When do you think Trumpeachment will happen?

When do you think Trumpeachment will happen?

Poll ended at 18 Sep 2017, 14:57

Impeached and convicted before 2018 mid-terms
3%
Impeached and acquitted before 2018 mid-terms
7%
Impeached and convicted before 2020 general
10%
Impeached and acquitted before 2020 general
13%
Impeached and convicted between 2020 and 2022
No votes
Impeached and acquitted between 2020 and 2022
3%
Impeached and convicted after 2022 mid-terms
3%
Impeached and acquitted after 2022 mid-terms
No votes
Impeached multiple times before leaving office
No votes
Will not be impeached
60%

Total votes: 30

thoreau

Re: When do you think Trumpeachment will happen?

Post by thoreau »

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 14:28
Kolohe wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 22:33
I was one of the four people that were right! I never get these prognostication things right.
You, me, Dangerman, and one other.

I mean, technically there are seven other people who are equally right because the only thing that can be absolutely evaluated is 'impeached' but this batch of Republicans in the Senate are almost metaphysically certain to acquit, so I mean no in all but the most technical sense (which is the best sense) we are the four people who were right.
There is a scenario in which he is convicted. Sadly, there are 14,000,604 scenarios in which he isn't.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Is there any benefit to the Senate Rs holding an actual trial at all? I realize the Constitution requires some sort of trial proceeding, but I can't think of any reason it should be more involved than, "Here are the charges, now let's vote to acquit." I don't see any downside for Team Red.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren »

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2017, 18:23
thoreau wrote:I want to offer a hypothetical:
1) Suppose it came out that a person close to Trump met with a Russian official before election day and made some promises about sanctions or other foreign policy matters.
2) Suppose it also came out that someone in Trump's camp was informed of Russian hacking efforts prior to this meeting.

Would they impeach?
Without a Dem. majority there will be no impeaching period.

With a Dem. majority:
1) No. Everybody already assumes this is true. Nobody really cares.
2) No. Nobody really cares.

You need something new. Something more morally repugnant. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if The Donald supplies just that though.
I going to count that comment as a win.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

thoreau wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 14:35
lunchstealer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
I was one of the four people that were right! I never get these prognostication things right.

I mean, technically there are seven other people who are equally right because the only thing that can be absolutely evaluated is 'impeached' but this batch of Republicans in the Senate are almost metaphysically certain to acquit, so I mean no in all but the most technical sense (which is the best sense) we are the four people who were right.
There is a scenario in which he is convicted. Sadly, there are 14,000,604 scenarios in which he isn't.
There is also the scenario not considered by anyone in the poll (but has maybe as high as a 50% chance happening) that the final result will be "impeached but neither convicted nor acquitted"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 12:53
thoreau wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 14:35
lunchstealer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

There is also the scenario not considered by anyone in the poll (but has maybe as high as a 50% chance happening) that the final result will be "impeached but neither convicted nor acquitted"
Senate jury nullification?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Senate just doing nothing on the articles for the next 11 months. (Either because they simply don't, or the House never reports them out)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

Number 6 wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 16:00
I don't see any downside for Team Red.
For the party overall, there isn't, but there's 4-5 GOP Senators who are going to have to thread a pretty small needle when it comes to balancing the Trump base and the suburban voters who don't want to dislike the GOP, but who really don't like Trump, who who will run from anyone who looks like they're enabling him. The failure to do that is what lost them the House, and they already already picked up the easy flips in 2018 (other than Alabama, which doesn't count).
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Shem wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 20:05
Number 6 wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 16:00
I don't see any downside for Team Red.
For the party overall, there isn't, but there's 4-5 GOP Senators who are going to have to thread a pretty small needle when it comes to balancing the Trump base and the suburban voters who don't want to dislike the GOP, but who really don't like Trump, who who will run from anyone who looks like they're enabling him. The failure to do that is what lost them the House, and they already already picked up the easy flips in 2018 (other than Alabama, which doesn't count).
But are any minds going to change at this point?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

When is the GOP going to start banging the "we can't impeach a president in wartime" drum, I wonder?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Jennifer wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 23:47
When is the GOP going to start banging the "we can't impeach a president in wartime" drum, I wonder?
Are they not already?

