Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

JasonL

Re: Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Post by JasonL » 06 Mar 2019, 11:24

Is the magnitude of parental assistance similar in post war America? Not help sometimes but help 20 hours a week? I don't know if that's similar to previous conditions or not. I don't know many people who were doing that.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2019, 11:26

I'm terrified that my mom (70 years old) will have a serious health crisis before I can regain some kind of economic stability, because I have no idea how I would provide for her besides becoming a personal health aide and assisting her with obtaining social benefits. 'Shelling out for eldercare' is far far beyond what would actually be possible. I would have to move her closer to us (and she would lose her Romney-care which handles her medical expenses, and lose her Cambridge Housing which allows her to have a decent apartment), or I would have to move to the city, away from my support network, and deal with increased CoL in order to be personally present to help her with stuff. There's no way cash could bridge the gap alone.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2019, 11:48

Andrew wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm pretty sure the extended family providing childcare isn't something the millenials are the first to do.
Yes, but that won't prevent some Bay Area startup from claiming that this is a uniquely Millennial concept that Disrupts old paradigms.

"Multi-generation co-raising is a new and disruptive expression of Millennials' uniquely communal values, and with our app parents, grandparents, aunties, and uncles can share data on the kids' dental and medical appointments!"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2019, 12:42

Dangerman wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:26
I'm terrified that my mom (70 years old) will have a serious health crisis before I can regain some kind of economic stability, because I have no idea how I would provide for her besides becoming a personal health aide and assisting her with obtaining social benefits. 'Shelling out for eldercare' is far far beyond what would actually be possible. I would have to move her closer to us (and she would lose her Romney-care which handles her medical expenses, and lose her Cambridge Housing which allows her to have a decent apartment), or I would have to move to the city, away from my support network, and deal with increased CoL in order to be personally present to help her with stuff. There's no way cash could bridge the gap alone.
At 70, doesn't she have Medicare at least?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2019, 12:48

Part of my terror is from ignorance. I'm sure she does have Medicare. I don't know what that means in terms of providing assistance to someone who becomes medically incapable of taking care of their day-to-day life because of loss of mobility or chronic conditions which could require higher levels of personal attention. I'm temperamentally inclined to believe that the safety net would not be enough to ensure a decent QoL if she became unable to function independently, but I don't actually know.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Mar 2019, 17:13

JasonL wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:24
Is the magnitude of parental assistance similar in post war America? Not help sometimes but help 20 hours a week? I don't know if that's similar to previous conditions or not. I don't know many people who were doing that.
My grandmother watched us when my mom was working, which she did full-time until I was 5 and part time after that. PT meant my grandmother watched us all summer, until later when my mom worked in schools and was on a school schedule.

My understanding from reading fam policy stuff is that most people get childcare through family arrangements. Or at least that it’s very substantial as compared to daycare.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Mar 2019, 13:16

Ellie wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:07
Andrew wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm pretty sure the extended family providing childcare isn't something the millenials are the first to do.
Right?
Yeah, regularly paying bills after 30 is weird. Regularly providing childcare, maybe some yard work or house cleaning or laundry or whatever... yeah no that's just family shit. It's more weird that it dropped off for a while, but never dropped off as much as anyone thinks they did.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Mar 2019, 15:35

Wait, you stopped paying bills after you hit 30? How can I learn your secret?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 Mar 2019, 22:17

Kolohe wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 15:35
Easy:
1) Turn thirty.
2) ??????
3) As a result of 2, be so rich that you have people for that.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Mar 2019, 12:26

Kolohe wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 15:35
Credit card fraud ain't just a river in indochina, bro.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR