First, do no harm (side effects may include death)

the innominate one

Re: First, do no harm (side effects may include death)

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 23:02

Well, it certainly is with that attitude.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 May 2018, 15:50

You may be aware of Michael Pollan's forthcoming book on psychedelic research. Excerpt is not bad https://lithub.com/how-psilocybin-could ... treatment/

I mean, it's good except like, well, yeah, that's what trips are like and obviously why everyone should take them.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 May 2018, 16:09

Kolohe wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 19:17
I thought some of the battlefield blood clotting agents were introduced early in the Iraq war under something like this i.e. bypassing the FDA.

(Though I think it also turned out that the quick tourniquet was a better mechanism when that could be used)
6 is obvs in a better position to comment but the SWAT doc led field emergency medicine class I took emphasized 1) the risks / rewards of tourniquet application to extremities is drastically misunderstood in the popular narrative, those things are amazing and will save your life if you get cut while some distance from medical facilities; 2) the israeli bandage + hemostatic blood clotters are pretty freaking great; 3) infection may kill you at some point, but blood loss will kill you now you must stop blood loss.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 May 2018, 16:10

There's a peyote church in Arizona. I've been tempted to pay the money to go try the sacrament.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 May 2018, 16:12

nicole wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:50
You may be aware of Michael Pollan's forthcoming book on psychedelic research. Excerpt is not bad https://lithub.com/how-psilocybin-could ... treatment/

I mean, it's good except like, well, yeah, that's what trips are like and obviously why everyone should take them.
From what I have read of hallucinogenic drugs, my main concern is that I would be bored and distracted for a few hours.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 May 2018, 16:23

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:12
nicole wrote:

From what I have read of hallucinogenic drugs, my main concern is that I would be bored and distracted for a few hours.
To be sure, part of this fear is due to the fact that when people say it is a spiritual experience, I have no fucking clue what they mean. The book is on my "nightstand" though.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 May 2018, 16:52

Mescaline is fine. The metallic lysergicness of a very light lsd dose with the mesoamerican visual tropes of psilocybin. But very gentle. Also gross as shit if you do it via San pedro slurry.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 May 2018, 15:56

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:12
nicole wrote:

It is not possible to be bored on a full dose of LSD, or psilocybin. Probably not for mescaline or DMT either, but more research is required before I can make such an assertion with confidence.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem