Uber fucked

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Uber fucked

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jun 2017, 20:25

Highway wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I've already seen "OMG anti trust!" reactions. OFFS.
I doubt that they have much inbthe way of overlapping markets, so this is unlikely to be a problem.
Psh, what's with this actual analysis besides "OMG A big company and the only grocery store I go to! They're going to be too big and raise the price of my radicchio!"
Well for the DOJ and FTC, quite a lot.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jun 2017, 20:54

Highway wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I've already seen "OMG anti trust!" reactions. OFFS.
I doubt that they have much inbthe way of overlapping markets, so this is unlikely to be a problem.
Psh, what's with this actual analysis besides "OMG A big company and the only grocery store I go to! They're going to be too big and raise the price of my radicchio!"
If anyone's worried about high grocery costs, Whole Foods is already the wrong choice. And -- unlike customers of the bodegas and tiny indie markets you find in ghetto-ey neighborhoods, which also charge far more than "regular" grocery stores -- nobody who shops at Whole Foods does so because "I live in a food desert and lack transportation and can't afford to get to a regular supermarket, so this-here is my only non-fast-food option that's feasible for me."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jun 2017, 21:15

As an American I have a right to competitively priced organic kale and kombucha.

I don't even know what kombucha is, but I have a right to it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Jun 2017, 23:57

thoreau wrote:Soon your list of recommendations will include "People who bought this book also bought a $4 peeled orange and kale chips."

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
You misspelled "avocado toast."
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Jun 2017, 12:09

thoreau wrote:As an American I have a right to competitively priced organic kale and kombucha.

I don't even know what kombucha is, but I have a right to it.
You are the weirdest Californian I know.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jun 2017, 08:14

Mo wrote:If Kalanick takes a 3 month leave of absense, that's gotta be a face saving way of making it permanent 3 months later.
Nailed it. Except I expected them to draw out the process a bit more.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Jun 2017, 13:02

Mo wrote:
Mo wrote:If Kalanick takes a 3 month leave of absense, that's gotta be a face saving way of making it permanent 3 months later.
I'm actually a little amazed this stuff doesn't happen more often. While the whole SV expand-expand-expand mantra can get market share, adding that many employees in such a narrow timeframe, all from different working environments, is not going to produce anything close to a cohesive company culture.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jun 2017, 14:07

Painboy wrote:
Mo wrote:
I'm actually a little amazed this stuff doesn't happen more often. While the whole SV expand-expand-expand mantra can get market share, adding that many employees in such a narrow timeframe, all from different working environments, is not going to produce anything close to a cohesive company culture.
Typically the companies flame out or hire a grown-up to run the show before things get this bad. Uber had an crazy amount of success, powerful CEO (with a vise-grip on ownership) and a long list of folks who wanted to invest. This led to a bunch of investors that were perfectly willing to look the other way and, in later rounds, to choose investors who specifically DGAF. Also, most companies don't want to be complete shitshows, whereas TK seemed to thrive on it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Sep 2017, 11:58

TfL kicks Uber out of London for their business practices. A lot of this is being framed as London clearing the way for black cabs, but there are at least a half dozen ride sharing companies in London that are still operating.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Sep 2017, 09:11

It's black cabs tho. They are going after the biggest one with the reputation to win the fight in principle. The business practices were mostly same shit we always hear about safety and why no paid leave and some kind of data mining regulators wanted to be able to do. It's an attack on the model.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Sep 2017, 10:49

If it was just black cabs, then the minicab companies would be under fire. Uber got caught between overseas business and regulatory scandals (Greyball and the FCPA stuff hitting) and some local scandals related to background checks and sexual assault reporting. You can't ignore all the shady stuff. The shady stuff may be air cover, but Uber has basically been daring the hammer to come down internationally.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2017, 20:10

I don't care if Uber dies. Ride apps are a thing. The only thing I care about is the futile effort to make them not a thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Sep 2017, 21:09

Agree. Uber may be in some areas the worst but I find most of the regulatory stuff to be protectionist trash. The world in which anyone can do it without special fees or licenses or blah blah is the right world.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 24 Sep 2017, 23:01

There are evidently eight other uberlikes in London, so to me it looks like Uber just fucked itself.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 09:48

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 23:01
There are evidently eight other uberlikes in London, so to me it looks like Uber just fucked itself.
I think they aren't exactly uber like for the most part. They require the separate licencing and all participants must kiss the ring of the cartel. Lyft may be there, but taxi apps aren't the same thing.

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Sep 2017, 09:53

Lyft isn't there because they've been more focused domestically. Uber kisses the TfL ring to an extent. Many of the uberlikes have the same model, they're not just call a black car apps.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Oct 2017, 22:46

I look forward to all the Apple fanboys saying this really proves how much more Apple cares about your privacy than Google.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 21 Nov 2017, 12:06

Uber fined $8.9M by Colorado for allowing drivers with felony convictions, other license issues
In response to this, fyodor's FB friend wrote:Lyft isn't much better. The libertatian tech cowboys only care about profits, and everyone is so surprised, LOL
I guess cab companies are suddenly community-minded philanthropists?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Nov 2017, 12:45

So... We shouldn't employ felons as a matter of course? That's helpful. Giving these people a second chance is greedy bankster stuff. Fie! Fie on you!

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Dec 2017, 21:39

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Dec 2017, 21:52

Uber has called Jacobs an “extortionist,”
Ok, let's check it out.
referencing the $4.5 million settlement he received over his claims about the company’s secrecy measures.
Uh, what?

If this is true, Uber is probably the second best example of a company that deserves a corporate death penalty (Equifax is #1).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Dec 2017, 21:59

Your all timers are Enron, WorldCom, and they got death.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Dec 2017, 00:26

Enron and WorldCom didn't get death. They just hid their terminal illnesses. Arthur Andersen got death because they couldn't audit with a felony conviction.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 15:18

Travis Kalanick has feelings and stuff
As the clip ended, the three stood in stunned silence. Kalanick seemed to understand that his behavior required some form of contrition. According to a person who was there, he literally got down on his hands and knees and began squirming on the floor. “This is bad,” he muttered. “I’m terrible.”
Then, contrition period over, he got up, called a board member, demanded a new PR strategy, and embarked on a yearlong starring role as the villain who gets his comeuppance in the most gripping startup drama since the dot-com bubble.
It's like Uber, but for lawyers.
(lawyer fees over two years: an estimated $500 million)

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 15:21

i fucking love VCs
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul