Occam, Trump, and Russia

Warren

Re: Occam, Trump, and Russia

Post by Warren » 02 Jan 2018, 10:16

JasonL wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 09:24
I think it's the new world. Everyone is going to have to step up data security to maintain any kind of privacy standards. We are used to a set of assumptions about private private data like bank routing numbers and ssns (equifax notwithstanding), and a kind of assumed to be private set of content like emails and texts. You either need to sweep the latter set of content under the same kinds of controls as financial data, or be okay with the idea that it isn't private. I don't like the Russians doing server hacks, but I basically assume that's how all governments and buttheads like anonymous do serious info gathering these days.

The social media thing I think is the nothingest of nothings. There's unironic social media content with millions of shares designed to make tankies smile. I'd like all those people and their haha stalin had the answer things to diaf, but we can't always get what we want.
Ayep.
Ruskies don't make social media shitty. Social media makes social media shitty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jan 2018, 10:26

No, society makes social media shitty.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jan 2018, 10:35

Social media bugs me.

Troll farms are barely a blip on top of everything that amateurs are voluntarily doing. Troll farms can only surf the wave that the wider society made.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jan 2018, 10:55

thoreau wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:35
Social media bugs me.

Troll farms are barely a blip on top of everything that amateurs are voluntarily doing. Troll farms can only surf the wave that the wider society made.
I think it's way more symbiotic than this. Troll farms are force multipliers for amateur trolls. They extend the reach and bring network effect into play. And they provide a lot more examples for evolution of meme creation and distribution.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 Jan 2018, 12:00

Highway wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:55
thoreau wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:35
Social media bugs me.

I think it's way more symbiotic than this. Troll farms are force multipliers for amateur trolls. They extend the reach and bring network effect into play. And they provide a lot more examples for evolution of meme creation and distribution.
Agree, especially given the content neutral aspect of Twitter and Facebook. For most of their existence (up to pretty much this year) the only thing they looked at was "how popular is this?" as measured solely by shares and likes. In that environment, a troll farm is extremely useful for driving the spread of ideas.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jan 2018, 12:07

And even that neutrality is kinda off. Russian bots seem to move with more impunity than that racist impersonator identification bot.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jan 2018, 12:50

Mo wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 12:07
And even that neutrality is kinda off. Russian bots seem to move with more impunity than that racist impersonator identification bot.
Well, yeah, because Twitter follows the same kind of rules for identifying bad actors that ebay does: Whoever complains the most is correct, and actual facts don't really come into the calculation.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jan 2018, 13:48

We now have independent confirmation that the FBI's investigation of Trump and Russia started long before dossiers about pee-pee tapes:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 0c58c.html

Papadopoulos opened his mouth in front of Australia's High Commissioner in London, then the Australians informed the FBI.

Carter Page is probably upset that nobody's using this to further incriminate him.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jan 2018, 17:00

Sometime the kinks need to be worked out.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Jan 2018, 17:29

Make automation great again.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jan 2018, 19:38

I'm shocked that a city that is half black would have a jury would be roughly half black. Also, due to grand jury rules, this leaker is presumably a pro-Trump witness, since there's no gallery for the grand jury.

https://pagesix.com/2018/01/02/russia-p ... s-witness/

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Jan 2018, 20:06

hahah but oh wait he's serious oh blah

"it's a fix" says source who's only frame of reference for more than six african americans in the same room is varying degrees of social unrest.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jan 2018, 20:15

Or that jazz club that his mistress forced him to go to.

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Jan 2018, 21:08

To be a post columnist is to be authoritative in your shittiness
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jan 2018, 09:20

The strange new respect era for Steve Bannon is going to be lit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... hael-wolff

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jan 2018, 10:29

Mo wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 09:20
The strange new respect era for Steve Bannon is going to be lit.
Yes. Yes it is.
Wait. What does "lit" mean?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Jan 2018, 10:49

Mo wrote:The strange new respect era for Steve Bannon is going to be lit.

Between #Resistance Steve Bannon, woke Max Boot, and Bill Kristol tweeting insightful things, I'm thinking the Apocalypse is here.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Jan 2018, 16:02

thoreau wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 10:49

Between #Resistance Steve Bannon, woke Max Boot, and Bill Kristol tweeting insightful things, I'm thinking the Apocalypse is here.
The Trump nuts have moved so far away on the spectrum that parallax has collapsed and now the Left and Not Entirely Insane Right seem to be right next to each other.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Jan 2018, 16:34

Shem wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 16:02
thoreau wrote:

The Trump nuts have moved so far away on the spectrum that parallax has collapsed and now the Left and Not Entirely Insane Right seem to be right next to each other.
Have you seen Spencer's non-racial views? He's basically a Berniecrat.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Jan 2018, 13:57

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Jan 2018, 15:07

Well, they're definitely in the bag for Trump. So much for the independence of the upper chamber.
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jan 2018, 15:43

thoreau wrote:
...Bill Kristol tweeting insightful things...
There's a difference between "things I agree with" and "insightful".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jan 2018, 13:04

Guys, today is the day that Russians celebrate Christmas, and I just tried calling a federal agency but got a message saying nobody's at work today.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jan 2018, 17:27

There were a whole lot of Russians at last year's inauguration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... de09493b03

Including Natalia Veselnitskaya.
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jan 2018, 17:59

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/03/us/p ... paign.html
http://dakotafreepress.com/2017/03/27/m ... w-wollman/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-kreml ... -love-guns

Sounds like Paul Erickson is boning Maria Butina and she's using him and her involvement in gun rights activism to push the NRA in a Russia-friendly direction.

Useful idiots.
--Shem