The real criminal is your neighbor

Taktix®

Re: The real criminal is your neighbor

Post by Taktix® » 13 Apr 2017, 08:43

Also, yes, code enforcement (or whatever your particular locality calls them) quite literally drives around neighborhoods looking for code violations. In a "free" country...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2017, 17:08

Parents lose child, beat man who finds her:
The man who was beaten signed a waiver of prosecution, Gross said, saying he wouldn't bring charges against the father. "He's a parent of two daughters so he could understand how they reacted."

When the police told the girl's family that the man wouldn't be arrested, they reported the father "became increasingly agitated."

"So I guess in Lakeland, you can kidnap a child and get away with it," the father said to police.

Unsatisfied, the family took to Facebook and shared his name, his profile and pictures of him and his kids, calling him a sexual predator. Soon, his information was everywhere.

One Facebook post, provided to CNN by the Lakeland police, included the man's picture and warned people in the area to look out for him. The author accused him of trying to take the girl.

"I can only imagine the fear that was in them but I'm so glad they were able to act fast and keep their little girl from being taken," the post said. "Let's make him go around on here to help keep all babies safe from this piece of s***."

Gross said the posts suggested that people band together to run the man out of town. They never got the chance.

The man and his family left town of their own accord, afraid for their lives after receiving threats.

According to Gross, the father of the little girl hasn't expressed any remorse for attacking the good Samaritan. "They still think their daughter was trying to be kidnapped," he said. "They're just not listening."
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/06/28/us/g ... index.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jun 2017, 17:12

Just another example of "What I think is right, and it doesn't matter what anyone else says."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2017, 18:05

Jesus. Were I in such a situation as that good Samaritan, maybe I'd be magnanimous enough* to not-sue over the beating (don't bet on it, though), but I'd damned well sue over the character assassination later.

*EDIT: Added missing word
Last edited by Jennifer on 28 Jun 2017, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2017, 18:17

Jennifer wrote:Jesus. Were I in such a situation as that good Samaritan, maybe I'd be magnanimous to not-sue over the beating (don't bet on it, though), but I'd damned well sue over the character assassination later.
Honestly, I think they have no choice but to sue. It's not as if Facebook is the neighborhood flyer-rag. This will follow him everywhere.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jun 2017, 18:39

I've occasionally felt bad that around a year ago I was driving in the next neighborhood over and saw a toddler, walking but in diapers, in the street looking around. I didn't see an obvious parent. I decided not to stop, precisely because over the years these stories have scared me away from doing the helpful thing. I hate this bullshit. I'm sure the odds of getting a parent who might actually be grateful that the village is helping raise their child is better than not, but with stakes like this just can't take the risk.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2017, 18:42

Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Jesus. Were I in such a situation as that good Samaritan, maybe I'd be magnanimous to not-sue over the beating (don't bet on it, though), but I'd damned well sue over the character assassination later.
Honestly, I think they have no choice but to sue. It's not as if Facebook is the neighborhood flyer-rag. This will follow him everywhere.
Not just that, but given that the man and his family already had to leave town to escape threats, they're already incurred actual measurable financial costs, over and above more amorphous "loss of reputation/did I not-get that job because a better candidate applied, or because the employer Googled my name and assumed I'm a kidnapper?" issues.

I can't figure out WTF the parents of that little girl were/are thinking. Even awarding them absolute maximum benefit-of-the-doubt points before the police told them to chill, the idea that modern cops would be all "Eh, yawn, we can't be bothered to arrest a literal kidnapper, we'd sooner defend him in the public sphere" does not pass the smell test. (Unless said kidnapper were himself a cop.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2017, 18:44

dead_elvis wrote:I've occasionally felt bad that around a year ago I was driving in the next neighborhood over and saw a toddler, walking but in diapers, in the street looking around. I didn't see an obvious parent. I decided not to stop, precisely because over the years these stories have scared me away from doing the helpful thing. I hate this bullshit. I'm sure the odds of getting a parent who might actually be grateful that the village is helping raise their child is better than not, but with stakes like this just can't take the risk.
In today's climate, even I'd be reluctant to help that child, and my being a shorter-than-average woman means I'd get a lot of benefit-of-the-doubt points which a man generally would not enjoy.

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Jun 2017, 18:47

I once called the police because the crazy neighbor was letting her 3 year old play in the street without any supervision. It was a distressingly regular thing. This was the woman who accused the very nice jogger from down the street of being a child molester when he tried to take the kid home, and almost cracked his skull with a baseball bat. The 911 operator tried repeatedly to get me to guide the kid out of the road, but all I was willing to do was stay in the road with my hazards on until the police arrived. I made the right choice; she started screaming at the cops when they arrived. Kid got taken away not long after.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Oct 2017, 08:14

A document full of people that need stitches. https://splinternews.com/this-is-what-i ... 1819077393
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Oct 2017, 09:27

People = shit.

Isn't that agency violating the law by having confidential personally identifying information online?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Oct 2018, 16:53

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Oct 2018, 16:59

The case for Better America by Purging White Moms grows.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2018, 17:11

JasonL wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:59
The case for Better America by Purging White Moms grows.
I am finding your campaign more persuasive. I'm still not sold on unwhite moms as a preferable alternative.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Oct 2018, 17:11

I want a show called "The Stranger In The Building That Isn't Up To Code And Who Cares?" It is about a future where fussy white suburbanites have been purged and there is no Resistance because everyone is happy and chill about the situation.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Oct 2018, 17:24

What percent of minority moms are : a) anti vaxxers; b) scared of everything other than white people; c) drive the HOA to action against lawn and shutter color violations, and so on.

It's really "college educated, stay at home, suburbanite, household income in the top 2 quintiles", plus maybe another portion of "stupid redneck". That's a lot of white folk.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2018, 19:46

JasonL wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 17:24
What percent of minority moms are : a) anti vaxxers; b) scared of everything other than white people; c) drive the HOA to action against lawn and shutter color violations, and so on.

It's really "college educated, stay at home, suburbanite, household income in the top 2 quintiles", plus maybe another portion of "stupid redneck". That's a lot of white folk.
There is an ongoing conspiracy theory in the black community that vaccinations are a plot to sterilize black people. I do not know how prevalent it is, but I have seen some videos. #batshitcrazylivesmatter
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Oct 2018, 22:03

The Nation of Islam jumped on the anti-vax train some years ago. I think the hotep community is too. (Of course, hoteps are pretty consistently crazy in all aspects of life; some even claim that menstruation is unnatural for black women, but can be cured by not eating a "eurocentric" diet.)