Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

JasonL

Re: Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Post by JasonL » 06 Mar 2019, 11:24

Is the magnitude of parental assistance similar in post war America? Not help sometimes but help 20 hours a week? I don't know if that's similar to previous conditions or not. I don't know many people who were doing that.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2019, 11:26

I'm terrified that my mom (70 years old) will have a serious health crisis before I can regain some kind of economic stability, because I have no idea how I would provide for her besides becoming a personal health aide and assisting her with obtaining social benefits. 'Shelling out for eldercare' is far far beyond what would actually be possible. I would have to move her closer to us (and she would lose her Romney-care which handles her medical expenses, and lose her Cambridge Housing which allows her to have a decent apartment), or I would have to move to the city, away from my support network, and deal with increased CoL in order to be personally present to help her with stuff. There's no way cash could bridge the gap alone.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2019, 11:48

Andrew wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm pretty sure the extended family providing childcare isn't something the millenials are the first to do.
Yes, but that won't prevent some Bay Area startup from claiming that this is a uniquely Millennial concept that Disrupts old paradigms.

"Multi-generation co-raising is a new and disruptive expression of Millennials' uniquely communal values, and with our app parents, grandparents, aunties, and uncles can share data on the kids' dental and medical appointments!"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2019, 12:42

Dangerman wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:26
I'm terrified that my mom (70 years old) will have a serious health crisis before I can regain some kind of economic stability, because I have no idea how I would provide for her besides becoming a personal health aide and assisting her with obtaining social benefits. 'Shelling out for eldercare' is far far beyond what would actually be possible. I would have to move her closer to us (and she would lose her Romney-care which handles her medical expenses, and lose her Cambridge Housing which allows her to have a decent apartment), or I would have to move to the city, away from my support network, and deal with increased CoL in order to be personally present to help her with stuff. There's no way cash could bridge the gap alone.
At 70, doesn't she have Medicare at least?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2019, 12:48

Part of my terror is from ignorance. I'm sure she does have Medicare. I don't know what that means in terms of providing assistance to someone who becomes medically incapable of taking care of their day-to-day life because of loss of mobility or chronic conditions which could require higher levels of personal attention. I'm temperamentally inclined to believe that the safety net would not be enough to ensure a decent QoL if she became unable to function independently, but I don't actually know.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Mar 2019, 17:13

JasonL wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:24
Is the magnitude of parental assistance similar in post war America? Not help sometimes but help 20 hours a week? I don't know if that's similar to previous conditions or not. I don't know many people who were doing that.
My grandmother watched us when my mom was working, which she did full-time until I was 5 and part time after that. PT meant my grandmother watched us all summer, until later when my mom worked in schools and was on a school schedule.

My understanding from reading fam policy stuff is that most people get childcare through family arrangements. Or at least that it’s very substantial as compared to daycare.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Mar 2019, 13:16

Ellie wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:07
Andrew wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm pretty sure the extended family providing childcare isn't something the millenials are the first to do.
Right?
Yeah, regularly paying bills after 30 is weird. Regularly providing childcare, maybe some yard work or house cleaning or laundry or whatever... yeah no that's just family shit. It's more weird that it dropped off for a while, but never dropped off as much as anyone thinks they did.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Mar 2019, 15:35

Wait, you stopped paying bills after you hit 30? How can I learn your secret?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 Mar 2019, 22:17

Kolohe wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 15:35
Easy:
1) Turn thirty.
2) ??????
3) As a result of 2, be so rich that you have people for that.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Mar 2019, 12:26

Kolohe wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 15:35
Credit card fraud ain't just a river in indochina, bro.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2019, 19:35

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Mar 2019, 19:49

Surely Minecraft's 2009 release date is an even better fit, and it's a game people actually still play.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2019, 19:54

I think part of the theory is that Fallout was the first of a certain genre/major breakthrough type thing.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2019, 20:55

That’s the worst kind of argument. Can’t even come up with a specious correlation?how about n=1 specious inflection point!

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2019, 21:01

Fallout 3 isn't even that good.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2019, 10:55

I lol'd
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2019, 11:12

Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 10:55
I lol'd
Some people just have no sense of humor, Warren.

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Mar 2019, 15:50

What was the sex cessation program around 97 ish?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Mar 2019, 15:58

Original Fallout, I suppose.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Mar 2019, 20:20

dhex wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 15:50
What was the sex cessation program around 97 ish?
First generation of high speed internet & thus jpegs that took seconds instead of minutes to load. (Plus low fi RealMedia video).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Apr 2019, 18:39

There's a lot of competition, but this may be the worst avotoast story I've ever seen:
In the past few weeks, I’ve heard from more than 100 Americans in their 20s and 30s who have begun to make similar changes in their drinking habits or who are contemplating ways to drink less. They have good company: Public-health efforts have helped drive down adolescent drinking rates, and American beverage manufacturers are beginning to hedge their bets on alcohol’s future. Media too have noticed that change is afoot. Recent months have seen a flurry of trend stories about Millennials—currently about 22 to 38 years old—getting sober.
There isn’t any great statistical evidence yet that young adults have altered their drinking habits on a grand scale. Changes in habit often lag behind changes in attitude, and national survey data on drinking habits reflect only small declines in heavy alcohol use. (For men, that’s drinking five alcoholic beverages in a short period of time five or more times in a month; for women, it’s four drinks under the same conditions.) From 2015 through 2017, the most recent year for which data are available, the rate of Millennials who reported that they had consumed any amount of alcohol in the preceding month remained pretty steady, at more than 60 percent.
Still, Starke has noticed some worrying attitudinal trends toward alcohol among her younger patients. Millennials who haven’t developed their generation’s signature coping skills often use alcohol heavily. Starke sees an alarming number of people under 35 with advanced liver disease or alcohol hepatitis. As attitudes may be moderating for many young adults, plenty of others are struggling: Nearly 90,000 people still die from alcohol-related causes in America every year, and that number hasn’t started to meaningfully improve.
The spaces in which alcohol is consumed will also have to change to meet shifting consumer demands. It’s become notably easier in recent years to find alcohol-free cocktails in urban bars across America. In New York City, a few young entrepreneurs are opening new kinds of spaces to serve the tastes of their peers. Listen Bar, a clubby pop-up that gives patrons a chance to party without alcohol, is crowdfunding to lease its first permanent location. In Brooklyn’s Greenpoint neighborhood, Getaway, a bar so dedicated to being booze-free that it won’t even use bitters that contain alcohol, is opening in a few weeks.
Dellea has also noticed a mix of excitement and relief among her bar’s prospective patrons. “An Instagram account put up a picture of the bar,” she says. “A lot of the comments were just people tagging their friends.”
tl;dr it's a trend story without a shred of evidence to support its thesis.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Apr 2019, 20:14

Signature coping mechanism?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Apr 2019, 22:32

I assume that refers to your parents paying your rent or something.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2019, 08:09

Isn't the trend just "Millennials are entering middle age and therefore are acting more like middle aged people instead of 20-somethings"?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Apr 2019, 08:18

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:32
I assume that refers to your parents paying your rent or something.
I thought it was organizing a protest rally to get a white dude fired.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex