Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

lunchstealer

Re: Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jul 2017, 15:46

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:30
Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:15
NY Fed argues that high student debts are responsible for lower Millennial home ownership rates.
Looking at nine student cohorts, they concluded that the increase in public tuition and resulting student debt can account for anywhere between 11 and 35 percent of the decline in home ownership for 28- to 30-year-olds in the years between 2007 and 2015.
The paper also finds that there isn’t a significant relationship between increasing tuition and the number of students seeking higher education — perhaps a sign of the increasing necessity of higher education in attaining living wage work. “Students’ price elasticity of demand for higher education is quite low,” they conclude. “As college costs increase, American students do not forego education, but instead amass more debt.”
The second finding, the researchers caution, shouldn’t distract policymakers from the first one. “To the extent that the ongoing de-funding of public higher education has not been met, according to these estimates, by significant declines in educational attainment, some policymakers might be tempted to infer that de-funding public higher education is costless,” they write. “However, our estimates indicate that the cost of shifting the burden of funding higher education onto the student may arrive with a lag: Early homeownership, in our empirical models, appears responsive to the costs of higher education.”
???
So the problem of skyrocketing cost of higher education is the government isn't pumping enough dollar bills into it?
I suppose one could say that the issue is less one of pumping insufficient money, but pumping it the wrong way. If the funding were simply a subsidy for specific state schools such that they could reduce sticker-price by x for all students, that'd be far less distorting. While it doesn't have the feedback that just making people pay up-front has, it does have some political pushback against cost increases. The Stafford Loan process not only insulates the consumer from the cost of their choices until well after the choice is made, but it also is insulated from any political oversight, because it's just 'do you qualify for any loan? yes? you get your money now' with only the barest criteria for determining if the loan is appropriate.

So by pumping the money in directly, it might actually rein in costs far better than the current Stafford process.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2017, 17:27

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:46
If the funding were simply a subsidy for specific state schools such that they could reduce sticker-price by x for all students, that'd be far less distorting.
Nonsense. For one thing, the "sticker-price" for higher ed is an even bigger fiction than the sticker-price for new cars. I don't think it's related to anything. For another, they wouldn't reduce tuition, they'd further bloat administration.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Jul 2017, 03:02

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 17:27
lunchstealer wrote:
If the funding were simply a subsidy for specific state schools such that they could reduce sticker-price by x for all students, that'd be far less distorting.
Nonsense. For one thing, the "sticker-price" for higher ed is an even bigger fiction than the sticker-price for new cars. I don't think it's related to anything. For another, they wouldn't reduce tuition, they'd further bloat administration.
Stafford loans:

Kid comes in. Tuition is super high. Kids says, "Can I get a loan to cover that?" College says, "Yes." Kid takes out loan, pays what they ask. They take his money, invest in more administrators, and go back to get more kids to take bigger Stafford loans. No one is really all that invested in cutting the price. The kid is just trying to do what people have vaguely told him - go get thee a diploma, son. If big loans are how you do it, well, that's what you do. The Stafford loan process doesn't really cost the DoEd anything right away because the banks front the money, and the feds only go out of pocket when someone defaults on a loan. By the time the kid realizes he's been fucked, it's too late. He's got unforgivable bankruptcy proof loans, the college has its cash... there's no serious mechanism to hold back tuition. Yes, there are limits on Stafford loans themselves, but not much.

Direct subsidies:

College folks go to politicians, and ask for a line-item in the government budget. lots of back and forth. Committee meetings. Maybe the state equivalent of Rand Paul gets up in that shit. Maybe the college gets more money, maybe not. There is at least some feedback mechanism.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Jul 2017, 09:57

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 03:02
There is at least some feedback mechanism.
Makes sense to me. While we usually think of tax dollars as a bottomless pit of unicorns, I *would* think that has to be at least loosely tied to the tax base and thus what people can actually afford to pay at the moment, rather than being able to way over pay because it's future money.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2017, 10:00

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 03:02
Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 17:27
lunchstealer wrote:
Stafford loans:

Kid comes in. Tuition is super high. Kids says, "Can I get a loan to cover that?" College says, "Yes." Kid takes out loan, pays what they ask. They take his money, invest in more administrators, and go back to get more kids to take bigger Stafford loans. No one is really all that invested in cutting the price. The kid is just trying to do what people have vaguely told him - go get thee a diploma, son. If big loans are how you do it, well, that's what you do. The Stafford loan process doesn't really cost the DoEd anything right away because the banks front the money, and the feds only go out of pocket when someone defaults on a loan. By the time the kid realizes he's been fucked, it's too late. He's got unforgivable bankruptcy proof loans, the college has its cash... there's no serious mechanism to hold back tuition. Yes, there are limits on Stafford loans themselves, but not much.

Direct subsidies:

College folks go to politicians, and ask for a line-item in the government budget. lots of back and forth. Committee meetings. Maybe the state equivalent of Rand Paul gets up in that shit. Maybe the college gets more money, maybe not. There is at least some feedback mechanism.
So we'll get another 18 months before the system collapses.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Aug 2017, 14:16

I mean, I just can't even.
Carlos Villalobos, 21, who was selling tube-shaped digital antennas at a swap meet in San Diego recently, says customers often ask if his $20 to $25 products are legal. “They don’t trust me when I say that these are actually free local channels,” he says.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Aug 2017, 14:25

Mo wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:16
I mean, I just can't even.
Carlos Villalobos, 21, who was selling tube-shaped digital antennas at a swap meet in San Diego recently, says customers often ask if his $20 to $25 products are legal. “They don’t trust me when I say that these are actually free local channels,” he says.
That is straight out of The Onion.

Reminds me of this idiotic commercial.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Aug 2017, 14:26

What's next? People afraid to drink water ("what, like the toilet?") instead of Brawndo?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Aug 2017, 14:31

For a second, I wondered what the fuck Alex Jones was selling.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Aug 2017, 14:37

Hate Mo. He's selling hate.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Aug 2017, 14:38

And Clear TV

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Aug 2017, 14:45

And taint wipes
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Aug 2017, 15:01

Mo wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:31
For a second, I wondered what the fuck Alex Jones was selling.
I had the same reaction. Not that I wouldn't believe it.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Aug 2017, 10:32

lol

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Aug 2017, 10:47

I'm guessing that she's not thinking about it in the "We're all fucked if there's a war and we 'need a draft" sense.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Aug 2017, 11:05

Does she have anything going on beyond being pretty and angry?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Aug 2017, 11:09

No. Conservodude fap material who tells it like it is and puts them people in their place.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Aug 2017, 12:03

dhex wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 11:05
Young?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Aug 2017, 12:56

nicole wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 12:03
dhex wrote:
Young?
Yeah, the effort to grow a replacement for Ann Coulter has been mostly successful, but this one may be a bit dumber and without the pretense of erudition that Coulter could occasionally master.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Aug 2017, 14:41

Coulter can also be hilarious in a very mean-spirited way. She channels the ghost of Don Rickles at times.

As people other than me have pointed out about idiot Lahren's tweet, who the fuck does she think comprises the bulk of the military right now? The boomers are all retired and Gen X is aging out quickly. It's a millenial force and has been for a while now. They seem to do okay.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Aug 2017, 14:58

Yeah, that was definitely what I found funniest about it.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Aug 2017, 15:29

It might also be pointed out that the military has a strength and conditioning program to deal with that.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 Aug 2017, 15:30

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 12:56
nicole wrote:
dhex wrote:
Young?
Yeah, the effort to grow a replacement for Ann Coulter has been mostly successful, but this one may be a bit dumber and without the pretense of erudition that Coulter could occasionally master.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Aug 2017, 16:28

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 12:56
nicole wrote:
dhex wrote:
Young?
She's more like a dumber, further right version of Megyn Kelly. Maybe she's version 3. Kelly is more fuckablethan Coulter, but too centrist. Tomi Lahren is farther right and short to boot, which is good since I expect a lot of her fans are the kind of people who are scared of tall women.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Aug 2017, 16:30

tr0g wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 14:41
Coulter can also be hilarious in a very mean-spirited way. She channels the ghost of Don Rickles at times.

As people other than me have pointed out about idiot Lahren's tweet, who the fuck does she think comprises the bulk of the military right now? The boomers are all retired and Gen X is aging out quickly. It's a millenial force and has been for a while now. They seem to do okay.
The real military is exclusively like Lt Cold and E8s and above. They do everything.