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 23:47
To say that explicitly might be handing their enemies too much ammunition, in a way. The obvious comeback is "Since we're not in a declared war, that objection is irrelevant." (Other than "Ain't nothing in the Constitution that says that.") That would force the Republicans to either move for a formal declaration of war (unlikely) or retreat to the weaker stance of "well, effectively war, anyway" which would invite the comeback that since Trump isn't doing anything the last umpty presidents haven't done, that would mean no president is impeachable.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

At this point, even the least aware American voter knows we have always been at war with eastasia.

Highway

Post by Highway »

It's not like the Senate Republicans are stalling on the impeachment trial. They, led by the Kentucky Turtle, are saying " Send that stuff over here so we can get our sham trial over."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

White House 'broke law' by withholding Ukraine aid, says watchdog
The White House broke the law by withholding aid to Ukraine that had been approved by the US Congress, a government watchdog has said.

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) ruling comes as President Donald Trump faces an impeachment trial in the Senate related to the withheld aid.

He is accused of freezing aid to pressure Ukraine to investigate a political rival.
Sergeant Shelby sees "Nothing. Nothing."

Senate GOP Blows Off GAO Finding That Trump’s Hold On Ukraine Aid Was Illegal
Many Senate Republicans, including several members of the Appropriations Committee, seemed unconcerned by a government watchdog report released Thursday that found that the Trump administration’s broke the law by withholding aid to Ukraine.

While some GOP senators claimed they hadn’t seen the report, other Republicans admitted that it was unlikely to affect their thinking on impeachment, where the case against President Trump is set to be tried in the Senate starting Thursday. The legal opinion was written by the Government Accountability Office, established by Congress by the 1921 Budget and Accounting Act to investigate potential misuse of taxpayer money by the executive branch.

“The GAO report identifies the OMB and not the President and said it was for policy reasons, not for political reasons,” Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) told reporters Thursday. “I don’t think that it changes anything.”

The legal assessment, which was done at the request of Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), found that OMB had violated the Impoundment Control Act in the hold it placed on $214 million in Ukraine military assistance Congress had appropriated through the Defense Department. It said the rationale the OMB provided for freezing the assistance did not meet the reasons the law allows for delaying funding authorized by Congress. The GAO also said that it had not received from the administration the necessary documents that would have allowed it to make a similar assessment of the millions more in State Department Ukraine aid that was also frozen by the OMB.

Already, documents and witness testimony in the impeachment inquiry make clear President Trump ordered the freeze. Senate Democrats are seeking that White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, who also is the head of OMB, testify at the Senate trial, as well as other administration officials who were in charge of implementing the hold.

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL), the chair of the appropriations committee, claimed that GAO in its reports was often “trying to influence what we’re doing.”

“They shouldn’t be deciding who broke the law,” Shelby said.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Show me the statute that says that there are no exceptions to laws regarding crossings of the Rubicon. I want to see the exact part that says there's no exception for withholding aid.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Ken Starr has joined Trump's defense team.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/us/p ... owitz.html
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 12:45

John Yoo must have been busy.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:

Does this mean the show will drag on for five years?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 13:59
thoreau wrote:

It's the show that never ends
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Warren wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 14:02
Aresen wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 13:59
thoreau wrote:

It's the show that never ends
God, I hope not. I really wish the R's would just summarily dismiss. I'm tired of people pretending that anything matters, or that the outcome is subject to any uncertainty at all.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

One in 14,000,605, man.
--Mo

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 16:24
One in 14,000,605, man.
Team Thanos if the 50% who go bye-bye are Trump supporters.

Mo

Post by Mo »

So Trump has now employed the US Attorney and the defense attorney that got Epstein a sweetheart deal.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Number 6 wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 16:26
thoreau wrote:
One in 14,000,605, man.
IMG_-fztprq.jpg
IMG_-fztprq.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 775 times
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Number 6 wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 16:26
thoreau wrote:
One in 14,000,605, man.
Trump supporters are less than 50% of Americans.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.