Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

nicole

Re: Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Post by nicole » 06 Apr 2019, 07:56

Jennifer wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 18:50
Jadagul wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 18:37
One of my friends is really excited about Heathers and tried to make me watch it a couple weeks ago. I tapped out after about five minutes because I couldn't take it seriously and it was super unpleasant.
It really might be one of those things where you had to have been there, so to speak. I recall a long-ago Facebook post I made on the theme "Re-watched The Lost Boys for the first time since back in the day -- way cheesier than I remember, but the soundtrack still kicks ass," and someone -- I think Mediageek -- said that he'd recently tried watching it for the first time ever, but plain didn't get the appeal and figured it was one of those "You had to be there" things. Maybe Heathers really only works for people who were alive and of a certain age in the late 80s or early 90s.
I was 5 in 1989.

Jadagul's problem with the movie is much more likely to be that he thinks the world is a generally good and pleasant place and doesn't understand any type of social horror.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Apr 2019, 07:57

Andrew wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 01:06
Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 20:40
nicole wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 14:44
Just smh at this one https://www.thewrap.com/im-24-and-just- ... ime-yikes/
Now I really want to watch a reaction video of the author and her friends watching Blue Velvet.
I was thinking American Psycho, but perhaps she would manage to figure out it's a comedy.
Also Rules of Attraction
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Apr 2019, 15:23

nicole wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 07:56
Jennifer wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 18:50
Jadagul wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 18:37
One of my friends is really excited about Heathers and tried to make me watch it a couple weeks ago. I tapped out after about five minutes because I couldn't take it seriously and it was super unpleasant.
It really might be one of those things where you had to have been there, so to speak. I recall a long-ago Facebook post I made on the theme "Re-watched The Lost Boys for the first time since back in the day -- way cheesier than I remember, but the soundtrack still kicks ass," and someone -- I think Mediageek -- said that he'd recently tried watching it for the first time ever, but plain didn't get the appeal and figured it was one of those "You had to be there" things. Maybe Heathers really only works for people who were alive and of a certain age in the late 80s or early 90s.
I was 5 in 1989.

Jadagul's problem with the movie is much more likely to be that he thinks the world is a generally good and pleasant place and doesn't understand any type of social horror.
Yes.

I couldn't take seriously the taking seriously of The Main Heather. (I realize subsequently that the film is not primarily about Heather herself, but I couldn't take seriously anyone caring what she thought. My friend said "You don't remember high school, do you?" and I said that sure, most of high school was basically pleasant and everyone liked me but I didn't really engage in most of the social dynamics because I'm an introvert. I did spend senior year free period playing bridge with the rugby team, though).

I also can't really take seriously fiction in which people are petty. It's some combination of viscerally unbelievable and utterly enraging and I can't deal with it. (No one is ever petty, because that would be unreasonable, and we all know that no one is ever unreasonable).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2019, 15:32

Jadagul wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 15:23
I also can't really take seriously fiction in which people are petty. It's some combination of viscerally unbelievable and utterly enraging and I can't deal with it. (No one is ever petty, because that would be unreasonable, and we all know that no one is ever unreasonable).
I really don't know what to say to that, Jadagul. (I mean, I get the combination of "visceral unbelief" and "utter enragement," which I always feel when seeing such pettiness despite how many umpteen times I've seen it already -- what I don't get is how you can go through life thinking pettiness only exists in bad fiction.)

Do you ever have similar difficulty believing "Some people really are bigoted -- up to and beyond the point of murder -- against certain subgroups for no discernible reason at all?" For that matter, have you paid any attention to anything the current POTUS has said (or tweeted) since his name started appearing in actual political-news rather than celebrity-news stories?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Apr 2019, 16:16

Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 15:32
Jadagul wrote:
I really don't know what to say to that, Jadagul. (I mean, I get the combination of "visceral unbelief" and "utter enragement," which I always feel when seeing such pettiness despite how many umpteen times I've seen it already -- what I don't get is how you can go through life thinking pettiness only exists in bad fiction.)

Do you ever have similar difficulty believing "Some people really are bigoted -- up to and beyond the point of murder -- against certain subgroups for no discernible reason at all?" For that matter, have you paid any attention to anything the current POTUS has said (or tweeted) since his name started appearing in actual political-news rather than celebrity-news stories?
Trump has a certain degree of unreality to me because I can't imagine anyone acting that badly in real life.

I seem to be utterly incapable of not believing that people are kind and caring and trustworthy and decent and reasonable.

It seems to work out well for me.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2019, 17:03

Fuck it. Let's all move to where Jadagul lives.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Apr 2019, 17:23

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 17:03
Fuck it. Let's all move to where Jadagul lives.
Jordan Peele is taking reservations.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Apr 2019, 17:58

Eric the .5b wrote:Fuck it. Let's all move to where Jadagul lives.
My body is only three dimensional. I think you need to be five dimensional to even begin to perceive his world.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2019, 18:02

thoreau wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 17:58
My body is only three dimensional. I think you need to be five dimensional to even begin to perceive his world.
You have to adapt to new places.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 06 Apr 2019, 18:53

My friend said "You don't remember high school, do you?" and I said that sure, most of high school was basically pleasant and everyone liked me but I didn't really engage in most of the social dynamics because I'm an introvert. I did spend senior year free period playing bridge with the rugby team, though).
I've suggested this before, but now I'm calling it. Jadagul isn't real. He's a fever dream of the gryll's collective unconscious somehow come to life.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Apr 2019, 18:58

Are you saying that the real Jadagul is the friends we made along the way?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Apr 2019, 19:06

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 18:02
thoreau wrote:
Adaptations to see more dimensions are going to involve Cronenbergian body changes or quaternions, and my sanity can't handle either.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Apr 2019, 19:14

Andrew wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 19:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Adaptations to see more dimensions are going to involve Cronenbergian body changes or quaternions, and my sanity can't handle either.
Nothing wrong with quaternions. They make perfect sense.

It's the octonions that'll getcha.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2019, 20:18

Andrew wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 19:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
It's surprising what you can get used to.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2019, 20:44

Jadagul wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 16:16
Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 15:32
Jadagul wrote:

Trump has a certain degree of unreality to me because I can't imagine anyone acting that badly in real life.

I seem to be utterly incapable of not believing that people are kind and caring and trustworthy and decent and reasonable.

It seems to work out well for me.
On a day to day level, no doubt, but do you have any difficulty reconciling this belief with certain facts you know about history (or various present-day goings on, for that matter)?

It's like, imagine I happened to be completely asexual, never once had a sexy thought in my life (not even any childhood crushes), never went on a date or kissed anybody (and never wanted to, either), never worked in any "sex-appeal"-type jobs, never so much as had a man hit on or express interest in me, ever -- okay, so, I have no personal direct experience or engagement with "lust" or a "sex drive," my own or anyone else's ... but given all the books I've read and history I've learned and movies and TV shows I've seen, how could I possibly believe "C'mon, nobody's sex drive would lead them to do some unreasonable things or make unreasonable choices?" How could this possibly jibe with everything I know about, like, every current or former sex scandal I've ever known about?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Apr 2019, 20:54

I'm not saying I don't know this. But I seem to be incapable of believing it.

You'll notice I'm not trying to convince anyone this is true. That's because it isn't. But I can't stop believing it anyway.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Apr 2019, 10:53

Jadagul wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 20:54

You'll notice I'm not trying to convince anyone this is true. That's because it isn't. But I can't stop believing it anyway.
This describes my mindset on a lot of things, too. Like the Holocaust. I'm not an actual Holocaust denier; I know it happened. But I can't believe that it happened. People just wouldn't do that.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Apr 2019, 11:06

Ellie wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 10:53
Jadagul wrote:

This describes my mindset on a lot of things, too. Like the Holocaust. I'm not an actual Holocaust denier; I know it happened. But I can't believe that it happened. People just wouldn't do that.
I once thought that way, but I have had enough cases over the years of people I knew and liked coming out with absolutely abominable garbage that I gradually lost the illusion. I think it started with an uncle spewing crap about 'the Jews brought the holocaust on themselves', then in university I met Marxists who were perfectly fine with Stalin's atrocities.

Gradually, I came to realize that people can talk themselves into anything.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Apr 2019, 11:08

Ellie wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

I'm the same way about deep frying seafood.
We fucked up, so we're going to need more money. - Tuco

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 Apr 2019, 11:55

Warren wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 11:08
Ellie wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

Even prawns? Or calamari?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Apr 2019, 12:43

Fried clam strips are the best way to eat clams.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Apr 2019, 14:16

Number 6 wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 11:55
Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

Calamari is okay fried, but it's better grilled.
Jennifer wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 12:43
You go to the special hell.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2019, 14:23

Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 11:55
Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

Calamari is okay fried, but it's better grilled.
Jennifer wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 12:43
You go to the special hell.
Most grilled calamari is rubbery garbage because it’s hard to get right (if you do it’s divine). It’s hard to fuck up fried calamari.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Apr 2019, 14:26

I'm sure I've linked to this before. It's super relevant.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/484/do ... rs/act-one

JasonL

Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2019, 14:38

Warren wrote:I'm sure I've linked to this before. It's super relevant.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/484/do ... rs/act-one
It’s Spam of the Sea!

ETA - in the world of fake butt seafood, I fear the heads more than the rings.
Last edited by JasonL on 07 Apr 2019, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.