Re: Masculinity, so fragile

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 12:36

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:31
tr0g wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:18
Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 11:48
Alls I know is that Sheryl Sandberg, Ronda Rousey, or any given member of the US Women's National Soccer Team is way more competitive, aggressive, and violent than a wiener like me will ever be.
Yes, but you recognize that because they are competitive, aggressive and violent in stereotypically male ways. Females are no less prone to competition, aggression, and violence but it manifests differently primarily (as I understand it) due to culture. The culture of aggression and competition among teenage girls has received a lot of study due to bullying and suicide and it's a different thing than it is for boys. It's fucking brutal, and as Y members of the gene pool we'll never see it because a lot takes place in female only settings.
Agree. The fact that attribute x manifests differently in different age and cultural groups is one more wrinkle that makes it problematic to assign any attribute primarily to either gender.
I think you guys are vastly undervaluing the effect of hormones.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tr0g » 30 Oct 2019, 13:28

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:36
Hugh Akston wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Alls I know is that Sheryl Sandberg, Ronda Rousey, or any given member of the US Women's National Soccer Team is way more competitive, aggressive, and violent than a wiener like me will ever be.
Yes, but you recognize that because they are competitive, aggressive and violent in stereotypically male ways. Females are no less prone to competition, aggression, and violence but it manifests differently primarily (as I understand it) due to culture. The culture of aggression and competition among teenage girls has received a lot of study due to bullying and suicide and it's a different thing than it is for boys. It's fucking brutal, and as Y members of the gene pool we'll never see it because a lot takes place in female only settings.
Agree. The fact that attribute x manifests differently in different age and cultural groups is one more wrinkle that makes it problematic to assign any attribute primarily to either gender.
Well, I have way more direct experience with males in the 16-25 demographic and they are functionally insane & somewhat retarded. Risk? What's that you speak of, old man? We know not this concept. *splat*

I assume there is a similar effect going on with 16-25 year old women, but because I lack the experience with them (har, har) I don't know how it manifests. I mean, they seem to be less prone to the kind of risk-taking behavior that ends in pain and blood than the males do, but I dunno.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Oct 2019, 13:33

Plato correctly observed that the guardian classes (read: the military) need to be "high spirited but not extremely intelligent" or words to that effect. That's why you always want 18 year olds in your army. When the sergeant says "Take that hill!" they'll do it, or at least try. By the time they're all 25 the reaction is more likely to be "I don't know, Sarge, looks dangerous to me." Male hormones plus an inadequate appreciation of one's mortality are the stuff all armies have always been built upon.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 13:49

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 13:33
Plato correctly observed that the guardian classes (read: the military) need to be "high spirited but not extremely intelligent" or words to that effect. That's why you always want 18 year olds in your army. When the sergeant says "Take that hill!" they'll do it, or at least try. By the time they're all 25 the reaction is more likely to be "I don't know, Sarge, looks dangerous to me." Male hormones plus an inadequate appreciation of one's mortality are the stuff all armies have always been built upon.
I've read serious papers to the effect that the establishment deliberately maintains a permanent underclass that becomes inured to danger so as to have a surplus population to draw on in the event that an exterior threat suddenly emerges.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Oct 2019, 14:02

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 13:49
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I've read serious papers to the effect that the establishment deliberately maintains a permanent underclass that becomes inured to danger so as to have a surplus population to draw on in the event that an exterior threat suddenly emerges.
Yeah, I was at that meeting and the rest of the establishment agreed that poor, stupid people will continue to procreate, so all we really need to do is let nature take its course.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 14:27

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:02
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Yeah, I was at that meeting and the rest of the establishment agreed that poor, stupid people will continue to procreate, so all we really need to do is let nature take its course.
Ah okay good. But you guys are still ginning up exterior threats for when they grow large enough to become an interior threat right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Oct 2019, 14:40

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:27
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Ah okay good. But you guys are still ginning up exterior threats for when they grow large enough to become an interior threat right?
Yeah, that's pretty much a nature taking its course thing, too. For example, if we lose too many guarding our borders from immigrants, we'll just take in lots of immigrants and let them guard the border. It's kind of a perpetual motion deal.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 14:46

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:40
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty much a nature taking its course thing, too. For example, if we lose too many guarding our borders from immigrants, we'll just take in lots of immigrants and let them guard the border. It's kind of a perpetual motion deal.
I mean for when they start clogging up thoroughfares and shutting down factories, demanding stuff like a standard of living and such. How do we handle that?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Oct 2019, 14:49

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:46
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I mean for when they start clogging up thoroughfares and shutting down factories, demanding stuff like a standard of living and such. How do we handle that?
Oxycontin is a helluva drug
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 18:05

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:49
Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:46
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:

Oxycontin is a helluva drug
Check. It's comforting to know civilization is in good hands.
Now about that fiat currency...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Oct 2019, 18:18

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
What he is saying is that female competitiveness and aggression looks completely different in how it is manifested to male competitiveness. So if you’re looking for the same signals you’ll completely miss it. Think Varsity Blues vs Mean Girls.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Oct 2019, 18:46

Far enough down that road and I’d be forced to say “male” expressions of competitiveness are then things to be preserved as distinct from the other flavor. Asserting directly in the face of competition or threat matters. I think in a way distinct from asserting through back channels.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Oct 2019, 23:11

There's absolutely no difference between the sexes until it's time to get an antique cupboard up three flights of stairs.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Oct 2019, 23:26

Andrew wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 23:11
There's absolutely no difference between the sexes until it's time to get an antique cupboard up three flights of stairs.
I find the phone listings are best for that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2019, 23:55

Aresen wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 23:26
Andrew wrote:
And how often to a couple of hardworking gals show up when you call?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 31 Oct 2019, 01:52

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 23:55
Aresen wrote:
Andrew wrote:
That gives me an idea for a short film. But it involves three women in non-OSHA-approved workwear.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Oct 2019, 02:10

Hugh Akston wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 01:52
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Andrew wrote:
That gives me an idea for a short film. But it involves three women in non-OSHA-approved workwear.
But the dude is wearing at least one piece of PPE.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 31 Oct 2019, 07:33

Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Andrew wrote:
They fix the cable?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Oct 2019, 08:27

JasonL wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 18:46
Far enough down that road and I’d be forced to say “male” expressions of competitiveness are then things to be preserved as distinct from the other flavor. Asserting directly in the face of competition or threat matters. I think in a way distinct from asserting through back channels.
It feels more like a cultural difference in expression. Similar to how a Southerner saying, "Bless your heart," and a guido saying, "Eey, go fuck yourself," are saying the same thing.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2019, 10:39

Mo wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 08:27
JasonL wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 18:46
It feels more like a cultural difference in expression. Similar to how a Southerner saying, "Bless your heart," and a guido saying, "Eey, go fuck yourself," are saying the same thing.
But that's just it. They come from the same place, but they're not at all the same expression.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 31 Oct 2019, 11:09

Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I think Benny Benassi already made that film.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Nov 2019, 17:39

Short story: "The Feminist"

I thought it was pretty good until the picnic; the rest felt weaker and cliche to me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Nov 2019, 17:47

nicole wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 17:39

I thought it was pretty good until the picnic; the rest felt weaker and cliche to me.
Agree. The early parts about not knowing whether you're a creep kind of hit home.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Nov 2019, 20:01

Ouch. I skimmed over a couple of parts, but that was a good read. Though sometimes hard to do without wincing.

Though I suspect that, despite the title, the guys who might benefit the most from reading it probably never will.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Nov 2019, 20:13

nicole wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 17:39

By "pretty good" did you mean "moronic and pathetic"? The picnic was at least human if not good.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT