Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18215
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Apr 2017, 05:46

A thread for featherless bipeds of note
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18215
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Apr 2017, 05:47

#Crushingit
Eight p.m. Sunday in East Palestine, Ohio. Dad is in bed after working all day. Mom, also exhausted, falls asleep on the couch. Even though they've had dinner earlier, the 8-year-old son and his 4-year-old sister are hungry — for McDonald's.

But instead of the waking up his parents, the boy decides this is a problem he can handle by himself.
The boy seated his sister in the back of the father's work van before he got behind the wheel. He drove about a mile from his house, through four intersections and over railroad tracks. The trip required several right-hand turns and one left-hand turn.

Witnesses in other vehicles spotted the underage driver and called police. They reported he obeyed traffic rules, stopped at red lights, adhered to the speed limit and didn't sideswipe a single garbage can.

After reaching the drive-thru at the fast-food restaurant, the boy paid for the cheeseburgers with money from his piggy bank. The McDonald's workers thought the kid's parents were pranking them.
Police arrived, but not before the children got to eat a cheeseburger and chicken nuggets. Meanwhile, the kids were spotted by a family friend who notified their grandparents, who drove to the restaurant to take them home.
How did an 8-year-old learn to drive?, Officer Koehler wanted to know. YouTube videos, the boy responded.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by pistoffnick » 13 Apr 2017, 08:55

That kid is going places. He's got more drive than most of the Gen X,Y,Z interns I see.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24841
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Mo » 13 Apr 2017, 09:19

The real happy ending is that there's no mention of CPS.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27382
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2017, 10:49

Hugh Akston wrote:How did an 8-year-old learn to drive?, Officer Koehler wanted to know. YouTube videos, the boy responded.
Fuckin eh right. I love YouTube when I have to do something I haven't done before. The way higher ed is going, I bet the day of YouTube degrees is coming.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16137
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Aresen » 13 Apr 2017, 11:15

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:How did an 8-year-old learn to drive?, Officer Koehler wanted to know. YouTube videos, the boy responded.
Fuckin eh right. I love YouTube when I have to do something I haven't done before. The way higher ed is going, I bet the day of YouTube degrees is coming.
Well, they'd probably be more useful than Doctorates in "Feminist Glacier Studies" from Harvard.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27382
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2017, 11:33

Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:How did an 8-year-old learn to drive?, Officer Koehler wanted to know. YouTube videos, the boy responded.
Fuckin eh right. I love YouTube when I have to do something I haven't done before. The way higher ed is going, I bet the day of YouTube degrees is coming.
Well, they'd probably be more useful than Doctorates in "Feminist Glacier Studies" from Harvard.
That should go without saying. I'm suggesting they'll be more useful that a bachelor's in STEM from Cal Poly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Sandy » 13 Apr 2017, 11:39

YouTube is great for learning anything kinetic, but really variable for conceptual stuff. Basically you either need a great animator or someone who is a really good lecturer. Even then, zoning out is a danger.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27382
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2017, 11:42

Sandy wrote:YouTube is great for learning anything kinetic, but really variable for conceptual stuff. Basically you either need a great animator or someone who is a really good lecturer. Even then, zoning out is a danger.
Part of what works is breaking up big topics into small segments. You absolutely do need great lecturers, animators, editors, etc. Fortunately, it appears our culture is awash in such people.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12589
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Ellie » 13 Apr 2017, 12:11

Mo wrote:The real happy ending is that there's no mention of CPS.
Unfortunately, it says something like "the incident is still under investigation." Urrrggghhh.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16100
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by dhex » 13 Apr 2017, 13:34

Sandy wrote:YouTube is great for learning anything kinetic, but really variable for conceptual stuff. Basically you either need a great animator or someone who is a really good lecturer. Even then, zoning out is a danger.
yuuuuuuup

also the harvard degree in damn near anything is worth more than most anything.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Sandy » 13 Apr 2017, 16:09

dhex wrote:also the harvard degree in damn near anything is worth more than most anything.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the quality of education. Or at least not very much compared to having been a good enough high school student to qualify or inherit enough money to qualify. And even then the value is more in the network of people who are convinced that they should hire each other because they're the smartest and the bestest.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16100
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by dhex » 13 Apr 2017, 16:14

well, yeah, i mean. sure.

then again, i'm fine with *.*studies majors existing and all that. i don't think they're useless.

now, useless students, on the other hand...that's a different story.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Sandy » 13 Apr 2017, 17:08

dhex wrote:well, yeah, i mean. sure.

then again, i'm fine with *.*studies majors existing and all that. i don't think they're useless.

now, useless students, on the other hand...that's a different story.
Good news is, most of the *.* studies majors are learning it via Laci Green and Riley Dennis and Gazi Kodzo videos, so they're ahead of the game.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16100
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by dhex » 13 Apr 2017, 17:28

yeah i have no idea who those people are.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16137
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Aresen » 13 Apr 2017, 17:31

dhex wrote:yeah i have no idea who those people are.
Consider yourself blessed.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19029
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Apr 2017, 18:07

There is nothing per se illegitimate about [Your particular victimhood] Studies. Indeed, I'd happily admit that African Americans, women, homosexuals, etc. have received so little serious scholarship historically that they're more than entitled to special attention now. The problem is that, at least from my perspective, there is too little disinterested scholarship and too much activist agenda. In that regard, they don't differ from sociology or anthropology as legitimate topics of academic interest illegitimately conveyed.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27382
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2017, 18:10

Sandy wrote:
dhex wrote:well, yeah, i mean. sure.

then again, i'm fine with *.*studies majors existing and all that. i don't think they're useless.

now, useless students, on the other hand...that's a different story.
Good news is, most of the *.* studies majors are learning it via Laci Green and Riley Dennis and Gazi Kodzo videos, so they're ahead of the game.
*checks sarcasm detector* I think this thing is busted, the needle is all over the place.
Is that suppose to be funny?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16100
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by dhex » 13 Apr 2017, 19:09

D.A. Ridgely wrote:There is nothing per se illegitimate about [Your particular victimhood] Studies. Indeed, I'd happily admit that African Americans, women, homosexuals, etc. have received so little serious scholarship historically that they're more than entitled to special attention now. The problem is that, at least from my perspective, there is too little disinterested scholarship and too much activist agenda. In that regard, they don't differ from sociology or anthropology as legitimate topics of academic interest illegitimately conveyed.
i speak of the worth of the major in terms of the production of usable skills (which is the true value of an undergraduate degree...in theory...har har har har), rather than any kind of judgement of value re: as a topic of exploration or scholarship. politics are an unavoidable side effect of living.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24380
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2017, 20:11

I think there is merit in that sense but I also think there is something tremendously distorting about me studies. To wit, your aren't learning critique or analysis so much as stuffing everything in the world into a very small box.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Sandy » 13 Apr 2017, 22:10

dhex wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:There is nothing per se illegitimate about [Your particular victimhood] Studies. Indeed, I'd happily admit that African Americans, women, homosexuals, etc. have received so little serious scholarship historically that they're more than entitled to special attention now. The problem is that, at least from my perspective, there is too little disinterested scholarship and too much activist agenda. In that regard, they don't differ from sociology or anthropology as legitimate topics of academic interest illegitimately conveyed.
i speak of the worth of the major in terms of the production of usable skills (which is the true value of an undergraduate degree...in theory...har har har har), rather than any kind of judgement of value re: as a topic of exploration or scholarship. politics are an unavoidable side effect of living.
Yet they feel the need to make everything explicitly political.

But as pointed out elsewhere, it's more religious indoctrination. Much like seminary school, you don't get into the interesting debates with any acknowledged lack of certainty until the very upper levels, and even then it depends on the quality of the program.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16137
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Aresen » 13 Apr 2017, 22:42

I do not mind the advocacy, even when it sounds like whining and special pleading. (Actually, I mind it, but I can live with it.)

What does bother me is the attempt to exclude and silence any questioning or opposition. Opposition and questioning is the whole basis of learning and of working out problems, which is why it is good that we grylliaders so often debate issues that do not fit into 'Libertarian Orthodoxy.'

The great thing about Youtube learning is that it opens the forum to many voices. Yes, it has given the cranks a platform, but it has given the rest of us the opportunity to rebut. (There was a science fiction story* in the sixties or seventies where someone found a way to make TV two-way, so politicians could be called on their bullshit. Youtube is that way.)

*I think it was written by Murray Leinster.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1653
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by Kwix » 14 Apr 2017, 02:14

pistoffnick wrote:That kid is going places. He's got more drive than most of the Gen X,Y,Z interns I see.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: Because I was narrow sighted.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24380
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by JasonL » 14 Apr 2017, 10:32

Kwix wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:That kid is going places. He's got more drive than most of the Gen X,Y,Z interns I see.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: Because I was narrow sighted.
He's a real hero. A real human being.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24380
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Heroes and Zeroes of the Human Race

Post by JasonL » 14 Apr 2017, 10:33

JasonL wrote:I think there is merit in that sense but I also think there is something tremendously distorting about me studies. To wit, your aren't learning critique or analysis so much as stuffing everything in the world into a very small box.
More like packing than unpacking.



does that work?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests