08
Mo wrote:
Oh, a team debate guy. (He says with LD smugness.)
*nods and raises a drink*

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Feb 2019, 02:21

So you guys 'bated competitively in high school?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2019, 03:35

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 02:21
And Thoreau needed help.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Feb 2019, 10:29

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 02:21
Only when we knew the gym teacher was busy elsewhere.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Feb 2019, 11:54

We're fine. Everything's fine here. How are you?
“He thought that North Korea did not have the capability to launch such missiles,” McCabe writes. “He said he knew this because Vladimir Putin had told him so.”

Trump has met repeatedly with Putin in unusually secretive circumstances, barring other American officials from attending and leaving no recording of the discussion. Putin has apparently influenced Trump’s thinking on North Korea in other ways. Last year, the Wall Street Journal reported, as an aside within a somewhat light story about how to persuade Trump, that Trump wanted to halt joint military exercises with South Korea because Putin had suggested it.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/ ... siles.html
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Mar 2019, 11:57

Jonathan Chait lays out the case for collusion:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2019 ... ssion=true

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Mar 2019, 10:59

Every time I hear the name 'Mueller', I start thinking of one of the German Officers in Hogan's Heroes.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 11:25

--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2019, 18:55

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Mar 2019, 19:48

As of now it’s a pile of meh tho right? There doesn’t seem to be anything explosive. I feel like I can already hear engineers moving goalposts all across the land.

Mo

Occam, Trump, and Russia

Post by Mo » 24 Mar 2019, 19:50

JasonL wrote:As of now it’s a pile of meh tho right? There doesn’t seem to be anything explosive. I feel like I can already hear engineers moving goalposts all across the land.
It’s pretty meh. Though I would pretty much exclude all the obstruction of justice stuff as Barr made that determination and he has stated the president can’t obstruct justice (if he’s a Republican).

Also, the Dems were really screwed that they got a by the book investigator instead of a hack like Starr.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 20:10

I still don't believe that anyone other than Donnie Junior could get away with meeting a foreign government representative who is offering valuable dirt for the campaign. I still don't believe that anyone else could get away with saying "Great!" instead of"Call the FBI" after receiving a message that says "This is part of the Russian government's support for the candidate."

These guys knew on some level what game they were in, and even if they never said "Yes, we will coordinate our activity" they knew that they were doing things that normally preclude getting a job that requires a security clearance. And then a bunch of guys on the team lied and Jared Kushner kept remembering things that he had previously failed to disclose on his security clearance paperwork.

There may be insufficient evidence of a crime, but "not criminal" is not a high enough bar for holding the jobs these guys now hold.

And I simply don't believe that anyone else could get away with it. Maybe another administration wouldn't be indicted either, but nobody else could keep their jobs over this stuff.

--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2019, 21:57

I think there will be indictments the day after trump leaves office. I do wonder if it will amount to anything.

I don't want to lose T or taktix but ... I've never been particularly interested in the narrative. I thought even if he was caught red handed, he would slide. There were moments where I thought otherwise but I'm cynical that way yo and wishy washy in my temperament.

I don't think I'm very political these days. I'm busy. I notice I give a damn about policy a lot but I'm not really up for reading about coulda shoulda woulda involving politicians and how this or that will lead to this or that ideology. It's really hard for me to care these days. Not sure if that is a recent thing for me or what.

I will say the Flynn story is riveting to me. Like my god, a general caught up in treason. That was a head turner for me.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 22:06

If Russia didn't dangle anything in front of Trump or reach any deal with him, then we're left with the disturbing reality that Trump sucks up to Putin because he genuinely likes a Russian dictator better than he likes, well, just about anyone of any consequence in America.

And his base is OK with that.

Frankly, I'd rather live in the world where Trump was bought and paid for. I could have more respect for my fellow citizens.
--Mo