What the fuck is wrong with the people who call the cops part a million
C8punTeW0AYPjoz.jpg
C8punTeW0AYPjoz.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

pistoffnick

Re: The real criminal is your neighbor

Post by pistoffnick » 05 Apr 2017, 10:01

Are they collecting sales tax? The Man needs his cut, Nicole!
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Apr 2017, 10:02

I was going to reflexively say it's all white women but this could be not that. It is mostly white women tho.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2017, 10:12

JasonL wrote:I was going to reflexively say it's all white women but this could be not that. It is mostly white women tho.
Yes, my local contributions to this will, I'm sure, be 99.9% black women. Maybe some more Hispanic.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Apr 2017, 10:33

Selection bias for me. :cry:

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Apr 2017, 10:57

This is what happens when you don't elect the person who was going to put a taco truck on every corner. There's a void in the market and someone moves in to fill it.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Apr 2017, 21:24

JasonL wrote:Selection bias for me. :cry:
Isn't your region of the state overwhelmingly white? So white people will be the majority in everything you see: obnoxious do-gooders, sensible MYOB types, and everything in between.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Apr 2017, 13:53

The house next door was owned by an elderly woman who died last summer. Her adult son tried to sell the house unrenovated, which failed since his price was too high and nothing had been updated on the house since the 70s. A few weekends ago, a work crew showed up and started remodeling the interior and replacing the property line fence. It had been a waist high chain link fence and they started replacing it with a 6 foot cinder block fence (the Phoenix standard that every other house on the block has).

When I came home yesterday, I noticed a big placard on the front of the house. It was a stop work notice from the city claiming proper permits hadn't been obtained for interior renovations or putting up the cinder block fence.

Unless the city of Phoenix has people driving around all day looking for construction work and then cross checking permits, there's a snitch in the neighborhood.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Apr 2017, 14:27

It's been a few weeks? It's certainly possible that the inspector in the area had come through on another job, and on the way saw a construction job going on that he didn't know about. Frequently municipalities split the responsibilities for permitting and inspection up by geographic areas, so if he sees something he didn't know about in the middle of construction, then he is going to look into it, and then he's going to see that there's no permit, come back, and put a stop work order up.

It could also be that there's a snitch, but don't discount the idea that the City inspectors just saw it on their own. Why would anyone complain? Was the work crew particularly loud or messy? It sounds like they were updating an unoccupied house and making it conform to the rest of the block, so that lowers the probability that someone nearby would get their dander up and call in to complain.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Apr 2017, 17:23

Andrew wrote:The house next door was owned by an elderly woman who died last summer. Her adult son tried to sell the house unrenovated, which failed since his price was too high and nothing had been updated on the house since the 70s. A few weekends ago, a work crew showed up and started remodeling the interior and replacing the property line fence. It had been a waist high chain link fence and they started replacing it with a 6 foot cinder block fence (the Phoenix standard that every other house on the block has).

When I came home yesterday, I noticed a big placard on the front of the house. It was a stop work notice from the city claiming proper permits hadn't been obtained for interior renovations or putting up the cinder block fence.

Unless the city of Phoenix has people driving around all day looking for construction work and then cross checking permits, there's a snitch in the neighborhood.
A car labeled "code enforcement" with a city logo and gov't plates drives through our neighborhood every weekday around 10am.

The police drive through a couple of times a year.

ETA: We are rife with snitches, though.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Apr 2017, 17:40

Andrew wrote:When I came home yesterday, I noticed a big placard on the front of the house. It was a stop work notice from the city claiming proper permits hadn't been obtained for interior renovations or putting up the cinder block fence.

This is the # 1 reason to hate zoning bylaws. From your comments, it doesn't sound as though they were creating some gawdawful monstrosity next door, so, if you don't object, why is it anyone else's business? It looks to me like some bylaw enforcement officer who wanted to ensure that the city got its pound of flesh.

(Assuming, of course, that you weren't the snitch. :P )
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Apr 2017, 13:04

Teresa Clark has watched three strangers die. She held her husband's hand the first time, but after that the experience began to feel normal.

The couple, who run a chimney sweeping business in Waynesboro, Virginia, volunteer to watch executions. Teresa's husband, Larry, 63, went to the first one alone.

"He was very curious. I dropped him off and I asked him all kinds of questions," she says. "Afterwards he said, 'You gotta see this'."
Or you could not see it and make it that much harder for the state to kill people in your name. But I guess you're into that!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39535957

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Apr 2017, 13:09

nicole wrote:
Teresa Clark has watched three strangers die. She held her husband's hand the first time, but after that the experience began to feel normal.

The couple, who run a chimney sweeping business in Waynesboro, Virginia, volunteer to watch executions. Teresa's husband, Larry, 63, went to the first one alone.

"He was very curious. I dropped him off and I asked him all kinds of questions," she says. "Afterwards he said, 'You gotta see this'."
Or you could not see it and make it that much harder for the state to kill people in your name. But I guess you're into that!

If you like watching people die, you could always watch car crash videos on Youtube.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Apr 2017, 13:59

nicole wrote:

Okay, I can sorta get this if you have some feeling that souls should not pass from the world unwitnessed because every soul has worth in the eyes of God and all that. But just because the state needs a witness? No thanks. State needs witnesses, they got employees. Round up a couple or six DMV clerks and send them over if nobody volunteers. I've seen people die. It ain't an experience I'm eager to repeat.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2017, 14:44

tr0g wrote:
nicole wrote:

Okay, I can sorta get this if you have some feeling that souls should not pass from the world unwitnessed because every soul has worth in the eyes of God and all that. But just because the state needs a witness? No thanks. State needs witnesses, they got employees. Round up a couple or six DMV clerks and send them over if nobody volunteers. I've seen people die. It ain't an experience I'm eager to repeat.
I dunno. I'm against capital punishment in all cases. I feel one of the problems with it, is that we give it a sanitized veneer. That people at large are insulated from the horrors of it, and might be less supportive if they had to confront it. OTOH going the other way with public executions makes it into entertainment. I don't see any good that could come from that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Apr 2017, 11:04

In blog posts and comments, two residents of a Virgin Islands condominium complex criticized two other residents who were (in line with rights prescribed to them under federal law) keeping emotional-support dogs despite a no-dog rule in the complex. Among other statements, one or the other of the two said dog owners would be “happier in another community,” speculated that “diploma mill” paperwork could certify any canine whose owner cared to claim stress, suggested the complex should “lawyer up” and be prepared to go to court to defend its rule against “known violators,” and proposed the dog owners be “ostracized” by other residents.

The dog-owning residents sued the neighbors, along with the condo association and other defendants. They cited federal legal interpretations, which have since been buttressed by a regulation issued in the Obama administration, that hold it “hostile environment harassment” under the Fair Housing Act to make statements that “interfere” with another’s exercise of rights under the law.

Now the Third Circuit, as part of a decision resolving numerous issues about the case, reversed grants of summary judgment in favor of the two blog writers and ruled that they could properly be sued for damages for creating a hostile environment under the Fair Housing Act.
https://www.overlawyered.com/2017/04/th ... ghts-suit/

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Apr 2017, 11:13

I bet they stared angrily at the dog owners REALLY HARD. :shock:

---

On a similar note, how many of you have been suspicious of supposed 'service dogs' you have seen in grocery stores and other places?

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Apr 2017, 11:16

There's way more things to be annoyed at at grocery stores than service dogs. Like the 8 cars lined up in the fire lane at the grocery store with either nobody in them, or someone in a passenger seat on their phone (but still no driver). And all of them were there when I went in, and still there when I came out having finished my purchasing. Glad to know you're special enough to park your car right at the door.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Apr 2017, 11:16

Ah, another one of those where everybody is wrong.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Apr 2017, 11:19

Aresen wrote:I bet they stared angrily at the dog owners REALLY HARD. :shock:

---

On a similar note, how many of you have been suspicious of supposed 'service dogs' you have seen in grocery stores and other places?
To be clear, I'm considering the plaintiffs the criminals.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Apr 2017, 11:23

nicole wrote:

---

To be clear, I'm considering the plaintiffs the criminals.
Cosign. Along with the Third Circuit court.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Apr 2017, 11:38

This seems like one of those times where it would be really helpful to have some rules so people could speak without the government punishing them. Wishful thinking, I know.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Apr 2017, 11:49

Highway wrote:There's way more things to be annoyed at at grocery stores than service dogs. Like the 8 cars lined up in the fire lane at the grocery store with either nobody in them, or someone in a passenger seat on their phone (but still no driver). And all of them were there when I went in, and still there when I came out having finished my purchasing. Glad to know you're special enough to park your car right at the door.
I can't even.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 13 Apr 2017, 08:41

---

People bring their serviceless service dogs into my restaurant all the time and there's little we can do because of the ADA. They've stretched the definitions so that you can get your dog registered as a service animal for nearly any medical condition (via some actually bragging about fooling the system). We are allowed to tell them they can't be on the seats (which we usually reserve for the assholes who let their dogs eat off their plates... in a not-cheap restaurant... yeah...), but that's about it.

It may seem innocuous, but the business can be hurt in real terms if someone walks by, sees a dog on a lap eating from the table, and decides to patronize a more sanitary-looking establishment...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie