Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Hugh Akston

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Feb 2019, 13:12

CO trailrunner chokes out a mountain lion barehanded
The man was running on West Ridge Trail when he heard a noise, turned, and the young cat attacked, biting his face. He fought the cougar, hitting it with a rock and ultimately strangling it. Then he hiked to safety, CPW spokeswoman Rebecca Ferrell said.

The runner, who is in his 30s but hadn’t been publicly identified, was released Tuesday from a hospital where he had driven with facial cuts, wrist injuries and scratches and puncture wounds to his arms, legs and back.
The man did everything right, locking eyes with the cat, yelling at it and waving his arms over his head to look bigger, Ferrell said at a news conference.

When it pounced anyway, he blocked the cat with his forearms. The animal bit his face and then his wrist and wouldn’t let go, she said. So he picked up a rock with his free hand and pounded its head. Still the cat persisted. Then he put it in a headlock and wrestled it, finally jumping on its back and — using his hands, arms and feet — choked the beast to death, Ferrell said.
I wouldn't try that shit on Rimworld much less IRL.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Feb 2019, 13:18

I had to choke a pitbull in a dog park once. Not to death, but it was traumatic. Was sister in law's dog, bit another dog and wouldn't let go, woman tried to peel mouth away with her hands and was in danger. I put body weight on the dog and basically did a side choke. Damn thing never went after me, but wouldn't unclench from that dog until gagging and no oxygen.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Feb 2019, 16:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 13:12
CO trailrunner chokes out a mountain lion barehanded
The man was running on West Ridge Trail when he heard a noise, turned, and the young cat attacked, biting his face. He fought the cougar, hitting it with a rock and ultimately strangling it. Then he hiked to safety, CPW spokeswoman Rebecca Ferrell said.

The runner, who is in his 30s but hadn’t been publicly identified, was released Tuesday from a hospital where he had driven with facial cuts, wrist injuries and scratches and puncture wounds to his arms, legs and back.
The man did everything right, locking eyes with the cat, yelling at it and waving his arms over his head to look bigger, Ferrell said at a news conference.

When it pounced anyway, he blocked the cat with his forearms. The animal bit his face and then his wrist and wouldn’t let go, she said. So he picked up a rock with his free hand and pounded its head. Still the cat persisted. Then he put it in a headlock and wrestled it, finally jumping on its back and — using his hands, arms and feet — choked the beast to death, Ferrell said.
I wouldn't try that shit on Rimworld much less IRL.
That guy should donate sperm. The world needs his DNA.
"just build a quantum foam wall and make the tardigrades pay for it."
--Hugh

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Feb 2019, 16:10

JasonL wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 13:18
I had to choke a pitbull in a dog park once. Not to death, but it was traumatic. Was sister in law's dog, bit another dog and wouldn't let go, woman tried to peel mouth away with her hands and was in danger. I put body weight on the dog and basically did a side choke. Damn thing never went after me, but wouldn't unclench from that dog until gagging and no oxygen.
Sounds kinda like meeting a 9/11 truther.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Feb 2019, 16:11

Stolen from Fauxbook:

This is why you need to have a laser pointer with you AT ALL TIMES!!1
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Feb 2019, 16:34

I've thought about having to fight off a dog, but not ever a mountain lion. One thing at least I think is important is that if you're fighting off a dog (or a mountain lion), you can't be concerned about being gentle, or not hurting the animal. I think you have to be fully prepared to kill the animal to get it off of you, because it's not letting go until you're dead, as far as it's concerned. So like this story, hit it with a rock, punch it hard, choke it out, anything you can do.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Feb 2019, 16:47

It was entirely unclear to me that a triangle style carotid choke would do anything to a dog, but it's what I thought of at the time. Still not sure it worked as designed but I was able to exert a combination of pressures on the neck that started gagging and lost fight strength. Probably not with a mountain lion but even with a big dog - my direct experience suggests take the top, hand sweep front feet out from under to flatten the dog out, use your body weight to press face and front down - and you are in much less danger. I do not care to have to do that ever again.

They did wind up having to put that dog down. Unsafe around any other animal and any kid who happened to be around the other animal, for all he was friendly to people.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Feb 2019, 17:56

FWIW the cougar was basically a tween, only 80lbs and less than a year old. I actually feel bad for the poor kitteh, not that I can fault the guy. Just wish the kitteh hadn't made the mistake of going after an apex predator.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Feb 2019, 18:15

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 17:56
FWIW the cougar was basically a tween, only 80lbs and less than a year old. I actually feel bad for the poor kitteh, not that I can fault the guy. Just wish the kitteh hadn't made the mistake of going after an apex predator.
Yeah, any experienced predator knows that you go after the young or the infirm, not a healthy specimen in its prime.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Feb 2019, 19:27

lunchstealer wrote:
FWIW the cougar was basically a tween, only 80lbs and less than a year old.
*thinks about how incredibly fast and dangerous housecats can be at 10 pounds*
*thinks about a wild one 8x as large*

Tween or not, I would prefer to avoid fighting an 80-pound killing machine.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Feb 2019, 19:58

Oh yeah I'm not gonna get in the ring with one. Just was wondering how the hell someone survived long enough to choke out a 120lb+ big cat, and the answer was it wasn't.

Also apparently females can max out at 65lbs.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Feb 2019, 21:39

Andrew wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 19:27
lunchstealer wrote:
FWIW the cougar was basically a tween, only 80lbs and less than a year old.
*thinks about how incredibly fast and dangerous housecats can be at 10 pounds*
*thinks about a wild one 8x as large*

Tween or not, I would prefer to avoid fighting an 80-pound killing machine.
Yeah. Felines get scary fast as they get bigger.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Feb 2019, 22:11

Aresen wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 18:15
lunchstealer wrote:
Yeah, any experienced predator knows that you go after the young or the infirm, not a healthy specimen in its prime.
This was one of the dumber ones, and now it will never mate. Mountain lion attacks are pretty rare in total number (even if increasing in relative terms, due to more development near their territory) because they are wary of humans. Humans armed with spears and working in groups have been killing other predators for tens of thousands of years or longer, and the predators that have managed to survive the rise of homo sapiens have learned that you don't go after tall, healthy-looking two-legged creatures, especially if they're in groups. At most, you take their livestock while they're sleeping. But going after the two-legged creatures themselves is often a quick way to lose the Darwinian competition.
"just build a quantum foam wall and make the tardigrades pay for it."
--Hugh

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Feb 2019, 23:39

Mountain lions are only so wary of humans. They tend to enjoy stalking lone humans, and sometimes they decide to show themselves or pounce. Also, mountain lions don't have nearly as much evolutionary experience with humans as Old World cats like lions. And maybe worst of all, at least one study suggests that they may misinterpret freezing as a sign of injury and thus vulnerability.

And cats just want to be everything's natural predator.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 07 Feb 2019, 06:21

That guy's a badass.